Coilovers, replace with new strut bearings or bearings+mounts?

Tuttivini

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying coilovers for my A3 E-Tron. To save some money, I'm going to install them myself.

Before fitting, I want to place new (o.e.m.) upper strut bearings on them.
I want to do this because reusing the old ones is extra change of creaking noises (had this before when I installed Eibach springs, reusing old bearings).

Do I need to replace bearings or bearings + mounts?

If I'm correct :
Bearings: 5Q0412249
Mounts: 5Q0412331

And are aftermarket brands like Febi-Bilstein, Sachs, Vaico etc also good? (I guess online much cheaper than dealer)

Febi would be my choice for cost/quality of the aftermarket brands but there are lots of decent brnad out there. I've used Febi for years on various vehicles and never had any issues.

I did my coilovers last week. I also put in new strut top bearings. Don't worry about the mounts. I ordered mine from crewe audi who are the site sponsor. If you pm him your reg he will sort you out :)

@Harvey Thanks for the info. Last month I bought Febi-Bilstein brake rotors, brake pads, filters, brake fluid etc for my other car, mk1 Audi TT. Feels and looks o.e.m. or even better because al the brake rotors are quality painted (the hubs and sides).
Good to hear I can also use top bearings from them.

@jimojameso So no new mounts needed, only bearings. Unless I don't want to use/buy a spring compressor tool to remove mounts from stock shocks, am I correct?

Which coilovers did you fit last week? Did you do it yourself? Easy job? Used a car lift bridge?

I live in The Netherlands, so easier to order from local Febi suppliers than the site sponsor.

I fitted Bilstein B16. They are awesome! :)

Yeah i wouldn't bother with the mounts unless they are high mileage. You will need springs compressors to get the old springs and mounts out.

Yes i fitted them myself. Took about three evenings after work going at quite a leisurely pace. If you're handy with spanners it is quite an easy job.

Cheers

Reactions: Tuttivini