Color mismatch after paintjob?

jsosic

Reaction score
Hi.

I've mounted s3 side skirts and front/rear bumper but am not very pleased with color matchup with the original color on the car. Parts were then taken off and painted second time, but although it's much better now, there is a visible difference again....

Is is really that hard to match the color of the car? The shop told me that color "needs time" because the color on the car is 4 years old but I just don't buy it.

Color is ibis white. Do you have similar experiences?

PS. I will post photos later.

Yes it is hard to match, as you're not blending it across panels, hence why you can see the difference, a pro shop will insist its blended into surrounding panels to get a match, but most clients want the cheapest job.

Hi.

I've mounted s3 side skirts and front/rear bumper but am not very pleased with color matchup with the original color on the car. Parts were then taken off and painted second time, but although it's much better now, there is a visible difference again....

Is is really that hard to match the color of the car? The shop told me that color "needs time" because the color on the car is 4 years old but I just don't buy it.

Color is ibis white. Do you have similar experiences?

PS. I will post photos later.

I did, on my silver car. Mismatch between a newly sprayed rear bumper against a 4 year old wing.
I've seen it millions of times, even on new cars.

As long as it's not wildly out, take comfort from the fact that probably no one will ever notice it apart from you.

The only way to get rid of or mask the difference between new/old paint is by blending into the old adjoining panel or to have it totally resprayed as well.... however, the latter will give you a colour match with difference with any other panels it meets.

Money is not an issue here. If it was a single bumper in question then blending in would make sense, but two bumpers and side skirts mean that blending in is almost a full car respray. Obviously I will have to respray the whole car :-/

Money is not an issue here. If it was a single bumper in question then blending in would make sense, but two bumpers and side skirts mean that blending in is almost a full car respray. Obviously I will have to respray the whole car :-/

It also depends who sprays it for you, i have sprayed side skirts and bonnet it matches 99%

It also depends who sprays it for you, i have sprayed side skirts and bonnet it matches 99%

With no blending?
Put your car under street lights/petrol station lights at night and I bet that 99% falls by a good few percent.

Reactions: NHN
Yeap I'm in total agreement with Ads, no way will you match paint perfectly, its impossible & only a blend makes it look once piece as such, every bodyshop with decent painters will tell you that.

If moneys not an object then why didn't your painter or you suggest blending, seems silly statement tbh, but alas.

With no blending?
Put your car under street lights/petrol station lights at night and I bet that 99% falls by a good few percent.

slightly yes, if you pay too much attention,

no it's blue

Mines not matching either plastic will never match metal fully anyway let alone after having plastics painted to an already painted metal body dont worry about it mate unless you have deep pockets then get the whole car painted to get better blend

Ive just had my front lip done not a perfect match either and Akoya is probably the worst as there are different shades, I could of gone down the blend route but once you do bumper it doesn't match bonnet then wings don't match bonnet it's never ending if you want it perfect. Especially with metallics because of the fleck in the paint

Go and look at a brand new car in any show room bumpers are always out .....

Spraying on different materials effects under coats and the the colour will be effected because of that.....

Also if the panels are sprayed off the car with a machine they may be painted whilst hung and dried through an oven the skirts will be painted by hand (probably with a paint mixed just for the skirts not for 100s of panels.) and left to dry at different angles. This can effect how the paint lies and looks under certain lights.

Mine are out but there isn't much you can do tbh I think aslong as its bit blatantly obvious I wouldn't be too upset

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379365402338719

I wouldn't be happy with this....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379365430871720

But that is mine and in not exactly chuffed with that... It was painted around 8 months prior to the picture after I was nudged into at the lights...

Ill show you my rear bumper tomorrow its different as its not blended into anything

White is also a pain in the trumper to match now days to be honest we have issues at work all the time,as mentioned most bumpers from the factory are different colour to the rest of the car even though the customer doesnt notice until looking around the work we have done after the accident or what ever,i have argued many times with people on forums who are in the business with them saying they can match them 100% every time which i know is rubbish as even different paint manufacturers colours and tints are different for the same paint code and then as mentioned you are painting on different materials with different factory primers and different prep methods.