Coilovers for the 8V

Update

Seems the supplier was full of sh*te when they said they had these in stock. Just had a message saying 6 to 8 weeks to get stock in from Bilstein. Will never understand why people can't just be up front with you, lost count of the number of times online suppliers have pulled this one. :(

Will hunt elsewhere, but not going to hold my breath.

Reactions: S3Alex and elpaulio
Update

Seems the supplier was full of sh*te when they said they had these in stock. Just had a message saying 6 to 8 weeks to get stock in from Bilstein. Will never understand why people can't just be up front with you, lost count of the number of times online suppliers have pulled this one. :(

This boils my blood!! I hate it when they do that......:asskicking:

Update

Totally understand that.

Been there too,and whilst some issues are outside of a supplier's control,when that happens if they just come clean with the reasons,it's so much better than being fobbed off.

Day off today, so much of it spent trying to track down a set of B16s.

Same story everywhere, these are on back order and it seems stock is all but used up. I certainly could't find any, and believe me I tried. :( :miserable:

New stock expected in 6 to 8 weeks was the consistent message, so it's the waiting game, or go for the KW v2s. Much as I want to upgrade asap, I'm leaning towards the wait. Anyone else looking at other options?

I think its worth the wait.
Haven't heard bad things about the B16 yet.

One of the very experienced Golf R cracks over at the german forum switched back to the B16 from a kw clubsport.
He said they're better for everyday use and occasional track day usage.
The other guy used the B16 in his 335d which he drove on the Nordschleife a lot.
He also recommended the B16.

Reactions: Steph67
I'm defo waiting for this bit of kit think it will transform the way the car will handle.
Eight weeks the only downer give me time to save up.....

Big drive today on the B roads, I can't wait to get a set of billies! Keep us informed @Steph67 !

Sorry, im a bit late to the convo, the reviews of the bounciness and "pogostick" behaviour of the oem suspension turned out to be on point.
I order a set of Bilstein B14 coilovers (non damping adjustable), got a great deal (800 Euros shipped) on them. Dunno why, but people dont know that this is available for the S3.
I ordered these a month and a half ago and should recieve them around the first week of May.
Ive always ran adjustable coils, but i can count the number of times ive adjusted damping on one hand, I figured this time round ill trust bilstein on damping and just mess with the height.
Really looking forward to these, as the cars handling has left alot to be desired.

Reactions: veeeight
as the cars handling has left alot to be desired.

I was one of the first to complain about this on the forum, as was poo-poo'd straightaway as being "fussy" and imagining things ;)

Reactions: S3Alex and ndk83
I was one of the first to complain about this on the forum, as was poo-poo'd straightaway as being "fussy" and imagining things ;)
Nah you were spot on. But im sure you could understand their discontent for raining in on their parade.

However as someone who likes to researched the crap out of the car, your posts really brought it down to earth. Otherwise this car seemed like the most fantastic car ever made. The S3 is a great car, but not withours its faults.

Reactions: rcnacura and veeeight
Sorry, im a bit late to the convo, the reviews of the bounciness and "pogostick" behaviour of the oem suspension turned out to be on point.
I order a set of Bilstein B14 coilovers (non damping adjustable), got a great deal (800 Euros shipped) on them. Dunno why, but people dont know that this is available for the S3.
I ordered these a month and a half ago and should recieve them around the first week of May.
Ive always ran adjustable coils, but i can count the number of times ive adjusted damping on one hand, I figured this time round ill trust bilstein on damping and just mess with the height.
Really looking forward to these, as the cars handling has left alot to be desired.

I think I'm going to wait until the 16s are back in stock. I looked at the 14s, but I'm just a little nervous in case I don't like them and there's no adjustment. It's looking like June before I can get a set, so I'm keen to hear how you get on with the 14s. Looks like you'll be the first to try the Bilsteins, I'm hoping that they do the job.

Let us know what you think once you get them fitted. :)

Any updates on the B14s......

Any updates on the B14s......
They arrive on Sunday, but do not think i will have time to get them installed until the following week. Will update this thread as soon as i do tho.

Reactions: Fiddie
Got a message this afternoon from Germany saying that the B16s are back in stock, so have ordered another set. Fingers crossed they don't let me down this time.

Looking forward to getting rid of the bounce. :p

Delivery expected after May 12th, will look to get them fitted soonest and report back.:)

Reactions: Fiddie and veeeight
Got a message this afternoon from Germany saying that the B16s are back in stock, so have ordered another set. Fingers crossed they don't let me down this time.

Looking forward to getting rid of the bounce. :p

Delivery expected after May 12th, will look to get them fitted soonest and report back.:)

So Steph whats the cost?

So Steph whats the cost?

