Coilovers

Deanjames

Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked many times, and at the end of the day is potentially down to personal opinion, but thought i would ask anyway.

I am looking at coilovers for my S3.

If you ask me the standard suspension on the S3 is very harsh, so this is something i am looking to change. My previous car had air ride but i don't really want to go air on this, i want it to remain drive able with sensible profile tires.

What are people running on there S3 ? AP seem to be a favorite, along with KW.

How do these favor over the like of FK and TA Teknix, i went in my friends A4 the other day running TA teknix after his KW leaked and the ride was really comfy over his previous set up.

So discuss away :)

Last edited:
I am sure this has been asked many times, and at the end of the day is potentially down to personal opinion, but thought i would ask anyway.

I am looking at coilovers for my S3.

If you ask me the standard suspension on the S3 is very harsh, so this is something i am looking to change. My previous car had air ride but i don't really want to go air on this, i want it to remain drive able with sensible profile tires.

What are people running on there S3 ? AP seem to be a favorite, along with KW.

How do these favor over the like of FK and TA Teknix, i went in my friends A4 the other day running TA teknix after his KW leaked and the ride was really comfy over his previous set up.

So discuss away :)

kW here.

Had the v3's for a few years before going a stage further and getting the Clubsport setup with adjustable front topmounts.

The stock suspension is wobbly and poorly damped.

A lot is down to the budget you have and what you want from the kit, also what you'll be using them in in terms of only road or road and track.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Reactions: S3Alex
As Damian has said, most will come down to how much you want to spend and if they are purely for road use or road/track.

I had AP's on mine and thought they were brilliant for the money.

A lot is down to the budget you have and what you want from the kit, also what you'll be using them in in terms of only road or road and track.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Just looking for a comfy ride! I have been in some cars with horrible coilovers really bouncy or harsh ride. I do about 100 miles a week, non track use looking at 500£ max

Have AP's too, but on FWD A3. I took them from friends GTI and now they have about 40k miles with no issues. They are just fantastic for that money. Had them tested along with the alignment and I was said shocks are like a new ones (on about 35k miles, when I bought them). I am pretty happy with them, some say that they are not as stiff as other sports coils, but I wouldnt say that. They are stiff but still comfy. Hope it helps. sorry about my english...

Well I have KW V3s and I love them. They are not bouncy but they are solid/firm, and I really love how they make the car feel. I am not sure if they would fit the bill of "comfy" though, as you do need to slow down for bumps etc. I think "comfy" is a strange request when you have bought an s3, but others may disagree with that :)

Well I have KW V3s and I love them. They are not bouncy but they are solid/firm, and I really love how they make the car feel. I am not sure if they would fit the bill of "comfy" though, as you do need to slow down for bumps etc. I think "comfy" is a strange request when you have bought an s3, but others may disagree with that :)

When I say comfy I mean not to harsh for everyday use, so far AP coilovers win for me.

There's kind of a bug inside me saying you spent good money on a car to only put a set of 200£ coilovers on it which don't make sense.

Anyone running fk or cheaper brands?

ap's here, you'll love them for an all rounder, could probably do the occasional track day with them but they are for fast road use really so fit the bill perfectly.

its made by kw too hence the quality

cover the threads with copper grease and don't forget to do the grub screw and they'll last a long long time

I'm on AP on my 3.2 and I have no complaints at all. Standard felt a bit crashy and harsh.
Feels Oem and smooth on the AP :)

For your budget, you will not get better coilovers than AP's.

Iv been on AP's for about 2 months and very happy! Only downside is for some people they may not go low enough, Ideally I'd like a bit more on the front! But comfort wise they are spot on!

I need shorter drop links and I run AP... Not bought any yet just raised the front at the moment