Compression Test

Reaction score
Hi ASN. I've carried out a compression test on my 2001 AMK S3 today as fault diagnosis. Does anyone have access to autodata to see what the compression figures should be?

My car has a Jabba sport stage 2 remap otherwise standard engine and turbo.Figures obtained were as follows:

Cylinder 1 - 125psi
Cylinder 2 - 110psi
Cylinder3 - 125psi
Cylinder 4 - 135psi

Mileage is 105k

I had a stutter and juddering when at 5k revs. After lots of test driving labouring the car from low revs straight into 5th gear I had a flashing EML light and a fault code for cylinder 2 misfire. Following this I've changed the spark plugs and cylinder 2 coilpack. It's smoother but i'm convinced it's still a little judery but it may just be in my head. The cars poly bushed so is rattly when driving anyway.

Thanks for any advice

Sorry to say they should be more than that... at least 170psi

<tuffty/>

I read an article online that gave me hope:

A compression test reveals the condition of your engine's valves, its valve seats, and piston rings and whether these parts are wearing evenly. Healthy engines should have compression over 100 psi per cylinder, with no more than 10 percent variation between the highest and lowest readings.

wont be stem seals causing low comp
pistons/rings/bore and possible poor sealing valves

next is cylinder leak down test

Thanks Bill and Tuffty for the advice. I'm trying to do the diagnosis myself but I'm at a standstill now. I understand the theory behind the leak down test but don;t have the kit.

Get a garage to do it think I paid £70 for compression test and leak down test

Had an injector go on me once, which also gave hesitation and misfire in one cylinder, worth swapping injectors to see if fault moves to another cylinder.

Reactions: RS3 ROCKS
What compression tester are u using? Only because once a used a brand new sealey one and was getting low readings then tried a snap on one and my readings were 170 to 175 so you could try another compression tester just in case. If i remember rightly auto data said compression should be around 170 psi