Help Please Considering A Re-Map On The Avant - Thoughts?

Bristle Hound

Staff member
Reaction score
My current Audi
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-avant-2-0-tdi-143-s-line-multitronic.391476/
was bought specifically to tow a caravan

Now if anyones towed before you will know you can never have enough torque

To extend its life in our hands I am considering a re-map, not necessarily aimed at power but torque & possible added fuel consumption, altho' thats not a must as long it doesn't go down lol

My main concern is that the Avant is over 9 years old with 85000 on the clock I'm not wanting to sacrifice reliability & longevity for the sake of a re-map

Any recommends on who to go thro would be helpful too

Thanks in advance :thumbs up:

85000 is nothing for a common rail block it should be fine for that mileage again :) I’ve read a few comments on various forums that the 170bhp is the boy for towing so can imagine a stage 1 map would be ideal on the 140bhp.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I had the below done by Celtic Tuning. My car had 63k at the time. I have had no problems since the re map and the car feels much more responsive.

Audi A4 (B8) 2.0 TDI CR 1968 cc 2008 170 bhp
Tuning Stage: Stage 1: 227 bhp 311 lb/ft

Reactions: V6_Man and Bristle Hound
I had the below done by Celtic Tuning. My car had 63k at the time. I have had no problems since the re map and the car feels much more responsive.

Audi A4 (B8) 2.0 TDI CR 1968 cc 2008 170 bhp
Tuning Stage: Stage 1: 227 bhp 311 lb/ft

Is that rolling road proven or a generic map? Like I’ve said before it’s a fair gain for just a map but fair play!

Reactions: ruairi83
Is that rolling road proven or a generic map? Like I’ve said before it’s a fair gain for just a map but fair play!
Was initially done by a lap top, but I had it on the rollers 6mth later and all was well.

Reactions: DickoB8
The only thing I’d be nervous about is putting that extra torque through the multitronic box. Has it got a full history?

Reactions: bobby singh and V6_Man
@Bristle Hound I had the Superchips BlueFin on my A4 Saloon 143bhp, great bit of kit and 2.5 years of hassle free motoring, put it on my A5 177bhp after that, again, no hassle.

JG

Reactions: Bristle Hound and V6_Man
Hi,
I had my 2.0tdi (120bhp) a4 avant remapped at Midland VW when car was on approx 143,00miles last year. Had a full health check pre remap along with a RR pre and post remap. The car started at 127bhp which increased to 179bhp, Torque rose even more significantly (can't remember figures off top of my head but remember it being more than my 8l s3 remapped.

Car feels a lot better now and have had no issues since (car is now on 156K). Remap was REVO.

Hope that helps.

R

These multitronic g'boxes are painful - I wouldn't go too crazy with torque maybe 420nm approx.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and V6_Man
Bearing in mind some of the comments I'm leaving well alone TBH
May next year will be an expensive time. Timing belt, water pump, major service & I'm going to throw a transmission service in too. Still should get some of it back when I sell it after its MOT :thumbs up:

Looking to replace in around 12 months time with something like a VW Toureg

Reactions: DickoB8
Just had mine done by Northern Performance last night along with a 'carbon deep clean'...early days yet & still plenty of testing remains but initial thoughts are that it is much more responsive in each gear, feels a lot smoother between the gears & is definitely quicker as I tested on a specific section of road where I normally only reach 70mph by a specific point & was up to 81mph following remap (without fully pushing it). Increases were from 170hp to 205hp & 350nm to 420nm. Car is less lumpy at idle & MPG increase is to be tested, but overall I'm happy. As mentioned, this also included 'carbon deep clean' so hard to distinguish how much of this is down to that alone. Overall I'm happy!

Reactions: spartacus 68 and Bristle Hound
My current Audi
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-avant-2-0-tdi-143-s-line-multitronic.391476/
was bought specifically to tow a caravan

Now if anyones towed before you will know you can never have enough torque

To extend its life in our hands I am considering a re-map, not necessarily aimed at power but torque & possible added fuel consumption, altho' thats not a must as long it doesn't go down lol

My main concern is that the Avant is over 9 years old with 85000 on the clock I'm not wanting to sacrifice reliability & longevity for the sake of a re-map

Any recommends on who to go thro would be helpful too

Thanks in advance :thumbs up:

I have had a GTTDI Golf 52 plate remapped to 200bhp and a Audi A3 remapped to 180 in the past and the difference is incredible

HOWEVER my personal experience was 2 blown turbos on the golf and 1 blown on the Audi. Ive currently got an Audi A4 143 and wont be remapping it. Personally after a bit research and speaking to a mechanic today coincidentally, i dont think in the long run they are good for your car at all.
As an example The Audi A4 same model as my car (B8) With 170hp has an uprated turbo and injectors as standard for the sake of an extra 27hp. To me that says it all. If your car would be reliable with just a remapped ECU Audi themselves wouldnt uprate these parts as factory standard.

