Coilovers vs dampers & springds

dbm

Reaction score
Hi there,
It is approaching the time that I can afford to get my S3 modified, so I am ringing round the more respected modifiers to get quotes. Being non-mechanical, I'm telling them roughly what I want ("uprated suspension") and asking for suggestions on what parts I should fit.

I've got differing advice, and want to understand what the real differences are. Once tuning company has suggested I fit Eiback coilovers, but didn't mention shocks and dampers. Another suggested Koni shocks and dampers, but didn't mention coilovers. I have to admit I don't know what a coilover is.

What's the difference between the two approaches? Which components do you have on your modified car?

My car is an S3 with 210bhp so that you know where I'm starting from. Also, I don't really want to lower my car as it's easy to scrape the front spoiler as it is.

Cheers,
Dan

was that company who said about the eiback awesome gti, as i have those on my car and all i can say is they are great ride and handling are fantasic, i had mine koni coilovers exchnaged after nothing but trouble

coilovers are the same as shocks and springs just better like a race car they can be full adjusted in height and damping they are all self contained.

In regards to other mods, chipping, exhausts and brake upgrades are all popular as well as dv upgrades there are more mods and really the list can be endless as long as the cash is as well

Thanks guys.

It was Awesome GTI who recommended the coil-overs - good to hear from someone who has them.

I am planning to get an APR chip, Milltek exhaust, uprated suspension and brakes. I've got a reasonable handle on the chips and exhausts, but the more mechanical aspects of the car are something I'm not so sure about.

I'll start another thread about brakes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was going to go MTM due to their long history of modifying Audis. I've switched to APR, however, as their agents are a lot nearer where I live (Preston, Lancs) and the logistics of getting to QST was looking just too much.

Cheers,
Dan

Edited for spelling

I have also had the apr chip and my brakes done all from awesome they do over good service but im sure the others all do the same but i was please with how they helped me out with my koni coilovers etc

as ive said before in a post its all about quality service

Like will said the coilovers are fully adjustable for ride height and dont make the ride harsh due the springs and shocks being matched for maximum comfort. Ive got the H&R coilovers and give a very comfortable ride considering how low u can set the car too. Heres a pic of the front strut assembly

Front_Strut.sized.jpg

Please give more information about the adjustable camber kit, I am having difficulty finding one for the S3 FRONT.

Not entirely sure, but I thought one of the expensive fully adjustable kits came with front and rear camber.

I noticed you were interested the Forge rear adjustable tie arms from a previous thread? I've just had some Milltek ones fitted which you also might want to consider.

Otherwise the front suspension on standard s3s does allow for some camber adjustment. It was discussed in a previous thread. Search on suspension, if you haven't already seen it or are aware of this already.

cant find anything on the milltek site ?

where did you get them from

they should be fine dunc, coilovers tend to be only better if you want lower or want to save space in the arches due to big wheels etc. im sure you will be happy with the setup, i mean i do love my coilovers and i find the ride not to hard but depends on what roads are like near u.