Concert help please (also canbus adaptor)

brys3

Reaction score
hi, ive just replaced my concert tape player with a concert cd player. my previous unit had a brown cable connected to the back of the stereo. my new unit has a round socket, like the radio one but smaller. is this an earth? could this possibly be why the unit comes up with safe when i turn it on? also the can bus adaptor i got with the concert gen 2 has a green connector coming off it, what is this for as i have nothing similar.
please help
thanks
bryan

SAFE comes up because the HU is locked. You need to enter the security code to get it to work.
Depends which canbus adapter you have as there are a few. If it's a Connects2 adapter then it should just plug straight into the back of the HU and all the Audi connectors plug into it. Pics would be useful.

if the new head unit is 2nd hand you will require to enter the code to transfer vehicles

Ok, I pressed buttons and nothing happened. Not sure what to do? Thanks for the replies

Well whatever I pressed didn't seem to come up with anything on the display. Which buttons am I ment to press to enter the code

With SAFE showing on the display, press and hold the SCAN and RDS buttons simultaneously until "1000" shows on the display. If "1000" doesn't show up then try again with the ignition on. Release the buttons. Do NOT press these buttons again, otherwise the radio will consider "1000" to be the code.
Use Preset buttons 1 ... 4 to enter the four-digit code from your radio card. Preset button 1 corresponds to the first digit, Preset button 2 corresponds to the second digit, etc. Each press of the button increments the number by 1.
Once the code shown on the display is correct, press the SCAN and RDS buttons simultaneously and hold until the word "SAFE" appears in the display, then release the buttons.
The radio should unlock and be usable shortly afterwards.

Ok brilliant, thanks for your help. I don't suppose you have a wiring diagram for the cd changer/ speaker cable connection block?

It should be on top of the HU:
A3BlaupunktConcertDiag2.jpg

yes i have that, i am just trying to determine what colour speaker wires go where on the 20 wire connection block. ive got a red and green wire coming from the speaker wire divided loom and a thinner red wire coming from the cd changer section of the loom and i dont know which goes where. ive plumbed an ipod adaptor in so im not using the cd changer but ive forgotten which colour wire is for which speaker input on the connection block.

There are no speaker connections on the 20 pin block. Do you mean the feed to the rear amp? This is on the same 20 pin connector as the changer input.
I don't have the colours of the wires (as Audi seem to change them on a regular basis) You'd have to trace them from the connector on the tupperware sub back to the loom at the HU using a multimeter, unless someone has the wiring colours for an S3.
Can you post a pic?

ok, heres my situation. i have the head unit plugged in and it turns on. the supposed earth on the rear i dont have conected. the radio works ok but i think i have 2 of the speaker outputs mixed up but i have all speakers working. my main problem is the cd player does not work, on both cd/r and purchased cds the unit states cd error and when i hold cd to try and select the ipod adaptor it states no magazine. any ideas?
here is a pic of the rear of the unit
IMG_0295.jpg

and here is a photo with the coloured wires in the slots i have them.
CDWIRING.jpg

please help me as i dont know what to do.

What adapter are you using for the iPOD?
the CD error either means the HU is knackered or just needs a lens clean. Unclip the top and give the lens the once over with a cotton bud and some lighter fluid.

its the genuine ipod adaptor, ive followed the installation instructions and triple checked. like i say the headunit comes up with no magazine when i press the cd button. fingers crossed it is just a lense clean as it cost me £200 from german ebay and its going to be a nightmare to get that back. is the round connection on the back definately an earth?

indeed it is, as it is redundant upon a stereo conversion to an aftermarket one as mine is

No it's not. It is the Fakra aerial connection. Newer models moved from a single DIN aerial to running 2 types of aerial, then eventually to running 2 Fakra connections. If the radio works then just leave it as is although you can get adapters to convert it to DIN.
What exactly is a genuine iPOD adapter?

Sorry my fault, it's a genuine audi iPod adaptor not sure why it's sayin no magazine? Which aerial connection gives the strongest signal?

That would be the one that locks the thumbwheel on your iPOD? Nice one Audi!
The ISO aerial connection is fine for FM.

Well I've got an iPhone and like I say it came up with no magazine. Any ideas why?

Does it support the iPhone? Normally on an iPOD with xcarlink or Dension ICELink you only have access to 5 playlists then the 6th one is the entire contents of your music library IIRC. This is a restriction of the Audi HU not the adapter. As you are simulating a CD changer you only have 6 virtual discs, so maybe they need to be organised differently on an iPhone, can you try an iPOD just to see if that works.

Yes I can get hold of an early iPod. Why I'll do, I'll clean the lense and get the iPod then try the lot. If I can get the iPod to work I'll be happy enough. In guessing if it is the lense I can't get it repaired