1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Coilovers soon, few questions

Geeeeze Sep 14, 2019

1. Geeeeze

Geeeeze New Member

Going to be ordering coil overs soon for my a3 , while I’ve got all 4 corners dismantled is there anything I should be replacing or would benefit from being upgraded, like any bushes known for going bad? Also if there anyway of telling what strut size I need, 50mm or 55mm, without taking mine out and checking part numbers.

Thanks in advance:thumbs up:

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. SootySport

SootySport Well-Known Member Team Silver

Have a check of all the rubber suspension bushes and the track rod ends, they are the most common parts that wear. And have a look at the steering rack, CV gaiters.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  4. Sayam

Sayam Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

top mounts and bearings

5. A3JP

A3JP A3 1.8 TFSI S-Line リミテッド

Replaced the front top mounts and bearings on mine.

6. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

As mentioned the top mounts and bearings are a must really.

What engine size and spec if your A3?

Damian @ DPM Performance

7. Geeeeze

Geeeeze New Member

Sorry late reply haha, it’s a 2.0tfsi Quattro 2005

8. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

.......and torque the front suspension bearing /mount top nut to the correct setting (IIRC 44 lbs ft) .
    Too tight or too loose and you’ll have clunks / noises .

tcardio likes this.
  9. Geeeeze

Geeeeze New Member

Clunks and noises when going over speed bumps or turning? I have a strange clunking sound coming from front corner when going over big bumps and not been able to find what it is, previous owner replaced spring trying to cure the noise but no luck, probably top mount too tight or loose maybe

10. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

TBH not really sure, I renewed all my shocks & springs a few months ago (along with top mounts etc) and came across quite a few posts saying to get the front top mount nut torqued up correctly .
    Many people just tighten it with an air tool or similar and then find noises developing , too loose and noises develop, too tight and it just ruins the bearing in time .
    I was careful to get the torque just right and 6 months later all is still perfect.

Lunch likes this.