Condensation

Reaction score
Oh joy the dreaded damp Audi.

20191002 234315

Buy a bmw lol.
...........or a Ford with the heated screen. This seems to be a problem in the V.A.G group. All my MK5/MK6 Golf GTI's did it as did my S3 RS3 & now my SQ5. Shame they don't fit a heated screen these days?.

Reactions: BakPak
It would be great if a company could offer a heated screen as a replacement.

............ive tried every setting possible on the climate/heating contols to stop it & still seem to get it. ''And yes'' pollen filter/air filter etc have all been changed but still get it.

You have something wet or damp in the car, heated screen etc is not the solution.
That's a lot of condensation which would suggest you have damp in the car , possibly wet under the carpets or similar around the front of the interior.
I had it a few times the inside of my rear window, after a good look it was damp in the spare wheel well , water from the leaking rear wiper motor was leaking down unseen into the spare wheel well.
Needless to say as soon as I addressed the leak and associated damp the condensation stopped , never happened since.

Reactions: Sidrick
You have something wet or damp in the car, heated screen etc is not the solution.
That's a lot of condensation which would suggest you have damp in the car , possibly wet under the carpets or similar around the front of the interior.
I had it a few times the inside of my rear window, after a good look it was damp in the spare wheel well , water from the leaking rear wiper motor was leaking down unseen into the spare wheel well.
Needless to say as soon as I addressed the leak and associated damp the condensation stopped , never happened since.
............trust me there is no damp in my car. Rubber mats go in from the end of October untill the end of March so no damp carpet. It's a common problem across the V.A.G. Loads of people on various forums have commented on the same thing.

Nor mine, dry everywhere. The rear window is also covered in condensation but the demister shifts it a few minutes. My golf was exactly the same!

I must have the driest condensation free Audi made.

Reactions: CHEZ
I can guarantee if I leave a damp cloth or similar in my avant tonight the windows will be covered, otherwise even during really wet and damp wether I have no condensation issues.

As before my car is 100% bone dry as have all my other VW/Audi cars. It always seems to be the front screen as in the frist post that holds the mouisture for some reason?.

Previous owner? I only ask as I vape and one of the chemicals leaves a film on the screen that makes the moisture stick to it this time of year.
Failing that theres got to be some damp somewhere, as that's not normal.
Have you checked your battery tray for water? That could be finding itsway into the carpet under the dash.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Don't smoke or vape & forever cleaning the glass when required. Most forums who have raised this issue seems to agree it's down the the rake/angle of the front screen & seems to be where the level of warm air/ heat sits & then forms mouisture on the screen as it cools?.

As before my car is 100% bone dry as have all my other VW/Audi cars. It always seems to be the front screen as in the frist post that holds the mouisture for some reason?.

The thing is that there is condensation on the inside glass which can occur when the inside airtemp is warmer than out with a percentage of water in the air , normal human breath has water in it , and then there's "Condensation" that's caused by wet or damp in the car.
In my limited 35 years of car ownership the first pic is not normal , unless the pic is misleading, that's is a lot of water on the inside , looks like large water droplets .
I'm not saying it doesn't happen to lots of cars , but my point is that there is a line between whats normally occurring under different circumstances and what is not, I don't believe that is normal .
Just my input but i'd be looking at possible water ingress if it were me.

My b7 is an avant but still a B7 , I don't get any , the only time I get light condensation is when I've been out with the woofers in the rain, their breath steams up the windows briefly or if I park up with engine off with a take away etc, then it will steam up.
Once I lock it up at the end of the day , in the morning there is nothing.
Maybe i'm just very lucky , or my special edition is very special indeedy.:yes:

If there's condensation on the inside of the screen there's moisture getting into the cabin.

I've used these with success when I can't find a small leak - Pingi LV-A300 Dehumidifier for Car and Home - Can't link from Amazon without the link going crazy.

If there's condensation on the inside of the screen there's moisture getting into the cabin.

I've used these with success when I can't find a small leak - Pingi LV-A300 Dehumidifier for Car and Home - Can't link from Amazon without the link going crazy.
Very correct.

Reactions: El-Cap
My car does the same, as did my old Mondeo... I miss the heated screen though as it was epic at clearing it quickly.

Both my old Audi and golf had fabric seats. I always wondered if a leather interior made a difference?

Well, its been a real old damp night in my neck of the woods and most certainly damp window conditions , all my avant windows are free from damp on the insides.:yes:

My take on it is as before. The warm air that builds up in the car after having the climate/heating on sits in the car & against the front screen. As the temp drops & the glass cools this seems to cause the mouisture to form on the inside of the screen. Again as before all my cars are have been bone dry & winter mats fitted & all have had a bit of condensation at some time on the front screen over the Autum/Winter.

Maybe just a case of every car is different then, totally agree with you but I feel the OP has more than just a light condensation issue from having the climate control on, anyway other things to do now, have a good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: RS3 S.
Couldn't be bothered to read all the replies, but here's a cheap and easy trick - you only need a pair of socks and some cat litter (the Fuller's earth stuff).

Fill a sock with cat litter, fit other sock over it (you can always sew together), hide under front seat.

Reactions: CHEZ and ktmpedro220
Couldn't be bothered to read all the replies, but here's a cheap and easy trick - you only need a pair of socks and some cat litter (the Fuller's earth stuff).

Fill a sock with cat litter, fit other sock over it (you can always sew together), hide under front seat.

20191005 162416

When it rains the warning for number plate bulb comes up and last week with the heavy rain the tail light warning as well.
It's bone dry in the boot and I can't see or feel any damp...

Not sure chap, I expect another one of the saloon guys will know though.

does this help, kinda suggest held on by fasteners and bonding material but cant expand much more.
Upload 2019 10 5 21 2 0

Mate check the battery compartment area water builds up underneath the battery and then leaks into the car. Leaves and debris build up blocking the drain hole. Removed the battery and there's a rubber grommet covering a hole. just remove the grommet.

What's a good cat litter that don't have any smell to it?

Mate check the battery compartment area water builds up underneath the battery and then leaks into the car. Leaves and debris build up blocking the drain hole. Removed the battery and there's a rubber grommet covering a hole. just remove the grommet.
Checked the plenum chamber and it's dry mate.