£1,190, and have been quoted £200 to fit, including alignment afterwards, so a pricey mod, but hoping it'll be worth it. Need to stop spending now, when I think of what I could have bought if I'd just added what I've spent to date on mods to the new car budget..... :D

Reactions: Jassyo06 and AndyB-S3
£1,190, and have been quoted £200 to fit, including alignment afterwards, so a pricey mod, but hoping it'll be worth it. Need to stop spending now, when I think of what I could have bought if I'd just added what I've spent to date on mods to the new car budget..... :D

Thats very reasonable,l thought it would be in the region of the £2k+......l nearly bounced off into a burn the other day travelling on a Back road from Dollar........shocking

Thats very reasonable,l thought it would be in the region of the £2k+......l nearly bounced off into a burn the other day travelling on a Back road from Dollar........shocking

I was quoted £1,557 + £200 fitting if UK supplied, so taking advantage of the weaker €.

I won't be complaining about the cost if they're as good as I hope. ;)

Reactions: AndyB-S3 and Jassyo06
l nearly bounced off into a burn the other day travelling on a Back road from Dollar........shocking

Yes, there have been several moments when I've though that the car was going to pitch me into the hedge / armco / ditch and had to back off to G-Wiz speeds ;)

Well I promised myself (&the Mrs) that I wouldn't upgrade....however seeing this thread and the possibilities of a faster commute to work then I may make an exception. lol.

Plenty of reviews and or vids etc to Keep us updated @Steph67 please.:)

Have now got confirmation of dispatch and a tracking number, delivery expected next Friday.

So, PSS10 settings?......

I'm a novice with adjustables, so am thinking that I'll start with a mid range setting. Advice I've had to date is that with the weight up front it'd be worth starting with the front 1 setting stiffer than the rear, but its 'pub' advice rather anything reliable. Will doubtless need much trial and error, which I'm quite looking forward to, but any input from anyone that has experience with this type of unit, particularly regarding any difference (or not) between front and rear settings, would be greatly appreciated. :)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and AndyB-S3
Would be interesting to know where B14s sit in the scale. ..Getting inpatient for a set of B16s l want my car lowered before "lnters".

Do you get any scraping with the H&R's @Steph67 ?

No, none at all. I like them, nice height, feel great on the (flat) corners and the ride's far from terrible, even on 19s. I'm just looking for something a bit 'more' so I can press on with confidence without the now reflex action of backing off the loud pedal every time I see the road level changing.... ;)

@Steph67
Do you have magnetic ride mate?

No mag ride, just the standard dampers.

Reactions: terapati and Vins
OK, they're here, now I just need to find a day to get them fitted :D:D:D

IMG 0862

IMG 0860

Reactions: Jassyo06, Fiddie, Gorillajebus and 3 others
Good stuff. Can't believe u got urs before i got mine. Get them bad boys installed and report back. I'm interested to know which settings ur gonna go with, as well as the ride height.

I think I'm gonna stick with the same 15mm drop I'm running just now.

Haven't had any feedback on suggested settings, but have done a fair bit of research on B16s on other models, so I think I'll just start about the middle and go up / down and see what works best for me. Don't want to prejudge, but I'm expecting to be just on the soft side of the middle setting for every day use.

Nice!! I'm also interested in how you get on with these. :icon thumright:

Can't wait for your feedback when you get them installed. Waiting to hear back from a company to purchase the B16 Ride Control versions with the IRC module. Going to be roughly $2800 for it all.

Oh mama! I don't think I can wait until my new car comes!! Roll on July. Bet you're uber excited @Steph67

Yup, getting them fitted next Thursday at Star Performance in Kirkaldy, should be an interesting drive home :D

Reactions: naughts4187, ndk83, RYuill and 1 other person
Damn, i didnt realise what a pain it must be to get parts installed if there is no shops around your area.

But the good news is Im back in the race lol, mine arrive into the port on the 15th (vessel was delayed) and they still need to clear customs. Im traveling friday, so im shooting to get them installed latest Wed/Thursday.

:rockwoot::rockwoot:

Coilovers are now fitted, 155 miles done over a couple of settings, and all very positive so far. A whole new level of confidence, what I'm finding hardest is avoiding the reflex urge to back off on corners and actually keep my foot in for a change.

Tried one corner that's caught me out before, in pretty hard, suspension loaded up, power on past the apex, hit the nasty bump, and it kept the line precisely. No fuss, no drama, no floating.

Don't want to get too excited until I've been through the settings more and given it a proper balls out run across country, but balance seems better, turn in seems sharper and (I accept that I may just be imagining it 'cos it's so much more confidence instilling) there seems to be more 'feel' all round; it just feels more planted, I know where the front end is and the times the front did wash wide I knew it was coming, it was expected and a quick ease off on the loud pedal tightened the line nicely.

I'm pretty close to stock height while I've been playing with the settings, I'm now going to go another 10mm lower and 1 setting stiffer (Mrs...).

I'll review in more detail after another few days of testing, but today was the first time in the near 5 months I've had this car that I got out with a big grin on my face, which has got to be a good sign. :playful:

Reactions: PanamaS3, terapati, ndk83 and 4 others