Cold weather cleaning

Radford212

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to properly clean my car for weeks now but the weather hasn’t made it easy. Today looks like it’s going to be okay, but it’s ridiculously cold.
Does anyone have any advice for cleaning in cold weather or is it the same as warmer temperatures?

Radford212

I’ve been wanting to properly clean my car for weeks now but the weather hasn’t made it easy. Today looks like it’s going to be okay, but it’s ridiculously cold.
Does anyone have any advice for cleaning in cold weather or is it the same as warmer temperatures?

Radford212
I did mine yesterday, just sprayed Valetpro bilberry wheel cleaner on the alloys, Bilt & Hamber snow foam on the body, left it for 5-10 mins and jet washed it all off and let it drip dry, 99% clean again :) Good thing with white is that drip dry doesn't show water marks like the black did :)

Glad I did it yesterday as it's a hard frost today!

Reactions: L80EWY, Pook, Pinky1959 and 1 other person

Radford212
Only things I can add are

1) Use warm water, obvious I know but it does help with shifting the grime. This is where using a pump sprayer for your snow foam comes in handy

2) Keep yourself warm, gloves etc

3) A lot of products don't work at low temperature so I don't bother with qd, spray waxes etc.

4) Make sure you dry the inside of the doors and rubber seals really well. You will find out how well you did with this part if it's a sharp frost in the morning

I tend to think of winter washes as getting the muck off the car rather than making it gleam

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan, Pook and Radford212
I managed to get it done despite the cold weather. Was wrapped up in about 4 layers!

I did used warm water in my pump sprayer with valet pro cpw and also in my valet pro snow foam

Warm water in the buckets.
I did managed to get a coat of EVO 2 wax by obsession wax on there as well.

All in all turned out okay despite freezing my a** off.

Reactions: NevMan and Taxboy
Good effort. :)

For the record don't try Gyeon Cure under 5C. It smeared and was a pig to get off. :D Lesson learned.

Reactions: NevMan and Bristle Hound
I'm fortunate to have a double garage, so the winter washes aren't to bad for me

I'm able to pre-wash & shampoo outside. Quick blast to the end of the cul-de-sac to get rid of most of the water & dry the brakes off

Into the garage with the doors shut to MF dry the car. Then a coat of my 50/50 mixes
Either Sonax BSD & Chemical Guys V07 for the wife's MINI or Sonax BSD & Adam's Detail Spray for my S4

Reactions: NevMan
I want a double garage so bad when the wife and I buy our house but that’s not going to happen :disrelieved:

What’s the Adams detail spray like? I know you say a 50/50 mix but is that a 50/50 mix in a spray bottle or a coat of both 1 after the other?

My advice would be to work quickly and wrap up, once you get going you soon get warm if you move about.

I was out on Saturday morning, it was two degrees and not much fun but worth the effort to get the salt off.

Did the wife's California yesterday morning. I wrapped up but halfway through I was I never bothered as it was too cold. Even with my seal skinz gloves my hands where hurting by the end

Reactions: Jassyo06
@Bristle Hound do you think a 50/50 mix of the Adams detail spray and Angel Wax QED would work or not? Tempted to try some of this alchemy malarkey :grinning:

Reactions: Bristle Hound
My cars paintwork ain't had a wash mitt on it for all of January, weather has been horrendous, l thought l had a shot at the wash mitt title yesterday, pre wash, pre wash snow foam, washed the alloys, and the exhaust tips..... But it turned out more like Dancing on lce rather than a maintenance wash..... Gave up

Did the wife's California yesterday morning. I wrapped up but halfway through I was I never bothered as it was too cold. Even with my seal skinz gloves my hands where hurting by the end
California..... What colour is in love them Spyder ferraris

I wish . It's a VW version
5522042d60d17ce92f0c669afb2401dd.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan, Radford212, THQuattro and 1 other person
On cold winter days, just blast with snow foam, leave for 5 mins (time to make a hot cup of tea/coffee), then rinse off. 20 min max

4b119518-c1e9-4e22-a4a2-77d2d592e734-jpeg.145835

Reactions: NevMan and Pook
crossfit car wash

10 burpies
sprayfoam
10 air squats
clean one wheel
10 pull ups on my tree
clean twheel
one minute plank
clean next wheel
10 rollouts
clean last wheel
power sprayer to the prewash
10 rollouts
hood and front bumper
10 burpies
front panels and doors
10 air squats
back doors and rear panels
10 pullups
hatch and roof
one minute plank
power spray off
dry with shop vac blower
done and had my exercise and warmth

my neighbors think I am a freak and I am so all good

Reactions: Kakatk, NevMan, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
Did mine yesterday in the rain. Quick spray with snow foam & then 2 bucket wash. Due to drizzle didn't bother drying off.

