Cold air intake experience?

GregerseN

GOT TURBO?
Reaction score
Hello fellas

$(KGrHqR,!h!FC1yVqwHRBQ)2iFgl2!~~60_57.JPG

I've just bought this, does any of you have any experience with this particular cold air intake?
Or do you have some kind of recommendations for a better cold air intake?

I want it to realy roar, as loud as possible, but also as deep as possible so you can hear me come, when I put the pedal to the medal, in my A3 8L1 1.8 T

Best regards

Well, I just won the auction on eBay

Whenever I get it home, if I get it to fit, i'll be posting a video.

Avoid puddles !!!! be better of with a large cone filter under the bonnet

Puddles?
Not exactly sure what you mean by that?

So you're telling me that this kit, that I just bought, isn't so darn good for my engine, or?

As in the fact that the kit positions the filter down low and exposed, whilst meaning it can suck in cooler air; also means it is exposed to all the puddles and surface water on the roads.

Personally I went for a Honda S2K filter, a SFS supersize TIP will help too.

Puddles?
Not exactly sure what you mean by that?

So you're telling me that this kit, that I just bought, isn't so darn good for my engine, or?

What he means is you need to avoid driving through standing water as the cone is low to the ground which could suck that water into the engine and hydrolock it... this would be very bad...

Cold air feeds are not really needed on turbo engines tbh... the air temp coming out of the turbo is 150 degrees or so regardless of ambient air temps... a decent FMIC does much more to help intake temps than this induction will ever do...

Just save your cash and fit a decent cone filter if you want induction noise (turbo cars don't make much induction noise anyway) and invest in a decent FMIC

<tuffty/>

What he means is you need to avoid driving through standing water as the cone is low to the ground which could suck that water into the engine and hydrolock it... this would be very bad...

Cold air feeds are not really needed on turbo engines tbh... the air temp coming out of the turbo is 150 degrees or so regardless of ambient air temps... a decent FMIC does much more to help intake temps than this induction will ever do...

Just save your cash and fit a decent cone filter if you want induction noise (turbo cars don't make much induction noise anyway) and invest in a decent FMIC

<tuffty/>

^^^
This

If you really want loud then you cant get any louder than the Powertec SL1000 imho, its a high flow, low resistance metal mesh filter but usually more suited to a BT setup, i had one on my S3 but it was too loud for my liking. It doesn't have the same filtering performance to a paper or cotton filter but it is loud (if thats what you really want) You'd be much better off with an S2000 or JR or equivalent paper or cotton filter, they're very popular and work well on the 1.8T

Steve

Well, I have already purchased this kit, tbh, won it at auction on eBay last night, paid a total of 66 GBP.. This one, wont make the filter go all the way down, through the engine bay and close to the ground?? would it? I thought this would stop right AFTER the battery, and not go further down

If you've already bought it then there's no harm in trying it, I can't comment on it really as i've never used one but to be honest most of the cost there will be for the pipework not the filter. Give it a go and hopefully you'll be pleased with it

Steve

Well, I have already purchased this kit, tbh, won it at auction on eBay last night, paid a total of 66 GBP.. This one, wont make the filter go all the way down, through the engine bay and close to the ground?? would it? I thought this would stop right AFTER the battery, and not go further down

They generally end up in the bumper space... while not dragging on the ground it will be subject to water ingress from the grilles in the front of the bumper and the gap underneath.

<tuffty/>

If you've already bought it then there's no harm in trying it, I can't comment on it really as i've never used one but to be honest most of the cost there will be for the pipework not the filter. Give it a go and hopefully you'll be pleased with it

Steve

They generally end up in the bumper space... while not dragging on the ground it will be subject to water ingress from the grilles in the front of the bumper and the gap underneath.

<tuffty/>
Ah, thanks guys.
Well, IN case it does move the filter all the way near the bottom of the front bumper, I could cut off some of the pipe, I guess, and just make some nice fitment with some of that blue silicone stuff..?
Anyway, it has been shipped and I should receive it HOPEFULLY Friday, or monday.. I'll post video and pics..

£66 :eek: you can buy them for £35 from toyo sports

Reactions: Lee coley
This kit is a cheap remake of the Carbonio kit years back. I had this on my leon when I first got it years ago. It was the loudest air filter setup I have ever heard on the 1.8T car, sounding exactly like my atmospheric dump valve I had on my RS Turbo years back.

It did sound nice....initially, but really started to annoy me after a while, so it got changed for a Green filter, away from puddles, and of course easier to maintain, because with this kit it sat down the wing, making it a pain to remove/clean etc

Reactions: A3-Lee
I had a Carbonio CAI with an in bumper filter on an Octavia VRS 1.8T. Sounded amazing and made all the right turbo noises! That coupled with a THS FMIC and it was fantastic. Also I never had any issues with water but I was sensible not going through any rivers! Don't worry too much mate, as long as you like it and it fits well go for it!

£66 :eek: you can buy them for £35 from toyo sports
Oh...... crap.. Well, paid is paid - i'll give it a go anyway

This kit is a cheap remake of the Carbonio kit years back. I had this on my leon when I first got it years ago. It was the loudest air filter setup I have ever heard on the 1.8T car, sounding exactly like my atmospheric dump valve I had on my RS Turbo years back.

It did sound nice....initially, but really started to annoy me after a while, so it got changed for a Green filter, away from puddles, and of course easier to maintain, because with this kit it sat down the wing, making it a pain to remove/clean etc
Ah - well, I wont worry about the sound annoying me because it wont - I want to to take in as much air, as loud, as possible.. I realy want it to Roar like Katy Perry

Also I never had any issues with water but I was sensible not going through any rivers! Don't worry too much mate, as long as you like it and it fits well go for it!
Didn't exactly plan to fly through a bunch of rivers to be honets :p.. but of course i'll be avoiding huge puddles, in the future.

Anyway, I realy like the color and thinking about making it a theme with my silver a3, but lets see..

Well enjoy it mate, it's loud lol. Only thing I would change is those nasty jubilee clips for some mikalor ones or any decent clips. I have used those cheap clips before included in kits like this and they often rust and fall apart or the threads running around the clip cut into the silicon hose. As the clamps will be low to the ground, water ingress will be greater on the clips, so just a thought to keep in mind mate :)

Well enjoy it mate, it's loud lol. Only thing I would change is those nasty jubilee clips for some mikalor ones or any decent clips. I have used those cheap clips before included in kits like this and they often rust and fall apart or the threads running around the clip cut into the silicon hose. As the clamps will be low to the ground, water ingress will be greater on the clips, so just a thought to keep in mind mate :)
Ah, didn't even give that a thought ... Do you have a link for any of those clips? Never heard or thought of such before.
I like it loud, I want it to roar deeply.

How low , anyone got any pics ?

Definitely louder as the metal pipe work resonates sound whereas a tip absorbs some.

How low , anyone got any pics ?

Definitely louder as the metal pipe work resonates sound whereas a tip absorbs some.
I hope this gives you some kind of idea of how far down it'll go

Out of interest, You're not planning on fitting one of those atmospheric 50/50 type valves like in the vid are you, that would be a bad idea

Steve

The charge pipe has a silencer, getting rid of that would give you some more turbo noise

The charge pipe has a silencer, getting rid of that would give you some more turbo noise
The op has an A3 dude.. the charge pipe has no silencer on A3's...

If it's a K03s it will have a silencer built into the turbo itself... Not as easy to remove

<tuffty/>

The op has an A3 dude.. the charge pipe has no silencer on A3's...

If it's a K03s it will have a silencer built into the turbo itself... Not as easy to remove

<tuffty/>
Ah my mistake got carried away haha