cold mornings

treblesykes

Reaction score
Just bought a 2.0 tdi sportback sport and find the climate control doesnt come alive on a cold morning. Fan stays slow and little air comes from center air vents unless demist is turned off. Always expected a fast fan and plenty of heat until inside reaches set temp. Think there maybe a fault? Only way to get warm is to manual speed up fan and set air to dash vents and floor. worse than the manual air in my golf.

The little button with the windscreen symbol on it down on the bottom left of the panel will boost the climate output and should speed up things. Otherwise you will need to wait until the engine warms up or use the manual control (which will only push cold air around faster).

Looks like you should have ordered heated seats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

you have climate control and not air conditioning, and before anyone says air con is climate control it is not.
climate control includes airconditioning and will stay on slow speeds until the heater is getting warm coolant to blow at you rather than blow freezing cold air at you.

good idea but unfortunately the sales people do not explain it to customers properly, by the sounds of it you do not have a fault and hae no need to worry!

also the air con compressor cuts itself out on cold mornings so the pipes not not freeze. the compressor cuts back in at approx 4-5 degrees C.

bought car second hand with 200 mile on clock so heater seats where not an option. Thanks for advice will carry a hip flask from now on!!! anyone else fustrated by the way that the handbrake clashes with the arm rest?
Minor faults do not spoil an excellent car.

[ QUOTE ]
treblesykes said:
bought car second hand with 200 mile on clock so heater seats where not an option. Thanks for advice will carry a hip flask from now on!!! anyone else fustrated by the way that the handbrake clashes with the arm rest?
Minor faults do not spoil an excellent car.

[/ QUOTE ]

The handbrake clashes with the armrest only when pulled, this is indeed a bit annoying...
But wait until you'd have these:

1. dials panel's light stop working randomly if the car being turned on in a cold night (I have no idea how to say it in English - where the speedometer and his friends are installed)
And if that's not dangerous and annoying enough - the clock is being reset on the way...
2. Driver's window is squirking when closing and when it is opened - it's not completely opened, seemed to have jumped to the next tooth on the belt...
3. Passenger's window is making annoying sounds of moving plastics touching each other when completely closed
4. AC is doing a tractor's noise when turned on with fan > %50
5. When switching from economy to AC there is a smell of a dead cat for a minute.

The list goes on and on...

Sorry, I simply had to let some steam go - the car is going to be fixed (hopefully) this Tue Although I have serious doubts about it getting actually fixed, the local (and only... here lays the problem) VAG representatives in Israel simply suck.

The fifth part is most likely because you have little bacterias living there, normal for any AC-system. It's because after using it's still wet. You can buy spray which will clean it up.

Anyway, haven't had any problems with cold mornings, at least didn't last winter, and haven't had yet this one.

- Yak

[ QUOTE ]
Yak said:
The fifth part is most likely because you have little bacterias living there, normal for any AC-system. It's because after using it's still wet. You can buy spray which will clean it up.

Anyway, haven't had any problems with cold mornings, at least didn't last winter, and haven't had yet this one.

- Yak

[/ QUOTE ]

The car had its 30,000K scheduled treatment a month ago - they claimed to have cleaned the entire AC system (and on the way - did something wrong and made my AC sound like a tractor...)

The drivers/passenger door squeak/noise is a known problem on the new A3, the door seals need to be replaced, take it to the dealer and it will be done under warranty. I've had the passenger door one done, its now silent, still waiting for the part for the drivers door (which squeaks like a [censored]).

It sounds like the a/c fan (internal) needs replacing, had this problem on a new Beetle on anything above 25% it sounds like a light aircraft is trying to come out of the dashboard.

As for the bad smells, that usually only happens if the a/c is switched off for long periods or if the car is not used. Maybe when they replace the a/c fan they can flush out the system properly.