Colours Colours Colours...

Fridarey

Reaction score
Hi all, first post here. I'm about to press the button to order my first Audi, got most things clear (listed below) but, as with Audi's competitors, I find the colours pretty uninspiring, and especially so on the website! I've had a look around this forum and some of you have posted excellent pics which have helped me choose. Do you have any other links to sites with handy pics of current A4 colours?

At the moment dodging between Monsoon Grey and Tango Red. Mostly.

Also any opinions on choices of kit are welcome ;) I've had adaptive cruise control for the last 4 years and will never be without it (do 30k+ miles per anum), and other than that I love the look of the virtual cockpit and the matrix headlights.

My main other thing was that I'd really like comfort suspension on 17" wheels, but I don't seem to be able to do that, so I've gone for Sport with 17" rather than S-Line+comfort with 18".

spec:
2.0 TDI ultra S Tronic
Technology Pack
Privacy Glass
Foldy mirrors
Driver Assistance Pack - Tour
Matrix Headlights
Extended LED internal bling

I had a test drive of a Disco Sport a few days ago. First one broke 5 mins out of the garage, second one had flat battery and no diesel, third one (booked return visit) wasn't there. It's going to be an A4 instead...

Cheers

Gotta have HHA, only used to be 75 quid and I find it invaluable on the stronic.
Looks good otherwise

Reactions: Bristle Hound
OK took me a while... Hill Hold Assist added, nice one, thanks Pork.

I'd like a rear camera too (had it on my last 2 cars) but 450 quid is nuts.

You’ve got to draw the line somewhere, £450 is crazy.
Had a courtesy A4 without HHA when mine was last in for work and it’s surprising how annoying I found it.
I agree about the colour choice being rather bland

I ordered monsoon Grey and changed my mind due to seeing some pretty dull pictures. I agree very boring selection. I'd go tango red, scuba blue also looks nice. I personally think 17" wheels are to small looking for the size of the car and the s- line brings so many little extras if you could stretch I'd say it's worth it.

I find monsoon grey and tango red unispiring, so I would query this choice. Out of the grays daytona is the best and out of the reds it has to be matador:
FB IMG 1502106033072

Reactions: Fridarey and Sandra
Hi,

If possible you need the bigger wheels makes the car so much nicer, I have personally ordered the 19" wheels on the black edition model.
If you can go to the S-Line as Brandon said gives you that little bit more for the money.

Sorry yes, I think s-line as daytona might not come with the sport but I would stick to 18" wheels as the ride will be smoother, more compliant and they'll still fill the wheel arches ok. Instead of just Matrix headlamps the light and vision pack, if they still do it, is good value for money and includes the vc...

Thanks for the replies guys, and wow does that matador look good! I need to spend a bit of time checking these out in real life.

Re the wheels - I'm very keen to get a good ride quality (fnarr), which was why I thought 17". Although I spend a bit of time on decent roads, a lot of my driving is on rural As and Bs and I commute 40 miles each way across this road every day. How do the 18"s stand up to ruts and bumps?

m2N5z2J.jpg

Reactions: Dunders
Thanks for the replies guys, and wow does that matador look good! I need to spend a bit of time checking these out in real life.

Re the wheels - I'm very keen to get a good ride quality (fnarr), which was why I thought 17". Although I spend a bit of time on decent roads, a lot of my driving is on rural As and Bs and I commute 40 miles each way across this road every day. How do the 18"s stand up to ruts and bumps?

m2N5z2J.jpg

Looks like a nice road to commute on! Provided you're not stuck behind a caravan the whole way or something... Haha.

Regarding the wheels, I think that it's down to personal preference as much as anything. I had the 19" rotors on my last A4 S-Line which is renowned for being a rough combo and I never thought that it was particularly uncomfy. It did tramline quite badly sometimes but that's not something that seems to happen in the B9 so I wouldn't worry about it. The S4 I tested with the 19's on it was never rough enough for me to think about it over the 100+ miles I drove it.

I went for tango red as matador was a bit too dark for my liking. One thing I would say about either of the reds is they are very rare.

