Confused on dynamic mode exhaust

kilojade

Reaction score
After reading on this forum I came across a post saying that if your in dynamic mode and u switch the engine off. Then switch it back on the car is no longer in dynamic mode! Even though it states it's still in dynamic...However i have just got my rs3 today and after trying this when tuning car back on its defo still in dynamic coz when I Rev the engine it pops and bangs.

And just a question. Can I have all the sound of the exhaust but have it in d? To do this would I select Auto then pull the stick down?

You may have to get out lock/unlock the car to reproduce the issue of not being back in dynamic mode.

The pops/bangs are made by the engine over fuelling, not by the exhaust mode. It is the Engine/Gearbox being in dynamic that produces the bangs. If you look in the Individual settings you will see what I mean. The Exhaust setting does stay in dynamic after an ignition cycle, it is the Engine/Gearbox that switches quietly back to Auto without telling you (and so requiring cycling through the modes).

If you are in Auto drive select mode, and then pull gearstick back to S, then yes, this will put the car into a more Dynamic setting for Engine/Gearbox and Exhaust - so you should get pops/bangs if you drive it hard in that mode.

When you stop the car in dynamic the next time you turn it back on it remains in dynamic but effectively the gears + engine have turned off. You need to cycle through the modes again to enable it. Not sure why although some think it may be to preserve mpg given it over fuels to get the noise.

TX.

Edit - Jose got in before me!

Thanks for info Mate makes sense!

Another quick q, when the car is ticking over in dynamic it's loud! I like it! When start to pull away and drive normally it goes quiet until you floor it. Does the flaps close when you start to pull away? Then re open when floor it. If so anyway of keeping flaps constantly open?

My old rs3 had a sport button witch opened the flaps and would constantly stay open when driving Normal and fast. I just like my cars sounding beefy at all times lol.

Sorry just 1 more! If i turn car off and turn back on as you guys say it will show its in dynamic but need to cycle back though the modes... But to save going back though the modes ect it be a lot easier just to knock the gearstick back and that puts it back in full dynamic correct?

Sorry just 1 more! If i turn car off and turn back on as you guys say it will show its in dynamic but need to cycle back though the modes... But to save going back though the modes ect it be a lot easier just to knock the gearstick back and that puts it back in full dynamic correct?

I hoped this but it seems not the case :(

Mine stays pretty loud when pulling away even gently- not sure on that one

I heard that even VCDS can't keep it loud :(need to cycle modes but no big deal I guess.

TX.

Can you not just set individual mode up and then select via * button on steering wheel each time you get in the car ?

Can you not just set individual mode up and then select via * button on steering wheel each time you get in the car ?

That's what I do. 5 presses of the * button is now muscle memory after engine start.

Beat me to it. I press the button on the dash 5x and its in dynamic!

But button on steering wheel? Not seen that?

What I have noticed is when in sport dynamic the engine ticks over like 1100 sounds beefy!! But when start to pull away 1 of the flap closes and engine goes a little quieter but then re opens when you boot it...

Really need to find a way to keep these flaps open at all times. So if anyone noes how let me know!!!

The star button on the wheel can be set up to do different things. Look in settings.

TX.

Flaps seem to be open at idle, then close when you pull away and then open again at about 3500 rpm. The noise definitely changes at about that rpm, but only in dynamic exhaust mode, so that's all I can think of to explain the change in sound levels through the revs. Better ideas welcome...!

Better ideas welcome...!

For the optimum driving experience and exhaust flap engagement....drive her like you stole her and give it some....problem solved

Even at only up to 4K revs I feel a heavier right foot engaged the flaps perfectly and I still get the pops and bangs....can't wait for 1k and FREEDOM!!

I can't believe it! For the last 3 months I've been driving about in what I THOUGHT was Dynamic mode!! But this was not the case...till I found this thread! You actually have to turn Dynamic mode back on every time you start the car, by going to drive select! For me, since I set up Individual with the exhaust and engine bits as Dynamic, I did not need to scroll to actual Dynamic setting again, as all I did was go to the drive select screen and since Individual is first in the scroll, and since I had it pre-set, I instantly heard the exhaust notes change, even with gearbox in D mode! Why would Audi do something so stupid and require you to manually activate it every single time? I wonder if the new model will do this...

Why would Audi do something so stupid and require you to manually activate it every single time? I wonder if the new model will do this...

IMHO this would be a safety related decision to protect "whoever" gets in the car car next, that it reverts to a more gentle setting.

Reactions: Terminator x
That and the motor car industry desire to keep their overall 'fuel efficiency' high for public perception they are trying to save the planet. I think pretty well every manufacturer that has a drive select option has a default ,when engine off, of the most fuel efficient saving mode.

As has been mentioned before, the problem is not so much that it defaults to Auto, it's that it still incorrectly reports to being in the previous mode.
My BMW defaults to Comfort every time, but it says it's in that mode, so no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Terminator x
You make a very valid point.

I am afraid that VAG cars let themselves down in the un-user-friendliness of their technology. This one a classic example. It would take no brains at all from an IT professional to make it so the the screen shows a default to the comfort mode.

We made a HUGE mistake in changing out a BMW X1 for a Porsche Macan and noticed straight away that amateurs had programmed everything! Most annoying was what VAG call ;jukebox' and BMW calls it as it is: a hard drive! In a BMW when you play a new CD it simply asks if you want to copy it to the hard disk. Not so on a Porsche! Hell the car's IT is such cr*p, that only new format CDs can be copied to the jukebox and even then only manually and no artwork is copied over either!

And do not believe Porsche sales! Pre purchase we were told how much demand they are in and we would get our money back no problem! Returned a week after purchase and the reality a totally different story! :bye::bye: