Condensation in headlight

ollie2013uk

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Has anyone else had this on there new Audi's?

Really annoying for a car of 6 months old!!

When it's rained & After a wash:

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,246
I think it’s quite normal. The headlights are not completely sealed so water can get in. LED headlights don’t get as warm as halogen headlights so they take longer to clear up.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Chances are the rear lights are the same! When I had the S3 I took it in to show them, it's a common thing!

Not just Audi. Had it on a BMW and Smart Car previously too!

Yeah l am afraid its normal,but each headlight has a condensation bleed valve/grommet in them of such so it's dispersed through these,heat off the engine causes condensation mate.especially if its wash time or you've driven in the rain

and @S32B if you had condensation in yer rear light clusters well its not common at all

When I took my car for it's service at 3 years old, they reported that there was a small amount of condensation in one headlight. I hadn't even noticed.
The guy said that it wasn't serious and didn't affect the MOT, but they wanted to replace it now because there was still 2 weeks left in warranty.
I thought that was pretty good service. I took it in 2 weeks later (after the warranty had expired actually) and they changed it while I waited.

I get condensation in both of my pfl led headlights, even the one that was replaced less than 3 months ago in an attempt to cure a persistent fault code (which still exists).
I think it looks unsightly and imo shouldn't be there but I guess it'll be treated as a "characteristic"

Interesting as mine has it on the passenger side headlight. In for gearbox oil change on Friday and I've flagged the headlight as a fault so see how I get on.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06
There was an internal TPI for Xenon and LED related fogging in PFL vehicles, where the fix was to drill some two small holes in to the rear of the clusters so a rubber grommet could be installed. Not seen anything for FL vehicles as yet.

Reactions: -Ju-
So dropped the car off and apparently they all do that Sir! I commented that it's dangerous as can't see clearly at night and that I'm expecting warranty to cover it so game on!

TX.

Fyi they replaced my headlight under warranty. It was bad though, near enough the entire headlight fogged up so not like the OPs.

TX.

Fyi they replaced my headlight under warranty. It was bad though, near enough the entire headlight fogged up so not like the OPs.

TX.

Winner mate, l had the two xenon headlights changed on my focus ST3..... Ye could've plonked a couple of goldfish in them they where that bad..... £785 plus vat each not ****** cheap

Reactions: Terminator x
Yeah I get that, just shows though how manufacturers make their money post sale!

Official response from Audi :
Xa3J5

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_b11.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_b11.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 3,040
Sorry but in my opinion this is simply not good enough for an Audi car, let alone a car that you send almost £40k on. I'm in the fortunate position of having close contact to a solicitor & and a barrister so i will see if I can push something forward towards Audi and there total disregard to a known fault / problem with there cars.

Sorry but in my opinion this is simply not good enough for an Audi car, let alone a car that you send almost £40k on. I'm in the fortunate position of having close contact to a solicitor & and a barrister so i will see if I can push something forward towards Audi and there total disregard to a known fault / problem with there cars.
I'm not sure it's my place to say this, but I think you're wasting your time.

Have you Googled 'headlight condensation'?

It happens to umpteen makes of car, not just Audi, and the headlight units are probably made by Hella, who probably also supply BMW, and Mercedes, and Renault, and Peugeot, and Fiat, and Maserati and Lamborghini as well as Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and .Grubb.

I've had headlight condensation in virtually every car I've owned for yonks. It looks a bit unsightly, but it always goes away by itself.

It didn't happen in the seventies and eighties when most manufacturers used the same off-the-shelf round or rectangular glass units from the likes of Lucas and Cibié, but has become a common occurrence with the advent of model-specific computer-designed moulded plastic jobs.

Not common for it to happen in the rear lights... but see this all the time in headlights. Just normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Phutters
total disregard to a known fault / problem with their cars...
This time of year a vented light unit draws in moist damp air as the warm air within it contracts & cools once switched off. I don't think you'll get very far blaming Audi for the atmospheric conditions where you park! :highly amused:

This time of year a vented light unit draws in moist damp air as the warm air within it contracts & cools once switched off. I don't think you'll get very far blaming Audi for the atmospheric conditions where you park! :highly amused:

Totally disagree with your throwaway comment, I've got a BMW 1 series parked next to it and that hasn't done it!

Never mind soon we'll all be surprised it snows in winter. Go back over the years at this time of year and you'll find the same old arguments. It's called the weather....

Totally disagree with your throwaway comment, I've got a BMW 1 series parked next to it and that hasn't done it!
My sons BMW does it, does the BMW parked next to your audi have led headlights or xenon or even halogen lamps reason why l ask is led headlights and Xenons give out minimal heat and struggle to dissapate the condensation halogen headlights on the other hand burn at a very high temperature so dissapate the condensation very quickly, to be blunt your wasting your time and energy over some condensation, but if it escalates to actual water droplets then you have a case, as l did with my Ford focus....... They tested my headlights which had actual water droplets in them due to the condensation not evaporating , it took 3 months for it to be sorted

Condensation in an Aventador I saw today...

Attachments

• A0A10642-5D26-4589-AB8D-22112CF3F9F1.jpeg
    A0A10642-5D26-4589-AB8D-22112CF3F9F1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,203