Coming upto new fone time... What to replace Iphone 3gs? Is the Iphone5 coming ?

S3 Paul

Reaction score
I like many have an Iphone...
It to be fair has served me well ( all be it without the iphone 4 flash )
Im now getting calls asking me to upgrade. I will probably stay with Apple , But is the 4s all its ment to be or... is it a stop gap?

I upgraded from the 4 to the 4s. The upgrade only cost me £150 and gives me the piece of mind of a full warranty.

I'm happy with my 4s. The jump from a 3gs will be really noticeable.

4s Camera is wicked for a phone and Retina display is a big improvement over the 3gs.

But will the iPhone 5 be out in March/April 2012?

My upgrade is also due then!

iPhone 5 is most likely to arrive in October 2012; Apple have moved to a pre-Christmas release date for the iPhone to capitalise on 'holiday sales' as they call them the US.

I moved from a 3GS to a 4S on launch day and it is a fantastic phone, a huge step up.

My iPhone 4 is out of contract, looks like il be waiting until October then :( can't see the point of changing to a 4s when iv got a fully functioning ip4

I like everyone else here had the iPhone 3 then the 3GS the got the 4 and now have the iPhone 4s I must say I think it's a great upgrade the camera and Siri software are great, I think if they do release the iPhone 5 will there be enough for everyone? Best thing to do IMO is call ur network up ask if they will be releasing the iPhone 5 in the future and if they say they are ask to be contacted then when they are officially released on ur phone network, but if u can wait then wait but I love my 4s and was a great improvement over the 4 mate

Good luck

I have had the Samsung Galaxy SII for some time now and it is a fantastic phone. It's getting better reviews than the current Iphone. Have you considered it? The SIII is due for release soon as well.

Yes, I was considering an android phone, but it's kind of difficult to see the attraction in an complicated android when coming from an iPhone

Pop in to a shop and give it a bash. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to use.

If you see the classifieds. I've got a Samsung galaxy sII. For sale at mo. brand new not opened if your interested. Pm if you are.

Have a look at a Windows Phone (HTC, Samsung and Nokia). They're all cheaper than an iPhone and are a great alternative, some may say superior!

iPhone 5 not out till later this year. Could be delayed further until they sort out 4G, I read that in a Sunday paper. Till then I will continue to enjoy the 4S.

Still won't be upgrading from a 4 to a 4s. There's not enough difference to warrant the cash in this climate.

I'm in the same dilema, I'm currently still using my 3GS even though I was eligible for an upgrade 6 months ago and am considering a 4S as they phoned and offered it to me free of charge, I also have the option of a HTC (Android) again free or Samsung Galxy S2 (£20).

I heard rumours about battery life on the 4S being poor, have anyone experienced this?

My 3GS will last for 3 days before the battery dies out on me, I don't fancy having to charge the 4S every day as I'm lazy and chuck the phone down for the night and tend to leave it there until I need it again for the following day without having to carry the charger to work.

I just got my iPhone reduced down to £14 a month with 300 mins and unlimited text and 500mb data. The battery is great on it, will last 2 days with everything turned on. To get a 4s I'd have to pay for the phone, probably around £100 with an 18 month contract, then have to pay an extra £20 a month.

Definitely going to wait for the 5, of the new iPad is anything to go by, it'l be worth it, 4g, capable of 3d and 4x faster than iPad 2.

Can't see me considering an android in the meantime, as iv have the iPod dock and iPod connection in the car I use for music

How does your battery last 2 days?! Mine lasts till about 5pm on my 4..

I do hammer mine quite a bit mind but the battery is its biggest flaw no doubt...

Last edited:
For work at the min, we've got a load of current Android, Windows, Blackberry, iPhones and such, and I gotta say, in terms of ease of use, nothing comes close to iPhone.

I took a 4S over my 3GS and it's a huge upgrade.

I had the iPhone 3G and was due to upgrade was going to get iPhone4 but I stupidly let the c**t in the phone shop talk me round to getting HTC desire over the iPhone, what a big mistake I am a heavy phone user and I couldn't get the battery to last any longer than 5hrs so I found myself having to have a charger everywhere i went. In the end I sold the HTC desire and bought iPhone 3GS, I have not changed the way I use the phone and I can get a full day out of the iPhone then just charge it up at night ready for work next day.

My wife has the iPhone 4s and it's a great phone over the 3GS.