Cold start noise A4 B9 3.0tdi

Zako

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for some advise from people to what they think this could possibly be or have experienced it themselves.

On a cold start leaving the car over night when starting in the morning there’s a noise coming from what sounds like the back for the engine. The noise disappears when the engine is warm and it doesn’t occur again until the engine is cold.

It’s been into Audi as it’s still under warranty but they didn’t start my car until the afternoon (had been sitting in the sun all day) so all I got off them was that’s just normal injector noise.

Any help is much appreciated if you listen to the videos you will be able to hear it. The longer of the two videos the noise you can hear at around 50 seconds.

Cheers

A4 avant Quattro 3.0tdi 272ps 2016

Sounds like a belt on a pulley in the first video. Then in the second a bit of a rough start.

Reactions: Zako
Hi,

Looking for some advise from people to what they think this could possibly be or have experienced it themselves.

On a cold start leaving the car over night when starting in the morning there’s a noise coming from what sounds like the back for the engine. The noise disappears when the engine is warm and it doesn’t occur again until the engine is cold.

It’s been into Audi as it’s still under warranty but they didn’t start my car until the afternoon (had been sitting in the sun all day) so all I got off them was that’s just normal injector noise.

Any help is much appreciated if you listen to the videos you will be able to hear it. The longer of the two videos the noise you can hear at around 50 seconds.

Cheers

A4 avant Quattro 3.0tdi 272ps 2016
Did you find out what this was m8? I've just bought one of these and mine does this as well.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Still none the wiser had another garage have a look under warranty and the adjusted the drive plate on the flywheel which made no difference at the cost of £300!!

I have been told now just to sit on it and see if the noise progresses as it’s a dry noise and it’s not metallic in person.

Just out of interest how many miles have you done?

Still none the wiser had another garage have a look under warranty and the adjusted the drive plate on the flywheel which made no difference at the cost of £300!!

I have been told now just to sit on it and see if the noise progresses as it’s a dry noise and it’s not metallic in person.

Just out of interest how many miles have you done?
I've literally just picked the car up on Friday. It's done 29k. It didn't make any noise on Saturday morning but did yesterday, it also did when it was up to temperature. Mine sounds like it's coming from the passenger side somewhere. Is that the same for you?

Oh that’s not good at all! How annoying!

The noise for me seems to go away once it is up to temp if the coolant gets above about 60ish the noise disappears for me.

If the noise you have is there when it’s up to temp it could be worth taking in under warranty just in it’s something serious.

They were pretty good with me at the second garage I went to what I will say is check out the dealer reviews before you go as the first dealership I went to they told me it’s normal injector noise and can’t hear anything. What I did was they day they were looking at it I got there and waited for them to start so they could start the car with me to make sure they were hearing the same thing as me.

My noise started at about 57k

Oh that’s not good at all! How annoying!

The noise for me seems to go away once it is up to temp if the coolant gets above about 60ish the noise disappears for me.

If the noise you have is there when it’s up to temp it could be worth taking in under warranty just in it’s something serious.

They were pretty good with me at the second garage I went to what I will say is check out the dealer reviews before you go as the first dealership I went to they told me it’s normal injector noise and can’t hear anything. What I did was they day they were looking at it I got there and waited for them to start so they could start the car with me to make sure they were hearing the same thing as me.

My noise started at about 57k
When your noise is on, if you rev it does the noise go away? Mine dissappears, tbh it sounds more like something is catching and rattling somewhere, it's very intermittent, only done it once today that was first start this morning but not straight away, came on after about 3 mins

Hi All

it appears i have the same issue. Did you manage to get it resolved? I've been reading on the german forums that this is an exaust valve issue.

Link to my sound engine and explanation. This has been covered by Audi TPI 2043172/23

I'm intending to take the car to the main dealer and see what they will say. It's out of warranty however has been serviced in there all the time.

Attachments

• technische-produktinformation-2043172-19.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 129
Hi All

it appears i have the same issue. Did you manage to get it resolved? I've been reading on the german forums that this is an exaust valve issue.

Link to my sound engine and explanation. This has been covered by Audi TPI 2043172/23

I'm intending to take the car to the main dealer and see what they will say. It's out of warranty however has been serviced in there all the time.

Isn't this injector ticking sound normal? Perhaps it sounds more pronounced in real as in the video it's hard to really make out.

I've done 97k miles in mine I think it's always made that sound when cold but I can't hear anything out of the ordinary from inside the cabin.

One thing I did notice though wen accelerating round a corner when cold was a belt or chain sound that sounds like it's getting caught somewhere. Has anyone else had this?

My contact at Audi said the noise is from the chain tensioners or something and it's normal..

Hi Syed, Injectors can be heard seperately, it's the knocking sound when you move towards the back left side of the engine. It's a camshaft being loose. Audi confirmed they can hear the noise and wants £700 just to investigate further. I took it down to the independet and they've confirmed straight away that it's the camshaft making a noise as it does it also on the warm engine. They've quoted £1200 with the parts at £480 to replace.

Syed noisy chain or tensioners especially when cold are signs of wear, to be honest this is not normal and it will need looking at. Try to get someone to start the car for you and listen for the rattling in the first 2-10s of the engine start. As far as I've done the research parts are not that expensive however you're looking at between 20-30 hours of labour as the engine needs to come out. Unfortunately Audi hasn't sorted this out since they've introduced the 3.0 tdi in 2004!

Last edited:
Syed noisy chain or tensioners especially when cold are signs of wear, to be honest this is not normal and it will need looking at. Try to get someone to start the car for you and listen for the rattling in the first 2-10s of the engine start. As far as I've done the research parts are not that expensive however you're looking at between 20-30 hours of labour as the engine needs to come out. Unfortunately Audi hasn't sorted this out since they've introduced the 3.0 tdi in 2004!

Booked in with audi next week.

Fingers crossed!

Video can be seen on other thread

Please let us know how much they've quoted for the works as I suspect I'll have to do mine in a non distance future.

Hi all. I was looking to buy a4 b9 v6 but i think it has the same issue. Not sure if is just me but i can hear other noise in the background of the ticking noise. The car was also warmed up to temp before i get there which suggest they are trying to hide something. Video from engine noise on link below. Would appreciate any advice as car have loads of equioment and is black with black edition trim. Thanks.

Hi all. I was looking to buy a4 b9 v6 but i think it has the same issue. Not sure if is just me but i can hear other noise in the background of the ticking noise. The car was also warmed up to temp before i get there which suggest they are trying to hide something. Video from engine noise on link below. Would appreciate any advice as car have loads of equioment and is black with black edition trim. Thanks.

Defiinetly knocking! It's really annoying as friend got this motor with 45k miles and is knocking louder than my at 96k

Reactions: Cisco
Defiinetly knocking! It's really annoying as friend got this motor with 45k miles and is knocking louder than my at 96k
This has 35k miles, guy was trying to convince me that the car comes with 1 year warranty. I think all used v6 are having issues. Ive seen a6 v6 tdi last year with about 40k miles that was worse.