Complaint advice.

AlexGSi2000

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Looking for a hand making a complaint and possibly seeking legal advice.

In a nutshell, me and my girlfriend purchased a new-build property during the summer of last year.
Its our first house together, which we are happy with - except the garden.

We have had a persistent issue with surface water drainage in the garden since we first moved in.
Originally during heavy spells of rain, water would pool in the garden and take a day or two to soak away. Over time the water started to drain at a slower rate, until now - where we have been left with a persistent pool of water despite it not raining for a period of a few days.

We contacted the house builder before Christmas to raise the issue (properties either side of us have the same issue) - the site foreman visited, took pictures and notes. Shortly after we received a letter stating that it is normal in some cases for new properties and that it will take up-to 18 months to "settle".

Now - in my own opinion, water should soak away pretty much instantaneously unless something is preventing it - and "18 months" sounds like a bit of a get out story from the house builder.

When we had the fence installed, the guy that came out was pretty much wading in about two foot of mud when putting the concrete posts in, he said that there was a lot of sand, clay and concrete after about a foot of top-soil.

Stupidly I turfed the garden at the end of the summer, most of it is now underwater and looking sorry for itself! - when I walk into the center of the garden I sink down about a foot.

Being a new house-owner and all, I'm new to making complaints - I want to write back to the house builder enclosing photos disagreeing with the letter, but unsure of the steps I should take. Is it worthwhile having someone independent come out to assess the issue? Should we get in touch with the solicitor we used to purchase the house?

I cannot see the issue rectifying itself unfortunately - and would actually like to do some work on the garden come the spring in a few months, it looks as though the garden needs a proper soak away or land drains, but getting the house builder to do something about it may be another matter!
If anyone can offer any help or advice it would be much appreciated.

The photo below showing the situation;

Obviously a poor drainage problem.who was the house builder and was the property covered by NHBC or LABC(Not sure they cover the garden of a new build though).

If its clay then this will drain slower than sandy soil.
Have you had a dig to investigate?I work on asite and see what gets hidden under soil and turf.

Obviously a poor drainage problem.who was the house builder and was the property covered by NHBC or LABC(Not sure they cover the garden of a new build though).

If its clay then this will drain slower than sandy soil.
Have you had a dig to investigate?I work on asite and see what gets hidden under soil and turf.

Yes, its a popular house builder (Bellway) and covered by NHBC.
I have had a dig around, lots of sand, clay, bits of concrete.etc - the land the house is built on is brownfield and was previously a factory which was demolished around 2001 / 2002.

I have had a look on google streetview - when the image was taken two years ago, you can see the land the house is situated on - at the time it was used as a carpark for the site with two mortar silos.

You can try NHBC but as said not sure what they guarantee.

If the silo was there then maybe there is allsorts underneath,dont get me wrong the majority of 'rubbish' thrown in doesnt affect drainage as its usually low down beneath.

Does your garden fall to that area?