Coil pack yet AGAIN!

S3-Andy

Reaction score
Well the S3 has developed a miss fire under load again, which i am presuming is a coil pack, if i am right this wll be the 3rd time this year!
any ideas if this result of something else, something spiking, poor plugs? anything else??

How big is your Spark Pluggap...? Bigger gap bigger job for the coilpak...

The fundamental design of this new generation of spark plugs retains the proven features used in Denso's OE products and combines a revolutionary Iridium alloy with laser welding technology that allows Denso to harness the power of Iridium. Using Iridium, which is six times harder and eight times stronger than platinum, the tip can be shrunk to only 0.4mm. This means the voltage requirements are decreased while firing performance is greatly improved.

http://www.ttstuff.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DEN-IK22-4&Category_Code=T1PEN

never checked them mate, just got me thinking that having to replace 3 coil packs in short space of time dont seem right, first time i replaced all 4, second i just replaced the damaged one

Product Code: DEN-IK22-4
Shipping Weight: 1.00 pounds

Price: $49.99

never checked them mate, just got me thinking that having to replace 3 coil packs in short space of time dont seem right, first time i replaced all 4, second i just replaced the damaged one

Andy, did you get original coil packs and not the cheap copies from GSF? They sell some bad copies and you have to be careful to specify the original parts.

What temp is your car running at? I had the same problem when my thermostat was stuck open, it was never getting up to 90degrees c, mine actually broke the ceramic on one of the plugs, it used to missfire alot in the morning

i had same issues when my timing sensor went too...changed a pack and few days later same pack registered on vagcom...left the pack and changed the timing sensor.... job done

Dont know what engine you have, but the newer type coil packs used on the bam engine are prone to failure, The hitachi coil packs (part no 06B905115, mounting screws N10117403 x8) used on the older apy engine are bullet proof and a full set will only cost around £100.
especially on a remaped engine the coil packs break down due to the extra heat. I had this problem before, switched to a full set of hitachi coil packs and they never missed a beat.

Check your plugs.

a friend of mine had his S3 serviced and 2 days later misfire... Coil Pack had to be replaced. Reason - Spark plugs were lose..!

cheers for all the posts guys, i dont know where the coil packs came from the previous owner gave them to me with the car, he bought them when he had the revo map done, just in case they failed,
any way i went out last night to see if i could cure it with a couple of spares i have off the previous times i have replaced them, and to my amazement the packs had raised up and come loose and cyilinders 1&3, has anyone experience this before? its got me puzzled as they are such a good tight fit.

I saw someones engine bay recently (forgot who?) and they had a similar problem but by their coilpacks is tapped holes so he was going to make brackets and bolt them to hold them down.