Confused as to what's happening

RS_BUBBA

Reaction score
Right I don't understand my haldex system.

when I bought the car I tried high revs and launching the car no real wheel spin.

so today I booted off from the lights the wheels lit up! ESP was off and it just lit up like front wheel drive.
so coming off an island same thing again, now I'm thinking ***!

So I've just been on a private road tried a few high rev standing starts minimal wheel spin and it's like you feel the Quattro kick in.

is it knackered? Or will Quattro not kick in if the wheels spin to fast?

The rear kicks in when the fronts spin, but they should only spin momentarily so it's possibly not working, instead of trying hard launches an buggering something else in the process.

Try this instead

Mechanical Function-test of the Haldex coupling.

- Rollout in circle

Aim: Check the function of the coupling and the response on the car. Is to be done on level ground.

1. Drive in circle with minimum turning radius at a speed of about 10 km/h.
Disengage the clutch and close the throttle.
Let the car roll to full stop.

2. Drive in circle with minimum turning radius at same speed as in case 1.
Disengage the clutch and run up the engine to 3000 - 4000 rpm.
Let the car roll to full stop.

* If the coupling is working the car will stop in about half the distance in case 2 compared with case 1.

* If there is no difference in the two cases there is a malfunction of the coupling. The problem could be caused by the coupling or by missing signals from the car. A further inspection has to be done to be able to determine the cause of the malfunction.

* If a noise from the HLSC is noticed when turning or driving in circles the oil in the coupling is damaged. The damage can be caused by overheating or by water in the oil.

Cheers for that mate, I'll read it a few more times then try it out.

Any body know of garages that know what there doing with the haldex system so I can sort the car out should it be broken?

I don't know if mine is working either.. When I boot it through first gear and change into second my traction control light flashes? What's that all about? My TC is turned off but the ltraction control light flashes when I'm flat out through first and second.. It flashes for a second, that's it, is it a indication that the front wheels are loosing traction and the Quattro system is being activated?

Sorry I can't shed any light on your situation bubba, as you can tell from what I just said, I'm clueless

I've just been reading some more on this, another way to see if the haldex is working

Pull handbrake up one click this will dis engage the haldex so will obviously wheel spin, try again with hand brake off if haldex works then you should notice the difference.

The driving round in circles is a much easier way to test it and alot more controlled than launching the car hard.

Next step would be to plug it into vcds and scan for faults and run the output tests on the haldex to test the pump and controller.

Rupe I will definitely try that.

Is there some circumstances when you will get the front wheels spinning past 20mph even if the haldex works.

Did I read some where If I put the car on a ramp with engine running all four wheels will spin?

Rupe just tried the driving in circles the car defiantly stops sooner with the revs held not half the distance but it's definitely less.
When I do it with the revs can almost feel the car slowing down is that right?

Yes sounds like it's working as it should, still might be worth getting it scanned with vcds to see if their is any stored faults.