Coil Packs - VW hold hands up - Audi heads in sand

Colin,

Will this concern S3's that have just driven off
the production line or have they "sorted it out" since the
problem was brought to light. I'm interested as my S3 is
being built this week.

Cheers

Jack.

Out of interest, who makes these dodgy coil packs? Is is VAG etc's fault or a manufacturer like Bosche or such who have let them down?

[ QUOTE ]
khufu said:
Out of interest, who makes these dodgy coil packs? Is is VAG etc's fault or a manufacturer like Bosche or such who have let them down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very much doubt it's a VAG made part, and Bosch or someone like that are probably the supplier, but I also doubt that they can change the part without prior approval by VAG, and probably the change was done by VAG design and just implemented by the supplier.

The above is just speaking from my experience working with large suppliers, and changes to a design for the worse ........but Sh#t happens! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was told its a problem in the factory and the way they are installed ".. get whacked in with a hammer". Dunno how true it is...

One of my UK dealer contacts actually said "don't mention that dirty word" when I spoke to him about coil packs a month or so ago. My view is Audi UK are really trying to play this down.

Yeah that's my impression too - the ostrich approach!

And quietly replace them as they fail. I am totally amazed this hasn't been bigger news really!?!

Now that's why we pay a premium for better service ... NOT

I just had a thought actually, if a coil pack goes and you limp it to the dealer as instructed are you not going to kill the CAT due to the unburnt fuel saturating it?

Mmm,

Jon.

Jon,

You're right in theory but I drove (limped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) 20 miles to my dealer when my coilpack gave up the ghost and I assume my CAT is still okay. Thing is though is it okay? I wonder if the dealer actually checks the ****** thing even though they know that you have driven some distance on 3 cylinders. My guess is not/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif.

Christian

To be honest i've only owned my audi for about six months and i'm already beginning to think that the level of service is nothing close to what i'd expected, so if you take your car to the dealership just expect them to fix what you tell them is broken rather the knock on effects of it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=1,2,4,3&Board=a3s3&Number=10790&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Please take a look at this post? Some interesting stuff I have found out? Cant get the link to work? but below is pasted from the front page?

Ignition Coil Packs - shagga 45 3 04/03/03 08:54 PM