NethanB

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi

Just after some recommendations / personal experiences you guys have had installing anything to lower you A4 B8
I have a TDi Quattro and want to lower 40mm all round
Cost is not my issue at the moment, I just want to lower her in the best way without losing too much comfort

Coilovers seem like a good idea although some people have said Springs would be just as good
I've read someone had Eibach Springs with Bilstein Shocks (Is this the best?)

As I said, I only want to do this job once so need to make the right decision (My front discs also need changing so need to order lowering parts ASAP)

Thanks in advance

A good quality springs and shocks kit will give you the best ride quality where as coilovers provide the ability to get the car sitting exactly how you want it but they do tend to be a firmer option.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Reactions: ruairi83
coilovers are alot firmer and ive used them in all my cars you have to spend a decent amount as value for money is relevant to the quality i find. but a decent set of coilovers are wicked bit of kit so versatile. if you want the handling improvement on the oem with same comfort springs are a great shout for the money. all down to what youre going for tbh. my worst nightmare is massive gaps in the arches so i will probably chuck coils in soon

Cheers @Scott.T

I installed Eibach Pro kit into my A4. It dropped car 20-25mm all round which is perfect for what I wanted. Comform is perfect and no harsh ride quality. If you want 40mm then you need H&R springs (they give a better drop than eibach) with standard shocks providing your car hasn't got high miles. If it does your better changing to H&R springs with blisten shocks. @Point_Audi audi lowered his old a4 on H&R and he might have a picture to show you.

Coilovers = firm ride unless you pay big money for a proper set.

I'm running Eibach Pro Kit on my 3.0TDI Quattro SLine. It's lowered it about another 15-20mm from the already lowered stock SLine which was 25mm lower than SE.
Ride is firm but good and not uncomfortable at all. Just need to watch out for the larger sleeping policemen as they just catch the Cobra exhaust.
Here's a pic
521e33e46aaaeea9fa319048691175ff.jpg

Reactions: V6 Quatt and ruairi83
I ran pb coilovers on my old clk which had sport suspension and on there softest setting they were softer than the sport suspension which is more pliable than the s line suspension on my a4. On that basis i would say that they would be considerably softer than s line springs and dampers. They were excellent quality as well.

I put ap coilovers on my b6 s4 and they were fantastic for the money, less body roll than the standard suspension and the damping was far better than the standard shocks. They weren't bouncy at all and that was on their lowest setting, people could never believe how well it rode with it being so low.

I put a set on my mates 335i a couple of weeks ago and again they are fantastic on that. He's running super low now and again the body roll and damping is spot on. His standard suspension was very crashy on run flats and he was about to swap the tyres, we did the suspension first and now on ap's it's spot on.

If I didn't have the adjustable damping on my s4 b8.5 i'd have a set in a flash, there made by KW but they are their more affordable range and are not much more than a set of shocks and springs

Reactions: V6 Quatt
I'm running AP coilovers on my b8 saloon..... Great ride

Just in case there is any confusion, pb is a different brand to ap. Mine had 30 settings from soft to hard and cost £500 for springs and dampers. Don't know about ap?

AP are made by KW in Germany, there a lower priced range as KW's cheapest are around £1k. They don't have the same anti corrosion coating on them that kW use. My set on my b6 have been on a couple of years now and are still spot on and still easily adjust

I had Tein coilovers on one of my cars and the ride was past firm! Every pothole you would feel it!
I've also used springs only. Lowered the 30mm and the ride was spot on.
If I was going to lower my S4 I would use springs and shocks.

IMG 20151017 204734
I'm using BC Racing coils and as above they are comfortable ride is smooth settings are on 50% for dampening.

Much more customisation allowed to get them right. I must admit it takes a while to get the car sitting perfect as you have to do a few adjustments whilst the shocks and springs are settling in...

Reactions: RS5 JON
View attachment 76580 I'm using BC Racing coils and as above they are comfortable ride is smooth settings are on 50% for dampening.

Much more customisation allowed to get them right. I must admit it takes a while to get the car sitting perfect as you have to do a few adjustments whilst the shocks and springs are settling in...
Hi Mate, your car is spot on. I remember meeting you at ADI last year. Wasn't your brother there too? With an Avant?

Hi Mate, your car is spot on. I remember meeting you at ADI last year. Wasn't your brother there too? With an Avant?
Thanks pal...Yes he was their too was good to meet you.... yours looking nice too took a while to get it sitting wright.