Cold start issue I need to sort asap.

AudiA3JJ

Reaction score
The car has been difficult to start from cold for a while now it does always start but sometimes I have to crank it a few times before it fires up.
My battery voltage appears to be very good, so I was thinking of replacing the starter motor but I just wondered is there anything else I could try or check even via vcds to avoid wasting money on a starter motor if it's not needed?

If it was your starter motor then I'm pretty sure it wouldn't crank at all, and also you usually get the horrific squeeking sound when it starts if the starter motor is going man, the firsts thing I would check is plugs... And a VCDS like you say, could be anything! Mine sometimes does this too

I only say the starter moter after reading a few other threads on similar issues and it had been the culprit a couple of times due to not having the cranking power. Is there a way to check the g/plugs?

Could anyone help me, is there a way to check if it's for glow plugs causing a starting issue?

FYI, the car does always start it just takes a few turns.

If it was your starter motor then I'm pretty sure it wouldn't crank at all, and also you usually get the horrific squeeking sound when it starts if the starter motor is going man, the firsts thing I would check is plugs... And a VCDS like you say, could be anything! Mine sometimes does this too

Could anyone help me, is there a way to check if it's for glow plugs causing a starting issue?

FYI, the car does always start it just takes a few turns.
I doubt it is the glow plugs at this time of year, they only start to work when temperatures are below 4-5oC.

It could be something to do with the fuel, have you tried parking on an incline, that may help or make it worse as the fuel could be draining back.

Try the easy things first, get it plugged in VCDS and it will show any faults. Easier than taking out the plugs and testing the voltage.

Where are you located?

Could be your temp sender unit you really need to have it plugged in

No faults on vcds showing. Where is temp sender located?

Cheers, How would that work when its cold? .. What exactly would I be looking for?