coilpack

ruffcutz

Reaction score
hello everyone i have a problem with my 2002 audi a4 quattro sport 3.0 it starts with when i'm driving my car or try driving with normal response from the car it wont have it, it judders and lacks proper response from me accelerating and deffentley holds back on power. Now from the garage thery say it has these problems which are as follows:-

cylinder 4 missfire
cylinder 5 missfire
cylinder 6 missfire

16688/16690/16689/16684/ random missfire

17763/17772/17769/17766/17778/17775

1 cylinder 17763

cylinder 6 ingnition pulse open circuit 17778

Now the garage changed the coil packs for this missfire and changed the spark plugs and that hasn't helped but made the car start much quicker but engine light is still on and the car still is acting the same also, when the coil packs were changed the new ones blew and they were all changed all 6 of them but before only 5 were not working now all 6 new ones are not working and also the garage was saying somthing about the vacum hose was taped up already but as its saturday il will have to wait till monday before they can check that too can anyone help with these codes please

thanks!!!

Seems like strange logic from the garage there! So, 5 coil packs were faulty, they replaced all 6 and they all blew? Are they charging you for the £150 worth of coil packs, or is it under some kind of warranty? If either, then I'd be healthily sceptical. Maybe they're just trying to show you they're trying to fix the fault.

Anyway, it could be that the vacuum hose fault, whatever it is, could be the problem. Also, searching the Ross Tech wiki points to checking the fuel pump relay, which could give the symptoms you describe?

17778/P1370/004976 - Ross-Tech Wiki

IF 6 new coil packs have been fitted and IF they've ALL blown, then I'd look at the power supply to them. It would be incredible for all to go at once randomly. I'd work back from that, and ultimately the ECU I guess.

Apologies if the tone of my post comes across wrong, it's just that I've been on the receiving end of Garages sometimes scattergun approaches, and often downright fibs! Ask for evidence of what they've been doing and question their logic. Put your other codes into the link above and see if there are common faults.

Good luck!

Is there an ignition control module on this engine, on my B5 a few years ago my misfires were caused by a faulty IGM, housed near the air box i think...Google Audi Ignition control module, for images and you`ll see what it looks like...

hello again i ment to say 5 coil bits not 5 packs of coil packs lol no they are not trying to charge me anything at the moment but they fitted the coil pack on for the first time and they blew all 6, the garage said it could be todo with the vauum hose, but wasn't sure as there so busy and werent able to aquire the parts today .So i will have to wait till wedesday to find out, because there waiting for a proper techi guy with all the proper real updated sofware that should find out stuff stright away without messing about . The garage my car is in say thats all they can do really till this guy comes along .

Is there an ignition control module on this engine, on my B5 a few years ago my misfires were caused by a faulty IGM, housed near the air box i think...Google Audi Ignition control module, for images and you`ll see what it looks like...

I am not sure about that

Ignition coil pack signals come straight from the Motronic ECU.

Hello everyone i took my car out for a spin today , but the garage still are scratching there heads about it as they found that the car hoses were covered up intape , like electrical tape on the hoses . So they had changed the spark plugs ,changed the petrol filter ,changed the coil packs and now 3,5,6 are missfiring again that came up on the readings . They have said the Lamba sensor came up twice , but missfire came up again more often . They also said they tape back up the hoses to see if that was the problem before ordering , but i said go ahead as they said they need to be changed , hence why they have been taped up . They also changed some other filter , but havent been able to check my oil , as my dipstick has broken . Also when i try driving the car today ,it was a bit better the engine light went off for a min or two , but as i started to pick up speed over 40mph it came on . Sometimes it would just stay on solid or flash . Well it never done that before . It's always been flashing , also when i was driving it for about 1hr and stopped to fill up on petrol , there was a slight smoke comming from the bonnet , not from over heating through as the cars temp was half way and has never over heated. It was more like a white smoke well more like a steam of smoke and i dont know what that is ,so i will have to tell the garage when i take it back on tuesday as there are no audi hose pipes in stock . So they will have them in on tuesday for me lets hope something goes right for once ,as the garage did get the car running for 10 mins and then it went back to square one again but , that was when they re-taped the hoses so fingers crossed .