Cold start judder on new A3 Sport 1.5

Richard Creswell

Reaction score
Has anyone else come across this issue? On cold start, the revs seems to hunt around for 20/25 seconds before settling, and then the car is juddery when taking off. Also at slow speed it judders. Only 5 months old.

Took it to an Audi dealer yesterday - they agreed there was an issue, and went about checking their Audi database for the solution. They then told me that Audi are aware that there is an issue with the 1.5 engine, and that this has been listed as a "postponed repair" - ie, there is no fix at the moment. They are still working on it. I called Audi Customer Services and they confirmed that Audi are indeed aware of the problem as other owners of cars with this engine had reported similar issues. The chap said someone from management (?) would call me back within 2 days.

Soooo - I bought a brand new car, which has a fault that the manufacturer admits exists, and cannot be fixed!!

Anyone on here had this? And what action, if any, did you take?

Commonly reported around here.

Manual or automatic?

I have the 1.5 (manual) and mine seems to not really be affected, can be a little slow at picking up when first turned on but doesn’t judder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Q2 35 TFSI DSG loan car (not sure what engine)

You can feel the engine kangarooing when driving off from cold.

The more complicated engines are getting, the more things go wrong with them. Just wait till all the VC screens start crashing and failing in years to come. The more complicated something is, the more can go wrong.

BMW engines with 3 Turbo's. Like that's not going to be costly in years to come.

I own a 4 month old 35TFSI (1.5 TFSI) S-tronic. I have not notice anything like this so far. Yes, revs a little higher at the cold start, but it doesn't last long and the car drives normal, I guess. I never heard of kangarooing, so may be I don't know what to look at. I'll try to pay more attention tomorrow morning.

The more complicated engines are getting, the more things go wrong with them. Just wait till all the VC screens start crashing and failing in years to come. The more complicated something is, the more can go wrong.

BMW engines with 3 Turbo's. Like that's not going to be costly in years to come.
Was the same for me when I had the Q2 as a courtesy car, 1st was very finicky and loved kangarooing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I’ve had my A3 35 TFSI stronic for 3 months and haven’t encountered any noticeable juddering or kangarooing from cold. Is it something that develops or is present in the engine from new? Would be good to know if it’s something I should keep an eye on.

I expect many said that when comparing a Model T with a horse and cart.. ;-)

I’ve had my A3 35 TFSI stronic for 3 months and haven’t encountered any noticeable juddering or kangarooing from cold. Is it something that develops or is present in the engine from new? Would be good to know if it’s something I should keep an eye on.

mine has got worse over time but was a bit rough even on the day I collected it. Interesting that Audi seem to have temporarily dropped the 1.5 petrol engine from its line-up

You can still purchase this engine with other VAG vehicles so I wouldn't read too much into that. This time of year audi make model and option changes...

The "Kangarooing" is widely reported on the Skoda forum ( for some reason?) in relation to the 1.5TSi VAG motor but doesn't seem to be as quite much of an issue on here? I would have guessed the software was the same, but maybe not..? Our 1.5 is ok, there is a tiny hesitancy when you first set off from a cold start ( which I've had with many non-VAG cars) but I now subconciously compensate for that with a few more revs.....

I initially planned to replace my Yeti with a 1,5tsi Skoda Karoq, even thought about a VW T-Roc until I sat in one of them horrible hard plastics and upholstery colours]. I was put off by the kangaroo issue, longer order times of 8/10 months and high prices. My A3 has no apparent problem in this area, was available in a few months, is higher spec and was cheaper.

Colin

148 pages on the TRoc Forum about this . Though mainly affects (or can be felt more ) in manuals .
There is a theory the 1.5 is going to be dumped . Apparently they never launched it in the US and they still have the 1.4 . No surprise as they only compensate in the US (dieselgate) ...

148 pages on the TRoc Forum about this . Though mainly affects (or can be felt more ) in manuals .
There is a theory the 1.5 is going to be dumped . Apparently they never launched it in the US and they still have the 1.4 . No surprise as they only compensate in the US (dieselgate) ...

It's the culture over there though, isn't it. And they don't sue for $10,000. More like $10,000,000

Same with Porsche. When the GT3 engines had issues. The USA and some other countries were compensated. Here in the UK they got nothing.

VW are being sued in the UK over Diesel-gate. I'm on the list. Rumbling on for a year or so, and only likely to get to court in 2020/2021. If successful, I doubt the fine to VW will be anything substantial, if anything at all. Probably only cover the cost of the law suit, and their fee's

Quite widely reported in the Q2 forums. Cars have been rejected, seems like a dangerous thing to happen. Looks like no fix until the end of the year according to the last few posts.

https://www.q2forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=839&sid=e926591fe2813774d36d8e38610f341b

Update - Audi offered me £1000 to keep the car until they found a fix. Rejected that offer, and rejected the car. No problem and relatively straightforward. Received full refund from dealer within a week - PCP deposit, all PCP monthly payments made, GAP insurance payment etc - all they deducted was a per mile charge for the mileage I had done in the car, which is totally fair. The car is now for sale again on the Audi Lincoln website! So they know that car has a problem yet are still selling it!!

Have ordered a 40 TFSI instead...

Reactions: Ormesome