Probably an unpopular opinion but just my experience.

I did post on this forum asking about remaps to seeother peoples opinion and seems to be a mixed view but ive decided against it this time, too costly in the end

Plus if you’ve got a multitronic gearbox i definitely wouldnt. If they break your looking at a £5-6k bill for a replacemnent

I have had a GTTDI Golf 52 plate remapped to 200bhp and a Audi A3 remapped to 180 in the past and the difference is incredible

HOWEVER my personal experience was 2 blown turbos on the golf and 1 blown on the Audi. Ive currently got an Audi A4 143 and wont be remapping it. Personally after a bit research and speaking to a mechanic today coincidentally, i dont think in the long run they are good for your car at all.
As an example The Audi A4 same model as my car (B8) With 170hp has an uprated turbo and injectors as standard for the sake of an extra 27hp. To me that says it all. If your car would be reliable with just a remapped ECU Audi themselves wouldnt uprate these parts as factory standard.

I did post on this forum asking about remaps to seeother peoples opinion and seems to be a mixed view but ive decided against it this time, too costly in the end

Plus if you’ve got a multitronic gearbox i definitely wouldnt. If they break your looking at a £5-6k bill for a replacemnent
@BigJoeyC - Thanks for your input buddy
I had already made my mind up to leave well alone

@BigJoeyC - Thanks for your input buddy
I had already made my mind up to leave well alone
Just based on my experience with remaps mate. Im sure many have no issues but after forking out £1000s in the past ive learned my lesson, just not worth the risk in my opinion. I’d personally rather buy a stock 3.0tdi and get the increased power that way

The issue is a lot of "tuners" just flash a file and off you go. Often the small turbos units can over spin due to tw being too small Vs the amount of fuel being injected.
With good data logging and good control over fuel and boost there is no reason why turbo should be blow, off course things go wrong anytime.

Its unfortunate this tuning game has turned into a figure chasing industry, make more power and you get more customers. Quality of work in some cases is secondary.

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: Bristle Hound and jdp1962
Well if any 140bhp owners are wanting more power my high spec 170bhp Avant will be up for sale shortly ;) (the urge for another petrol is becoming too much!)

Well if any 140bhp owners are wanting more power my high spec 170bhp Avant will be up for sale shortly ;) (the urge for another petrol is becoming too much!)
What is it you like more about petrols? The fuel consumption always makes me go diesel

What is it you like more about petrols? The fuel consumption always makes me go diesel

The noise, the drivability and just the overall fun factor. I came from 3 Cooper S’s previously so miss handling and childish pops and bangs :D

But then like you say you can’t beat the fuel consumption of a diesel and the low down power. In an ideal world I’d like both but we only need one car with having a company truck through the week.

My biggest issue is finding something with the similar practicality as the A4 but the fun factor of a revvy petrol and the hardest part within our budget....

I used Revo stage 1 for my A4 143. Never looked back and it needs it. The SW didn't add any additional stresses that I came across and I ran it for 3 years mapped.

Clearly now with a 3.0tdi mapped the bigger engine is absolutely awesome.

Good luck and go for it.

Been reading these posts with interest.

It looks as though unless you are happy to spend £000's on replacement and upgraded parts, you need to do the following: -

1) Choose a reputable company that actually know what they are doing
2) Don't get greedy. Go for a 'mild' map with a progressive torque delivery instead of maxed-out headline power figures
3) Make sure your EGR, Intake Manifold, Turbo and DPF are clean and healthy (i.e. not asthmatic) before you start
4) Don't expect your mild-mannered repmobile to suddenly become a Porsche slayer. Perhaps expect just a bit more oomph across the rev range for your £300.
5) Don't drive it any differently once you have had the map done but be pleasantly surprised by how much better the car feels.

If you need loads more performance, buy a different car.

J:)

Reactions: Bristle Hound, jdp1962 and Geoff Morritt