Condensation on oil filler cap?

One Spoke

Reaction score
Hey guys. New on here and I'm sure you've heard this question many time before, however ..............

I bought a 2007 S3 last October and a couple of weeks ago needed to top up the oil. When I took the cap off I noticed a very small amount of pale brown 'sludge' on the underside (as in not covering the whole cap, just a bit on the rubber O ring). I cleaned it off and checked it again this lunchtime, only to find another smalll amount on there. I cleaned it again then checked it when I got home from work and there's a tiny bit again.

I do a 26 mile journey each way to work and no short journeys (which I understand is the main cause of this condensation?). I had a Mk 4 Golf GTI 1.8T for 7 years before that and it never had this problem.

I read somewhere that maybe the 2.0T engine is more susceptible to condensation.

The car runs faultlessly and idles smoothly. The dip stick is clean and the coolant is still the nice clear pink colour. No white smoke from the exhaust and not overheating.

Am I just being paranoid? (obviously I'm worrying about it being the head gasket, so looking for some reassurance if possible)

Other than that, love the S3:icon_thumright:

Yeah dont worry, if you check it all the time you will notice that the build up will be worse after short journeys, take it on a 30 mile motorway trip and it will disapear!

Yeah as already said its not an issue if its on the cap, now if its in the engine then you've got a big issue, but shouldnt worry.

More of a worry is why you needed to top up the oil on a 2007 car ?.....Is it something that S3 owners need to do ? I dont know. I certainly never need to top up my 04 car between services ?

More of a worry is why you needed to top up the oil on a 2007 car ?.....Is it something that S3 owners need to do ? I dont know. I certainly never need to top up my 04 car between services ?

When I say top up, it was only 1/4 litre, so not drastic.

PS Don't tell me I've bought the only S3 that uses oil - that would be typical of my luck! Anyone else's use any oil between services? And if so, how much? Paddy's got me worried now!

(I assume the Audi warranty won't cover it as the manual says the engine could use some oil (up to 0.5 litres/1,000km)?)

Actually it could be anything upto 1 litre per 1k, dont worry about it as thats nothing mate, my S4 V8 used to drink oil, its fine unless its dropping that amount in a week.

Actually it could be anything upto 1 litre per 1k, dont worry about it as thats nothing mate, my S4 V8 used to drink oil, its fine unless its dropping that amount in a week.

:icon_thumright: Thanks - I feel better now.