Off topic a bit here,but ive just had a loan A6 sline on 18s and it rides infinitly better than my b9 on 18s.

Cheers all, will do a check with an sline spec as well. It's just £350 more.

Daggerit, your car looks great on your other thread, and you mentioned it's from Aberdeen - that's the Cairn O' Mount road in the pic, love driving that road!

Reactions: christuffley and Daggerit
A6 will ride slightly better on same size wheels due to it having 45 profile tyres compared to 40 profile on A4

Cheers all, will do a check with an sline spec as well. It's just £350 more.

Daggerit, your car looks great on your other thread, and you mentioned it's from Aberdeen - that's the Cairn O' Mount road in the pic, love driving that road!

It did look like it was up that way! That's a great road...

I don't know when your order will be locked in but if it works out then you're more than welcome to come for a blast in the S4 once I pick it up so you can see what it's like on the 19's.

Appreciate the offer Daggerit, v kind of you. Hopefully will be pressing the button by the end of this week though, fingers crossed!

Reactions: Daggerit
Colour is always very subjective, most people like blue, grey and silver on B9's, I see plenty of white and black too (presumably as these are no cost options) very few red ones around though seems, even less green (our choice) but then we like green cars, so specced it that way.

Playing around on the configurator now it seems they have dropped Gotland Green and Argus Brown altogether on any B9 (guess not many sales), originally you could order green on an S4 (I know because we played around with maybe ordering one for when the lease on our 3.0 TDI Quattro Sport is up).

Irritatingly if you want a wide range or colours then the B9 Allroad is available in lots of colours (including our Green) plus also all the rather expensive Audi exclusive paint colours (Yellow / Orange / Brown / Nogaro Blue etc).

A4 AVANT SE PAINT
A4 AVANT S LINE PAINT
S4 AVANT PAINT
A4 ALLROAD PAINT

Reactions: Fridarey and Daggerit
Appreciate the offer Daggerit, v kind of you. Hopefully will be pressing the button by the end of this week though, fingers crossed!

No worries. There will be a period before you're not able to change the order though, if that works out with you going for a drive then feel free to give me a shout.

Just thought though, I have the adaptive suspension, but putting it on the harshest mode would be a worst case I guess.

There will be a period before you're not able to change the order though, if that works out with you going for a drive then feel free to give me a shout.

Thanks again - will do.

Cars are my weak point with options... I'm not a gadget freak but I do really like clever technology that makes life simpler so I can't not click for virtual cockpit and the matrix lights, and then it mounts up! There's easily another few grand of unselected options I could go for. I'm less bothered about wheels as I don't see them when I'm driving I guess. Still, it's great fun making the decision every few years.

Colours though, ALWAYS take me ages!

If they did the Scuba Blue on the Black Edition; no doubt that would have been my choice; i love it. With the BE the colours to chose from were not the best just wishy washy greys or white/black.
I opted for Metallic Mythos Black with the 19s in the end; gets built 21st Aug!!

I ordered a sport amongst other things because I wanted a smooth, comfortable & quiet ride and I was a bit worried about the 18s and the sport suspension. Fair enough you can select the comfort suspension, my worry with that was resale values. Or sports diff at an extra £900 - no thanks. I put the £1400 towards options I actually wanted, one of which being the B&O sound which I thoroughly recommend.

Ultimately there are some really nice things about the S-line. The Matrix LEDs are an outrageously expensive option on the sport model, plus if you want lumbar support it's extra. The body kit undeniably looks good. If I could have found the £900 for the adaptive dampers I'd have considered it.

I've had my sport model 2 weeks now and I'll post a few photos and a mini review sometime soon (there's a real shortage of photos of the sport trim generally) Overall Im very pleased with my choice. It rides beautifully and even the sport trim looks very nice. It's ridiculously quiet when driving. As of MY18 you now get leather seats (heated in the front) and a bigger colour central display if you don't spec the VC (sounds like you are anyway).

