Coming backto Audi! Looking at an S3.

terrymcg

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After a couple of years dabbling in M3's and R32's I have decided to get an 8P S3. I have found 2 that I am torn between as they both have the spec I am after. Although one is Imola Yellow, now not my first choice of colour but after seeing it twice its growing. The other one is Sprint Blue, I am just torn between which one as they are both the same spec wise.

However the Imola Yellow is an Oct 57 plate with 15k on it for £20995, and the Sprint one is Mar 07 with 29k on it for £21995. I have not talked cash yet, but I am paying cash with no PX so will obviously looking for hefty discount! What do you guys reckonis realistic £1500??

And finally whats the thoughts on the colours? Re-sale and general feel for Imola yellow?

Cheers,

Terry

If you don't care how much your part-ex value will be when you come to sell it, then yellow is fine. If you plan to sell private then a blue may sell quicker.

Discount wise; tough call really. Dealers aren't giving much away at the moment on the M4 corridor on any cars, so best of luck!

DSCF3084.jpg

maybe this will help you choose blue instead....

When I bought mine (used) a couple of years ago I spent months tracking Autotrader/Pistonheads, and Yellow/Solar S3s seemed to hang around unsold for ever.
They were generally cheaper too.

Personally I quite like them but wouldnt be brave enough to buy one.

If you plan to keep it for a bit then the simple answer is `buy the one you like the most`

Good luck

Cheers
Paul

You may have problems selling a yellow car later on. It's one of those fashionable colours at the moment. But in 3 years... Who knows...

I like Imola Yellow too Terry - they may take longer to sell on but given their rarity the counter-argument is that they may actually fetch a premium if you're willing to wait for someone looking for a yellow one. If it was me I'd go for the yellow one - better value for money.

And finally whats the thoughts on the colours? Re-sale and general feel for Imola yellow?

My S4 was yellow and it was a c*nt to sell because of it. I'd never consider another yellow car unless it was something obnoxious like a Gallardo or GT3.

Well since my fannying around the blue one now has a deposit on it by someone else!! Not that I am desperate, the yellow one just seems good value from a dealer(Prob cos of the colour) and for some reason I am drawn to it!! My wife would never let me get my favorite colour of Pheonix Yellow when I bought my M3, so this could be my revenge!! Just don't want to end up regretting it!!

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect to get anymore discount for cash than other payment methods, in fact most dealers these days (especially the large ones) prefer you to take out their finance offerings in some shape or another as they earn a fair amount of commission on it. I bought my S3 brand new with cash and was expecting the same treatment (big discounts), now as much as I haggled (I do drive a hard bargain) I didn't get as much as some people I know who bought theirs new but with finance.

This all changes of course if you're dealing with a smaller dealer, who is more likely to fiddle his books a bit and not pass the cash as an entry. So it goes without saying that you would be more likely to get a more generous discount in that scenario.

Sprint Blue by the way! :icon_thumright:

And Solar is another fashionable colour that may also prove tricky to sell on in years to come.

How do you find looking over your shoulder when reversing? I imagine they're kind of in the way.

Hi guys,

After a couple of years dabbling in M3's and R32's I have decided to get an 8P S3. I have found 2 that I am torn between as they both have the spec I am after. Although one is Imola Yellow, now not my first choice of colour but after seeing it twice its growing. The other one is Sprint Blue, I am just torn between which one as they are both the same spec wise.

However the Imola Yellow is an Oct 57 plate with 15k on it for £20995, and the Sprint one is Mar 07 with 29k on it for £21995. I have not talked cash yet, but I am paying cash with no PX so will obviously looking for hefty discount! What do you guys reckonis realistic £1500??

Cheers,

Terry

Hi i have a sprint blue audi with bucket seats, flat bottom sterring wheel, ipod dock 32k on the clock 25ml lowerd with full milltek exhaust will take some where round 23k for it let me no

cheers

tom

Its suprising how I lasted 2 years without them, now I have them, the normal seats are SO UNSUPPORTIVE its a joke :ninja:

I have to agree. Another off day for me as I saw the price of them and said - no way; on reflection a bad move. If we didn't have the armrest, all too often my wife would be sat on my side of the car in left hander bends as she just tips out of her seat without the steering wheel to hold on to. It would have been worth the £1600 on reflection just to moderate the ear ache I get!

Hi i have a sprint blue audi with bucket seats, flat bottom sterring wheel, ipod dock 32k on the clock 25ml lowerd with full milltek exhaust will take some where round 23k for it let me no

cheers

tom

What year is that? From the mileage I'd say an 07. I think you're being a little optimistic with £23k, but good luck with the sale.

How do you find looking over your shoulder when reversing? I imagine they're kind of in the way.

They are fine, honestly John especially with the power an S3 has, well at Stage II + its a must!!

I have to agree. Another off day for me

We'll get there in the end Warren :readit:

It may not be what your after but i will have my 2007/57 s3 for sale.

Silver
38k FSH (JUST HAD CAMBELT UNDER WARRANTY) Recently serviced with new plugs and brake fluid
Black Leather
dvd nav
bose
flat bottom wheel
bluetooth
i pod dock in glovebox
parking sensors
storage pack.

currently fitted with h and r springs,evoms induction kit and a GIAC map with contoller.

I am the only registered keeper.

Am I the only one that doesnt `get` the whole bucket thing?
Would consider having them in a used SB wouldnt pay a premium for them.

I use the reat seats in mine quite a bit and the the rear access is already a PITA with the standard chairs.

They look the nuts and are super supportive, but I found them a bit too cosy and getting in and out was a chore.

Cheers
Paul

When I ordered our car there weren't any S3's in the UK (back in mid 2006). I looked at the picture and thought, "no, can't justify that".

Once the car went up in power a bit, I started to realise that they may have been a shrewd investment as:

a) the basic seats are comfortable, but have poor support
b) the basic seats are still a PITA to get in the back past, so you haven't gained much.

Yes I would love to think they should be prices at more like a grand than £1600, but then look fantastic and once I had the chance to sit in them my first thought was 'Oooops'.

I'm not of slight build, but I'd happily loose a few bars of lard for them!

I manage just nicely with my slacks plonked in the standard chairs, pottering around with a gob full of Werthers Originals, .
If you need buckets then you`re driving too ****** fast ah` tell thee.:o.k:

Last edited:
if you are paying cash wouldnt it make more sense getting a brand new S3 on PCP and put your money in a high interest saver?

if you are paying cash wouldnt it make more sense getting a brand new S3 on PCP and put your money in a high interest saver?

Agree with the first bit and take out a pcp but high interest saver??? interest rates are pap.

Only if you can get interest free finance, otherwise that is a bad idea! Interest rates on savings are rubbish right now, and interest on car finance is generally at least artound the 7% mark.

An old bankers proverb...cash is king. It's just a shame HBoS, Lloyds, RBS and NR didn't stick to that proverb!!!

Only if you can get interest free finance, otherwise that is a bad idea! Interest rates on savings are rubbish right now, and interest on car finance is generally at least artound the 7% mark.

An old bankers proverb...cash is king. It's just a shame HBoS, Lloyds, RBS and NR didn't stick to that proverb!!!

And its nice not to be beholding to a 3rd party.
It means you can sell, p/x,swap, modify, do what you like becasue its your car in other words.
No one has an interest in the car but you.
Hourses for courses of course(s).

Cheers
Paul