confused over new tax prices

chris_20

Reaction score
chaps i know theres bin alot of new adjustments to car tax but to be honest i never really pay attention to these kinda things ,well news in general i never pay attention too. so anyway i was looking at a newspaper whilst bored in work last week and discovered that car tax for a audi a4 saloon is being increased to £440, this cant be right surely??? this is absolutely obsurd if its an accurate figure?:uhm:

Depends on the engine size and date of registration. I got my tax yesterday, £145 for 12 months.

mine is a 2002 1.9tdi.£145 sounds alot better that ****** £440

The £440 will be next years rate for band G (+225g/km) vehicles I think. Currently its at £400.

Chris I've been reading same newspaper but Issac is right thats for diferent engine.
Our diesels are "safe" for now.I paid about £2 more for 6 months Tax then last year.
But still thats way too much (I think) :think:

There's a very simple table that give the rates for 2008/9, 2009/10 and 2010/11 on page 122 of the downloadable Budget Report.

The big loser is someone with a car registered between 2001 and 2006 that has CO2 emissions of between 226 and 255 g/km. In 2008/9 they'll pay £210, in 2009/10 they'll pay £415 and in 2010/11 they'll pay £430 - a £220 increase in 2 years.

By comparison a "gas guzzler" registered from 2006 with emissions over 255g/km will pay £400 in 2008/9, £440 in 2009/10 and £455 in 2010/11 - an increase of £55 over 2 years.

So much for it being a budget that taxed "gas guzzlers"! - actually the biggest increases are on family cars and not gas guzzlers.

I paid £210 for 12months (1st time ive actually gone for 12months)
Issac, you lucky, thats cheap aint it.
Its annoying because I thought my 1.8t would be cheaper than my mates S4 but hell no...:uhm:

Well, thanks to those tossers Brown & Darling, my car tax next year will be £300 instead of the £210 due to my 2.5 TDi Q Sport Avant chucking out 211 grms/Km....so, yes, I will be cashing in my tax disk in February 09, and re-taxing my car for another 12 months at £210.....fingers crossed that the UK electorate will wake up and hound so called New Labour out of office for the next generation....until everyone forgets how crap they are....

Its great to know that the increased UK Car Tax revenue will be wasted on MP's expenses.....and will make absolutely sod all difference to the worlds Co2 emmissions as my car already exists and I am still going to use it....

What I really do not understand is that if I owned an RS4 for example and did 5000 miles a year in it, my emmIssions would pale into insignificance to someone in their 2 litre diesel doing 40,000 miles a year !!!!!!!....so in my view this is just yet another cynical ploy to get more tax out of anyone owning a half decent car using that worn out excuse of "not being green"....so its not the politics of envy then.....

Rant over ;-)

What I really do not understand is that if I owned an RS4 for example and did 5000 miles a year in it, my emmssions will pale into insignificance to someone in their 2 litre diesel doing 40,000 miles a year !!!!!!!

I do around 30k per year in my TDI and just paid for £145 for 12 months!

Anyone who thinks this government is doing all this in the name of environment is sadly mistaken I believe. Money money money is all they are interested in. They'll need it to pay for the extra 23k per year they are due to recieve in lieu of being able to claim housing expenses. Disgusting!

Bwastards!
Ive also read that Diesel will hit the £1.50 ltr by the end of August!!:faint:
My berlingo will cost nearly £100 to fill......:wtf:

Diesel at £1.50 a litre by the end of August! Down here in the south it'll be that high by the end of June!! Saw a Texaco station at £1.31.9 this afternoon - filled up last Thursday at £5.85 a gallon (£76!!). 18 months ago when i bought the car i could fill up for less than £60! So even though we pay less road tax than you guys with petrol motors we're getting shafted by at least 50p a gallon at the pumps! I've already had to take a second job to pay for the fuel to get to my main job! Thank fudge i'm getting 51 mpg! :crying:

I just paid £115 for 6 months tax, my 52 plate 1.8T 163 is 199g/km co2 and thats what determines the tax bands. Most cars over 2 litres and petrol will exceed 200g/km and that pushes them into a much higher cost band.

Euro iv and v diesels are already below the same limit unless 2.5 litres or bigger.

Thats why I went for the 1.8t., I wanted a petrol turbo but i'm not paying £440 a year for road tax! Saying that, for the well off, it won't be a problem, so it really only hurts the working bloke....

My 3.0v6 quattro goes up from £205 to £450 over the course of the two year escalation. Nice.