Don't think you'd be disappointed with the sport overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do 30k+ miles per year and end up with S-line and bigger wheels i would prioritise adaptive suspension above matrix lights. The standard S-line led headlights are very good and I've got the adaptive sport suspension which is really good in comfort mode on motorways but can be stiffened up when needed and maintains the lowered look.
I would also be another vote against the monsoon, it looks very dull imo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I ordered a sport amongst other things because I wanted a smooth, comfortable & quiet ride and I was a bit worried about the 18s and the sport suspension. Fair enough you can select the comfort suspension, my worry with that was resale values. Or sports diff at an extra £900 - no thanks. I put the £1400 towards options I actually wanted, one of which being the B&O sound which I thoroughly recommend.

Ultimately there are some really nice things about the S-line. The Matrix LEDs are an outrageously expensive option on the sport model, plus if you want lumbar support it's extra. The body kit undeniably looks good. If I could have found the £900 for the adaptive dampers I'd have considered it.

I've had my sport model 2 weeks now and I'll post a few photos and a mini review sometime soon (there's a real shortage of photos of the sport trim generally) Overall Im very pleased with my choice. It rides beautifully and even the sport trim looks very nice. It's ridiculously quiet when driving. As of MY18 you now get leather seats (heated in the front) and a bigger colour central display if you don't spec the VC (sounds like you are anyway).

Don't think you'd be disappointed with the sport overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree wholeheartedly and ours is a 2016 Sport, so doesn't have standard leather and colour DIS, but we're more than happy with the car as it is, oddly enough as ours is a 3.0TDi 218 Quattro avant we actually like it looking plainer than the bodykit on the S-Line, the vast majority of people have no idea ours is a bigger engined one (until it pulls away) but we're in the minority as most would much prefer the racier S-Line look with bigger wheels.

We've covered over 15k since May 2016 and are very satisfied with our choice of Sport vs S-Line - so much so that we're likely to extend our term (it's leased via one of our own companies) when its due for renewal.

Reactions: v1rotate
Had a useful visit to the local dealership tonight - mainly to eyeball some of the colours, but ended up getting a quote which (with a bit of tweaking) might match or beat the Lex one my work have. I'll pursue this and see how good they can be, I'd much rather deal with them locally.

So I've ruled out Monsoon, for definite. In fact pretty much all the greys, although Floret looks ok. I have a feeling the salesman thought I was nuts for looking at red cars, but we eventually found a Matador in for repair round the back and I have to say I loved it!

I've only had one red car before, a second-hand Nissan Primera in the early 90s and it was dead plain, but of the A4 colours available I think this is the one for me. I don't mind the black either, but my boss has a black saloon and I'd look like a total sook parked next to it ;)

Now I have an updated quote I think I'll look at the rear camera again. I've taken Comfort Dynamic Suspension with the 18" on S-Line, so is looking at Adaptive Suspension really worth it? I'm not too bothered about pinging round corners these days to be honest.

Thanks a million for the help and opinions so far.

Reactions: cuke2u
Also: yes, I can tell that's not an A4 :D

Just in case...

Had my first test drive today and I'm impressed. The seats (normal Sline ones) were the most comfortable I've been in for years. The demo car didn't have any of the extras I'm looking at so really I just wanted to see what the drive was like, and it was just great. This was in the 150PS TDi, which I really think will be enough for me after this drive. The 190 is attractive but not really worth a grand to me - my current car is 150 and I've never felt underpowered.

I got them to adjust my quote to add the comfort/sound pack, and then I will REALLY stop adding things.

This colour looks fantastic, especially in these pics!

That was post detail showing the cost at £450 is well worth it for the looks and the protection it gives. Gave the car a wash yesterday and it still looks stunning, the water runs off the bodywork and the car is so easy to get clean now with its ceramic coating...

Very nice @cuke2u - Washed mine today and wish it still looked like yours! Starting to look a bit peppered now with 28k on it. Was shocked how many stone chips were on the windscreen!
Meh - One of those things, still love the colour and driving it after cleaning today (and the sun bringing out the leather smell in the car) made it feel 'newish' again today! :D

Reactions: cuke2u