COMING SOON - FITTING GUIDE HIDS AND LEDS / SMD's on the B7

doug.p

Reaction score
after searching the threads and not finding clear model specific threads, i thought i would turn sort of guinea pig !
over the next 2 week i will be fitting the following LED / SMD on my B7 Avant;

LED Numberplate lights
LED FRONT / SIDE / REAR INDICATORS
LED BRAKELIGHTS
Quality HID KIT - http://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7-ultimate-hid-xenon-conversion-kit-pr-64.html
i also have a discound code for here for an extra 30% off if anyone is interested
LED front sidelights

i am sure your all aware of the fun with bulb out warnings we all have :banghead:
so i am going to attempt several remedys and will post links to the successfull outcomes.

so far i have fitted led sidelights and numberplate lights from companies with canbus friendly circuitry and they still produce warnings, so i will keep you posted of my findings when i get a successfull result.
i am awaiting bits in the post and i will only post back here when i get a positive outcome so as to keep it clear and easy.

Last edited:
sounds good, im after some hid,s but worried about the fitting procedure be glad to know how you get on fitting them.

Might be worth dropping Richardesty a line as he's done a lot of LED work on his B7 but not built them into the headlights. I'll PM him to look at the thread.

Might be worth dropping Richardesty a line as he's done a lot of LED work on his B7 but not built them into the headlights. I'll PM him to look at the thread.
I've looked, and note that Doug will soon have a car full of resistors :o.k:

Be interesting to learn how you get on Doug....... What's with the need for all the LED indicators though?

lol
yes looks that way - funny things LED's and SMD's
i just prefer them, brighter, faster and more crisp !
they look good in indicators
i have bits arriving every day in the post at present and will start the process at the weekend

so far i have fitted led sidelights and numberplate lights from companies with canbus friendly circuitry and they still produce warnings, so i will keep you posted of my findings when i get a successfull result.
i am awaiting bits in the post and i will only post back here when i get a positive outcome so as to keep it clear and easy.

I bought my led sidelights from www.ultraleds.co.uk and their single led "canbus friendly" bulbs do not produce a bulb out error on my 2006 B7 A4. I had previously tried their 9-led tower sidelight bulbs, which although being very impressive, did throw up a bulb error.

Sounds good, I need to spend some more money... NOT:)

JWHAT

to go off topic - ambient light retro fit
did you do the interior as well as the doors ??
where di you get the parts - how hard was it

I've made my own ambient light using Blue led's........but only did it in the roof console.

JWHAT

to go off topic - ambient light retro fit
did you do the interior as well as the doors ??
where di you get the parts - how hard was it

Sorry I've only done the light console as well. There is a thread about it somewhere, it's a nice little mod.

ok hids in with no install probs and no bulb out warnings
http://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7-ultimate-...kit-pr-64.html

YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE HEADLIGHTS OR MOVE THEM - i did it quite easily withot the need to, grazed hands and cursed a bit, but only took 30 mins

comparison on hid vs stock halogen on my car
audi1.jpg

Last edited:
Side indicators done - no bulb out warnings use the links to the bit i used

Only amber 5 SMD's on the market - £5.99
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LED-SMD-Indic...LM%2BLA&otn=5&ps=63&clkid=8308095016732191905

Resistor £4.99
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370137681421

1) pop out the indicator housing using a flat head screw driver, taking care not to chip / scratch paint. bulb holder/surround pops out the end closest to the door

2) remove the bulb and insert the new one, i had to bend the contact wires out a little to ensure good contact, check + & -

3) wire the resistor in using the scotch locks and you should finish up with the below, brown to brown and white to green
audi2.jpg

result is brighter and sharper

Last edited:
They look good Doug. When I did mine it cose me about £10 though?

Richardesty - click the link, its a whole new unit and 9 leds each light - well worth it
what did you use on yours ??