There is talk of another Govt U-turn on this in prospect though as people have now started to realise just what's in store and are pushing the Government on it to think again (as per the 10p tax). The average escalation is £100 for most people - but the whole thing is a shambles.

The car tax hike was the final nail that made my mind up to part with my A4 3.0 qs, even though I desperately didnt want to! My sensibe side won the arguement with my "what the hell" side, although I could of afforded it my basic thought was i'd rather spend my money on other stuff than tax!! I think i jumped with perfect timing too as the market hadnt completely woken up to the fact used big engined cars were going to get screwed by the new tax policies. If i'd waited another 2 weeks I would of lost easily a grand or 2! I'll be paying £90 for 12 months tax next year :o.k:

In fairness though im seriously happy with my little Smart Roadster as in the sig pic, its a total laugh to drive, handles better than the Audi did anyway & gives you 50mpg when you rag it, near 60mpg when you dont! Plus the noise from the 698cc mid-mounted 3 cyclinder twin spark turbo charged engine is almost as good as the V6 was, almost!! I'll keep her for a while and see what happens, if the tax rules change to something sensible & fuel dosent end up being £2/ltr then i'll look for something with 4 rings on the front again! In the meantime there's some colour coding on the table and possibly some engine tuning, a £145 remap would give me about 115bhp/ton which is better than a A4 1.8T 163!!!

I must have been in a comma because I thought it the tax increase was only on brand new cars.... looks like mine will be up for sale on principle, so much for getting an S4 too.

Seriously I hate this corrupt country.

There is talk of a u turn yet by the government.
I dont think Mr Brown really understood the impact when he signed up to this plan. It will turn voters against him, and thats something he can ill aford at the moment.

Not sure if I could drop to a small car with a small engine just to save 200 odd quid a year though.
In fairness, £200 is the equivalent of 3 nights in the pub isn't it?
My physique would probably thank me if i actually stayed in for 3 nights over the course of the year and spent the money i save on car tax!

There, i feel better about paying £400+ tax already :eek:)

Bring it on Gordon, you old fat barsteward

Not sure if I could drop to a small car with a small engine just to save 200 odd quid a year though.

In my case it wasnt £200 though! On car tax i'll be saving £350 and about £1,000 on fuel based on roughly 11,000pa I do, more if the price of fuel keeps rising! Thats a reasonably chunky amount of cash to be saving and was just too tempting!

In my view I think they need to set the bar at a large family saloon eg a 2.0 Mondeo, anything with emissions below pretty much stays the same, anything with emissions way above this limit gets the shafting with the levels going on beyond the M band of 255+. For instance a Ferrari F430 spitting out 420g/km would pay the same as a A4 3.0 qs with its 260'odd g/km, not how is that fair? Make Mr Ferrari owner pay £1k tax every year to make up for it, he can afford it more than Mr & Mrs Smith with 3 kids in their Mondeo! A mileage related tax wouldnt work because people doing high mileage would suddenly start clocking their cars leaving a wave of totally fcuked clocked cars hitting the used market! Basically we're fcucked as long as there's a road tax in place at all! Charge £100 entry to all foreign HGV's also I reckon, that'll perk up the UK haulage market a little maybe?

Im sure tho that most disabled people would rather be able bodied than get free road tax.

:)

my father is disabled, so i get the free tax as my car is registered as disabled.

hence why im 24 with an avant, and trying to persuade him to buy me a cabriolet !

we did the wheelchair in the boot test so he has no excuses :)

and ur right i would rather pay £400 a year and my dad have better health

Hah! Mine only goes from £210 to £270 in 2010 - mind you i'll likely be looking again in 2 years time :)

Hah! Mine only goes from £210 to £270 in 2010 - mind you i'll likely be looking again in 2 years time :)

I can't see this government freezing the tax rate, by the time 2010 comes up I'm sure the VEL rate will have risen.

I think the government should be paying me to keep my 3.0 QS off the road! :eyebrows: I do about 25 miles a week in it! :yes: I could sell it to someone that does 600 miles a week in it!
Not happy about spending £400+ on road tax for doing under 1500 miles a year, on top of the tax on fuel already, but I won't be selling just because of Brown the tosser :no:

icon_dance.gif

I can't see this government freezing the tax rate, by the time 2010 comes up I'm sure the VEL rate will have risen.

Well thats what the budget projection says, the 1.8t 163 for instance is only 199 g/km co2 thats why the tax is cheap.

They just want high co2 vehicles off the road. Except tho the higher tax taken should be used to fix the environmental problems the car creates instead of being put in the public purse for other crap.

:)