Spent all day Friday on mine. I needed all day as I had a lot to do, so started early. Sprayed some warm pre-spray through a pressure pump over my car and left it for 5 mins or so. Went to rinse off and the stuff had frozen solid on top of the car lol. I don't really mind detailing in the cold - I just keep moving. The only issue is the way it affects some products. Anyway on Friday, by 9am it had stopped freezing - just.

@Radford212 - Never tried that mix myself
Make a small amount up & give it a try
Don't forget pic's & your findings if you do :D

As soon as I find the time to give it a clean amongst the weather and other exciting things that maybe in motion I shall put some pictures up and let you know how I get on. I really like the Angel Wax QED on its own so intrigued to see how it goes.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I just gave mine and the Miss's car a contactless wash. Wheels with Bilberry wheel clean then citrus power wash (Auto finesse) then snow foam ( Auto finesse). Both were wax and mine got some C2 at the start of winter so they came up Alright. Went out once and they look as dirty as before I did them love the living in the country side Haha.

Anyone tried to ''re-fill'' the carplan demon foam bottle?. Got some the other day (not used it yet) & just wondered if it's re-fillable as I cant always be ***** to get the pressure washer out this time of year & hope this will work with just the hose.

Went out to clean the wheels today. Came back in with numb hands and five minutes later had hands on fire. Sod that. It can stay dirty until the weather warms up. :D

Reactions: Bristle Hound and surfer8210
Anyone tried to ''re-fill'' the carplan demon foam bottle?. Got some the other day (not used it yet) & just wondered if it's re-fillable as I cant always be ***** to get the pressure washer out this time of year & hope this will work with just the hose.
i tried one was poor for me didnt have enough pressure i think in hose to get a good enough foam just dripped straight off car.

did my first wash today this year and start snowing part way though but i started so i finished took ages as was so cold no problem with products being cold

martin1984,i find it works great with just my hose as the water pressure in my area is good. That's why I wondered if the bottle was able to be refiled.

martin1984,i find it works great with just my hose as the water pressure in my area is good. That's why I wondered if the bottle was able to be refiled.
hi yea you can refill ive seen it sold in 5l bottle on the net i think.

Gave the RS3 a wash the other day. Never has it got so dirty in the past. There was dirt inside the door shuts, down the inside sills. Cleaning it in the cold wasn't bad. It was drying it that really hurt. Hands were frozen but it was worth it.

Did mine with Avalanche snow foam, but warmed the water mix. Sprayed on some iron X decontaminent and then left for a couple of mins.:cold:

Jet washed off and shoved it in the double garage with the heater and radio on.:yahoo:

Quick Blackfire mist and jobs a good un.:thumbs up:

My wife still stays the house came free with my garage:whistle2:

Reactions: SamR92, surfer8210 and martin1984
hi yea you can refill ive seen it sold in 5l bottle on the net i think.
...........thanks martin. I've got regular ''snow foam'' & as above can't always be ***** to get the pressure washer out when just doing a quick '' maintence wash'' so if I can re-use the demon shine bottle that will be useful.

Winter quick clean in the cold.

fdf668ab-a91e-43f4-bafd-59016157faf2-jpeg.149043
I use this empty demon snow foam bottle to mix up some BH surfex and connect it to the hose pipe.
Pretty impressed with this decreaser. Only sprayed on and rinsed off. This got a lot better results than the demon snow foam. Which l only wanted so l could use the bottle and adapter to apply BH surfex in the first place.

Before and after shots
1b81cd80-02ba-492b-b512-e1d644219a4d-jpeg.149044

Reactions: martin1984 and Radford212
Rinse the mitt with a hose after each panel or when you feel itsi the time to do so, **** filling, carrying 2 large buckets about ... ..... Then there's the guff in the rinsing bucket

There's me with four... Two for the body and two for wheels :D

Reactions: oli356 and surfer8210
Got stuck into both cars on Saturday, snow on the ground but no where near as cold as it has been.

Both cars very mucky but happy with the results. Temp 1c, any colder and it might have been a different story.

Floret looks great with the snow, then tucked back up in the garage, lovely.

Sno 50
Snow 50
Rq 50 snow
A1 side 50
A1 snow
All clezn 50

Reactions: martin1984, DohNut, Swanny356 and 1 other person
:thumbs up:A1 & A5 family - we could start a club :yahoo:

Reactions: daytonamart and martin1984
Got stuck into both cars on Saturday, snow on the ground but no where near as cold as it has been.

Both cars very mucky but happy with the results. Temp 1c, any colder and it might have been a different story.

Floret looks great with the snow, then tucked back up in the garage, lovely.

View attachment 150135 View attachment 150137 View attachment 150138 View attachment 150139 View attachment 150140 View attachment 150141

Both look really good mate. Definitely want your garage lol :)

Reactions: daytonamart