Coming from an 8L - looking at an 8P - 3.2V6 and 170D Quattro questions.

its_neil

Reaction score
Hey guys, Currently got an 02 S3 as my car and looking to move on from it (never really felt 'in love' with it - mainly due to the colour but I'd rather get a newer car than buy an S3 in a colour I like!). I was initially wanting a 170 Diesel Quattro for economy but it dawned on me that the V6 ones are ~4-5 grand cheaper (probably due to tax and fuel costs etc).

I worked out based on my annual mileage of 8,000 mostly A road commute to work it would take roughly 4 years for the V6 to start to become more expensive than the diesel. I like the idea of owning a V6 for the noise to be honest.

My driving style is pretty sedate so on my S3 I can pretty much get 28-30mpg per tank which equates to about 350 miles. To do my calculations I've just used figures from the net of 27MPG combined for the V6 (320 miles per tank) and 44MPG combined (520 miles per tank) for the 170 so I'm just wondering how close to 'real life' that is from you guys?

Welcome to the 8P croud :) I drive a 170 Quattro mostly motorway and long journeys I'm averaging around 500 miles to a tank so your not to far off.

Chris

Pretty much spot on for the 3.2 my average is 27mpg all the time.
Not sure about the V6 being 4-5 grand cheaper like.

I've Just done the same switch. I went with the TDI! Finding the extra cash will pay out longterm. Road tax, insurance, fuel are only going one way now. Resale values are another point and on and ariston.
No noise from the oil burner but the novelty would wear off as noise = much less than 27mpg.
If your a petrol head you'll go V6 If you want a economical and by no means slow car you'll move over to the dark side :)

Hmmm ... TDI 170CR Quattro Sportback and also mainly motorway ... well ... motorway as in M25 car park "You are all lemmings!" ... I struggle to get above 36 to 38 MPG. I drive it fairly hard (and as I pay stupid amounts of tax for my diesel fuel card I do not really care), but even trying to decent MPG only ever managed 40 MPG. However, love the torque, but would agree that the bigger turbo appears to give a bit more lag for the kick. 140CR and map it :p

Got about 41-42mpg average on my 2.0TDI, drove it hard, never really seemed to change, have you thought about a 2.0T? Cheaper to tax and run in general, lighter and faster with a remap...