Cold start noise A4 B9 3.0tdi

Zako

Hi,

Looking for some advise from people to what they think this could possibly be or have experienced it themselves.

On a cold start leaving the car over night when starting in the morning there’s a noise coming from what sounds like the back for the engine. The noise disappears when the engine is warm and it doesn’t occur again until the engine is cold.

It’s been into Audi as it’s still under warranty but they didn’t start my car until the afternoon (had been sitting in the sun all day) so all I got off them was that’s just normal injector noise.

Any help is much appreciated if you listen to the videos you will be able to hear it. The longer of the two videos the noise you can hear at around 50 seconds.

Cheers

A4 avant Quattro 3.0tdi 272ps 2016

WesT-gefül

Bronze Supporter
Sounds like a belt on a pulley in the first video. Then in the second a bit of a rough start.

Ginge247

Hi,

Looking for some advise from people to what they think this could possibly be or have experienced it themselves.

On a cold start leaving the car over night when starting in the morning there’s a noise coming from what sounds like the back for the engine. The noise disappears when the engine is warm and it doesn’t occur again until the engine is cold.

It’s been into Audi as it’s still under warranty but they didn’t start my car until the afternoon (had been sitting in the sun all day) so all I got off them was that’s just normal injector noise.

Any help is much appreciated if you listen to the videos you will be able to hear it. The longer of the two videos the noise you can hear at around 50 seconds.

Cheers

A4 avant Quattro 3.0tdi 272ps 2016
Did you find out what this was m8? I've just bought one of these and mine does this as well.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Zako

Still none the wiser had another garage have a look under warranty and the adjusted the drive plate on the flywheel which made no difference at the cost of £300!!

I have been told now just to sit on it and see if the noise progresses as it’s a dry noise and it’s not metallic in person.

Just out of interest how many miles have you done?

Ginge247

Still none the wiser had another garage have a look under warranty and the adjusted the drive plate on the flywheel which made no difference at the cost of £300!!

I have been told now just to sit on it and see if the noise progresses as it’s a dry noise and it’s not metallic in person.

Just out of interest how many miles have you done?
I've literally just picked the car up on Friday. It's done 29k. It didn't make any noise on Saturday morning but did yesterday, it also did when it was up to temperature. Mine sounds like it's coming from the passenger side somewhere. Is that the same for you?

Zako

Oh that’s not good at all! How annoying!

The noise for me seems to go away once it is up to temp if the coolant gets above about 60ish the noise disappears for me.

If the noise you have is there when it’s up to temp it could be worth taking in under warranty just in it’s something serious.

They were pretty good with me at the second garage I went to what I will say is check out the dealer reviews before you go as the first dealership I went to they told me it’s normal injector noise and can’t hear anything. What I did was they day they were looking at it I got there and waited for them to start so they could start the car with me to make sure they were hearing the same thing as me.

My noise started at about 57k

Ginge247

Oh that’s not good at all! How annoying!

The noise for me seems to go away once it is up to temp if the coolant gets above about 60ish the noise disappears for me.

If the noise you have is there when it’s up to temp it could be worth taking in under warranty just in it’s something serious.

They were pretty good with me at the second garage I went to what I will say is check out the dealer reviews before you go as the first dealership I went to they told me it’s normal injector noise and can’t hear anything. What I did was they day they were looking at it I got there and waited for them to start so they could start the car with me to make sure they were hearing the same thing as me.

My noise started at about 57k
When your noise is on, if you rev it does the noise go away? Mine dissappears, tbh it sounds more like something is catching and rattling somewhere, it's very intermittent, only done it once today that was first start this morning but not straight away, came on after about 3 mins