COILOVERS ON A BUDGET???

matty18T

Reaction score
hi there just wondered what coilovers are best to have when i have a budget of around £300 i am new to looking at them and when i look on ebay there are that many different makes its mind boggling lol just want some sound advice if u can help:uhm:

Speak to Damian at DPM who can guide you through the mire of cheap pogo sticks on offer (forum sponsoron here, and very helpful bloke).

You may not get good customer service from eBay if you have issues so keep that in mind.

get a decent set of shocks and lowering springs
cheap coilovers are like second hand condoms....

It depends if you want to improve the cars handling, or just dump it on its ****, scrape around everywhere, and have it drive like a bucket of dung.

If you want to improve the cars handling, then fit some proper springs and shocks as jcb says. My car has an Eibach Pro-kit, with Eibach Pro-system dampers, and it rides better than stock, but handles much better and has a perfect ride height that looks good but doesnt scrape on anything. You could even start by fitting just the springs, then saving up to replace the dampers later.

If you want to dump it on its **** and have it drive like poop, then nail on some £200 coilovers.

But for £300 its going to be hard to get that set up you have for instance...Springs alone are what? £170? (without looking) Shocks are £70+ each?

My FK coilovers ride great, dont bounce much, arent rock solid, handling was hugely improved and were £225.

Yeh, which is why i said save up.

I got lucky, my eibach dampers were £120 for the set of four (clearance stock on ebay!), and the springs were ~£150.

Also different folk have different ideas of what constitutes a comfortable ride, and whats appropriate for their use.

My biggest issue is that cheap coilovers are usually designed to allow folk to slam a car on its ring (because otherwise you'd have baught a £300 -40mm suspension kit instead). If you slam a car, you need extremely stiff springs, because you've limited suspension travel and dont want the suspension bottoming out.

And contrary to popular belief, a stiff car that "handles like its on rails" will often have less actual grip than another car on properly designed suspension, because your suspension needs to deal with real roads which have bumps and potholes and rough bits. Proper suspension will absorb the bumps and keep the wheels touching the road. Stiff suspension will allow the car to skip and bounce over these road features, resulting in a car whose wheels arent actually touching the ground.

It may well be that the FK's are soft enough to give a good ride, but that softness directly means you wont be able to run them low without hitting the bump stops, and hitting the bump stops is even worse than having stiff springs.

I use the AP coilovers and they are accpetable. Handling was a marked improvement and they are not crashy. But I still have to explain to my girlfriend why the ride is so bumpy on the cart tracks our government have the cheek to call roads.

If I had the choice again I would stick with uprated dampers and quality springs

Fk`s are only rated to be 30% greater than standard applications hence why its not harsh on the roads at all. Lower profile tyres gave me a harsher ride than what the coilovers did running low. And its a good job i cut the bumpstops in half lol.

I have FK adjustable coilovers on mine wound about half down so still clears most things and doesn't scrape much and have noticed the handling is improved and the ride is firmer but no where near unbearable, and even at half way down the drop looks respectable. all in all i can't really fault them, well worth a look.

Sounds like the FK's might be worth a look then.

But given Apex, Gmax and Koni all have -40mm kits for ~£300, its a tough call imo.

I recon i'd have the koni's!

I did look at those kits, but for what I wanted I think the coilovers being adjustable swung it for me, Don't get me wrong I love the way a slammed car looks but I won't compromise handling for looks (where possible) besides, if i wanted it really low for a show i could adjust them down further, and then put them back up, once you've lowered it 40mm on those kits it stays low, there's no going back!

haha yeh, but given we're considering £200 ebay coilovers here they're probably better!

My Brother had -60mm Gmax on his nova with stock dampers, and it was bouncy and a bit harsh. But he swapped them for spax coilovers and the car was absolutely worse. It would skip and bounce over the slightest ripple in the road surface as the springs supplied were far too stiff.

Never had an issue with their springs to be fair it was alway the shocks where I've seen a couple of failures and loads showing cracking round the spring platform to shock body join. Scary stuff and even if they've ironed out all their issues that will still sit in the back of my mind :(

whatever you get if they are not truly stainless you better grease the feck out of the threads or they will quickly become non adjustable coilovers.
FK especially

I used to have the cheap coilovers on my a4 avant and wound them down quite a way. Ride was ok even on the rough roads of the isle of man. Replaced them with a koni strt fixed drop kit when we moved over here about 500 miles ago and to be honest im considering going back to a cheap set of coilovers. Car doesnt get used much so i would rather get it sitting right on the wheels which means it need to go lower than the -40 it currently is. Dont ignore the cheap coilovers off just because of the price but also dont expect them to be as good as the top price kits. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Marc

Thanks Warren.

Yeah give me a shout if you need any help and I'm sure we'll be able to get something sorted out for you.

Damian @ DPM Performance
Hi Damian I'm not sure if you can help me but I've emailed you anyway.