Contacts list sync

Sheldo

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it’s possible to upload the contacts list from an IPhone X onto an RNSE mk2.

It prompts me on the phone if I wish to allow it but nothing shows up on the RNSE, I’m able to make and receive calls fine but have to dial out from my phone as opposed to using the unit to do so.

I searched a while back and something tells me I read somewhere about there being an update for the phone module?

The RNSE is SW: 0220
Is there an update for this also and is it likely that could be the issue?

Thanks in advance for any help

Jamie

Its nothing to do with the RNS-E unless the coding is incorrect, usually the phone coding should be 7 so it should look something like this to support the comfort setting 0xxx7xx.

Software 0220 is the latest.

But which phone ECU do you have? did you have a phone book beforehand? Could it be the phone ECU coding? Or the type of phone ECU you have?

Do you have the phone contacts in the cluster (MODE button on the steering wheel)

I’ve a B7 RS4 so both RNSE and phone Bluetooth model are retrofits. So I also don’t have a MFSW so all control would be through the RNSE.

RNSE is a 193G model
Bluetooth module is 8PO 862 335 M

Bluetooth module was installed by previous owner so I don’t know if they were ever able to load a phonebook in.

Is it possible the Bluetooth module doesn’t support phonebook upload or are there updates that can be made to that specific part?

Thanks

Jamie

M is perfectly find for phonebook transfer, when you select the TEL button on the RNS-E with your phone paired to it, what does it display?

It should be the dialler screen with a MEMORY button for the top left position i think.

From memory I believe it just enables me to dial a number when I press “Tel”. Will check when I’m out at the car in a bit.

If I make or receive a call (from the phone) it displays the contact info on the RNS-E.

You should have access to both of these screens.

Bluetooth1 Bluetooth4

Yes I do get both of those screens but all options on the first picture are greyed out.

So it sounds like an incompatibility between the rev M and your Iphone, you might want to replace the BT module with a later revsion

Do you have an older phine or different brand you can pair just for testing?

You might also want to check teh coding of the BT module, it should be 010722, but the pictures above suggest its correct.

The latest module was 8P1 862 335A if you can find one and of course get it coded up correctly for your car.

I just tried it with my partners Samsung Galaxy and it done the same as mine.

I have an old iPhone at home that I will try tomorrow. I will get the coding checked shortly as I’ve got someone lined up to come and do the coding to the RNSE (for DIS info and enabling it to go on and off with ignition, as it’s an A3 unit in an RS4)

If the above 2 show no signs of improvement then I will look at replacing with an 8p1. It’s only a minor issue but I like things to be fully functional so in my eyes is worth sorting.

Thank you for your help and I’ll update with my findings.

Ah, you didn't say it was coded for an A3, the A3 can bus is very different from the A4, that coud simply be it. Gte it all coded correctly.

SO did you have an RNS-E MK1 in before and did that work OK?

Whoops, should have realised that would be a potentially vital piece of info.

It did have RNSE MK1 previously but I didn’t realise I had BT prep until after I swapped the units.

It’s not that easy to swap units back to check also as long story short the Mk2 was a damaged unit that I repaired using a ribbon cable from the Mk1.

I will do, thanks for the help.

Tried a much older phone with it today and it was the same as my current phone and partners Galaxy.

Will get coding sorted as soon as my guys free and see if that sorts it.

Edit: quick question on coding, you stated it should be “0xx7xx” - diag via k-line.
Is my car not CAN? So “0xx3xx”?
Sorry for noob question, not long into ownership so still coming to terms with everything.

A b7 is K line diagnostic, yes it does have can bus, but it is always 7 for the phone system on the RNS-E.

The telephone system is also K-line and a BT module in a B6/B7 without a MFSW is 010722

Reactions: Sheldo
Awesome, thanks for clarifying.

To update and close off.

Coding was done today and I now have a contacts list.

Thank you for your help s8craig.