Constant Vibration through car

ChrisF88

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have had a constant gentle, fast, vibration through my entire car for some time now. This happens at all times - in idle (any gear of the auto box) and continues when driving. The speed of the vibration doesn't noticeably change at all.

The vibration can cause the sort of white knuckle or 'dirling' sensation through my hands after lengthy drives as if i have been using a drill for a prolonged period. Vibration seems to be through any part of the car.

I had almost got used to it then had a loan car today (older A3, also an auto) and it was completely still in idle and free of the underlying vibration.

I would suspect a engine or gearbox mount but would expect the vibration to change with engine speed.

Any ideas? Car is a 2015 A4 2.0 TDI CVT

Thanks.

A bit more history may help.
Mileage, owners, modifications, how long you had it, accidents, work done, etc.

Car has done 50k miles. Just 1 owner before me.

Car is a standard 2.0 TDI 150bhp Black Edition S-Line.

I have had it a year and pretty sure the vibration has been there since i bought it. Its not excessive or aggressive but definitely there. I just thought it was maybe normal with the auto box (first one I have owned).

No accidents that i know of.

Car has a FSH, gearbox (CVT/Multitronic) oil was done and recently had a full service, timing belt and water pump.

Seems like something is loose, or worn out.
Worth making sure that everything is torqued up properly.

When was last MOT, and what happened with it?

Maybe worth asking the last owner (assuming they tell the truth).

Only so many places it can be....

Sailed through its MOT around 5 weeks ago at the same time it had a full service etc as mentioned above.

Surprised they didn't mention it at the MOT as an advisory.
Get the engine mounts checked by someone who is experienced with these cars.

If you can upload a video of your engine movement (with bonnet open) as someone revs the engine repeatedly, it may help with the diagnosis.

If you can upload a video of your engine movement (with bonnet open) as someone revs the engine repeatedly, it may help with the diagnosis.
Will get a video taken tomorrow. Did a visual on it while revving and engine does move back towards the driver but to my untrained eye it doesn't look excessive. Did see a couple of hoses/pipes close to the engine vibrating quite heavily and quickly but when I video them it doesn't show very well.

Unfortunately don't have access to VCDS.

Starting to drive me nuts now. Pretty sure it's becoming worse when on the move too.

Reactions: audiwaterpump
Didn't manage to get that video taken but when driving the car today I noted a few other points that could be related.

When switching from D to R it can often be quite clunky/jerky when moving off. Most common when changing and starteingto reverse into my drive which is at an incline.

Also car seems quite juddery when slowing to a stop in traffic/at traffic lights. Almost seems to be when the gearbox disengages.

Vibration is strongest through the arm rest at idle.

The difference between my car and other (older) Audis i have driven is stark. When idling, you'd have a hard time telling the other cars were running. In mines there is no doubt!

My gut says a mount of some form.

Last edited:
Auto gear boxes.... I'll never trust them!
I'd try and find a really good independent garage that's into the brand..or how long since you bought it? Any warranty?

Auto gear boxes.... I'll never trust them!
I'd try and find a really good independent garage that's into the brand..or how long since you bought it? Any warranty?
Had it just over a year. No warranty left. Had the gearbox oil replaced (was due a change) earlier this year by my usual local indy.

Not sure the vibration is related to the gearbox as it happens in any gear (P,N,D,S) although I don't know the detailed workings of the auto box.

First Audi I have owned and as things stand I wouldn't buy another.

Well it's a strange one but if it does it when moving or stationary then it can only be gearbox or engine related. This is in no way meant as an insult but can other people feel when they are in the car?

Well it's a strange one but if it does it when moving or stationary then it can only be gearbox or engine related. This is in no way meant as an insult but can other people feel when they are in the car?
Yeah they can. One of the few car niggles that has bothered Mrs F as much as me.

Could be a bit of negative placebo but the car seems increasingly less composed when cruising along the same roads at a constant speed.

Would getting something like an AA multi check be a cheaper way than hours and hours in a garage to try and diagnose....

if you look on fleabay/gumtree etc someone local may be able to do a vcds scan for you for about £20.
I believe those engine mounts have sensors in them so it should register in the scan.