Razza
pic looking at the lights or looking out of the car ?
i can assure you the glare goes no higher than the standard bulb

the hids4u H7R has a coating over the top half of the bulb to cut off glare just like ~OEM units

Off topic:
Doug - why do you have Black front plates? Aren't they illegal on cars post 1978

Back on topic - Thanks for the info, I purchased those f1auto's bulbs a week ago and tried to fit on Sat. Never even got them working so stuck them in the courtesy lights instead. Think I'll purchase they ones you fitted as both bulbs were out anyway

Richardesty - click the link, its a whole new unit and 9 leds each light - well worth it
what did you use on yours ??

Yeah I saw that - they look sweet.

I used a festoon cluster kit which had 12 SMD's on it, and fitted to the festoon via the adapter. They came in a kit from www.ultraleds.co.uk but they don't list them now..... thhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SMD-LED-Interior-Bulb-Ultra-White-with-multi-adapter_W0QQitemZ280473345024QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item414d839c00ey were 'like' these

Last edited:
for the rear cluster i have a few options - we will see what i like best......
the fronts are next though
but i think a few extra parts are needed - resistor , bulbs and poss a new flasher relay
will see...

STEPHO

they are not 100% illegal
the font size and spacing are the same as regular ones
depends on the plod who stops you i suppose, but others who fitted them have had no probs at all as there is no specific contravention code to book you with

STEPHO

they are not 100% illegal
the font size and spacing are the same as regular ones
depends on the plod who stops you i suppose, but others who fitted them have had no probs at all as there is no specific contravention code to book you with

LOL - I would say that if they are not 100% 'Legal', then it is very much 'Illegal'......

Numberplates must be displayed in accordance with The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001
http://www.uk-legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2001/20010561.htm

On Reflection it's a bit like me saying that mine is totally legal when it's on display
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4gRivFSrWE :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see shots from the front at night to see the glare (also a side shot of it next to a wall to see how high it bounces the light to the side of the car). The issue comes from the inside of the lenses bouncing the light all over the place, looked fine from inside the car, but highly blinding to others. It's an expensive HID kit you've bought there so would want to be sure it's ok before thinking about buying one.

fitted these SMD sidelight bulbs yesterday 9 SMDS

led.jpg

purchased from here for £7.99
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280469560663&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

very bright - night pics coming soon
headlight.jpg

with resistors ( below ) from same supplier as my prev ones, using scotch locks there is no warning on the dash ( 4.99 for the kit)
cf2d_2.jpg

no issues in fitting or clearance at all, just pop open the back of the light spring lock and remove sideligh bulb by pullin on the wire if you cant reach the bulb holder.
snap the scotch locks across and put the new bulb in

literally the resistors are tiny, about the size of, erm 1/4 length and same width of the audi key
so all i did was use some small cable ties to secure them in side the light housings, no probs at all there

Hids from inside as requested, the beam is no higher than in standard form
insidecarhids.jpg

Have you not got a clearer pic of just the side light bulbs alone? Bit to much blue for me esp with HIDS. Good effort though :)

yes i will take the sidelight tonight
the HIDS are 8000k

literally the resistors are tiny, about the size of, erm 1/4 length and same width of the audi key
so all i did was use some small cable ties to secure them in side the light housings, no probs at all there

Keep an eye on them, and what they are touching. These resistors will get EXTREMELY hot, and you wouldn't want them touching any part of your plastic light housing or wiring if you can help it.

Great review though - this thread is answering lots of the questions many of us have!

Last edited:
yes so i hear
the base of the resistors is ok though, so i have made sure that is the only thing in contact with anything

LED REAR LIGHTS NEXT

yes so i hear
the base of the resistors is ok though, so i have made sure that is the only thing in contact with anything

LED REAR LIGHTS NEXT

Mate - the whole of the resistor gets very hot.

The reason I asked is because you should mount them on a flat metal surface which helps dicipate the heat......

ok - i will revisit to have a look tomorrow to see if all is ok

resistors are ok where they are - tucked away inside light housing, no issues there, had a good look around today