Coil overs for my PFL S3

ADazedRubber

Reaction score
Good Evening,

I’m wondering if any of you can shed light on some suspension solutions for me please.

I currently have 99000 miles on my S3 and I have the Audi mag ride suspension, I know they will give up the goose at some point and don’t want to spend £400 per shock to get the replaced, I’d rather get a nice set of coil overs for all four corners and be done for however many more years.

I’m looking for something that’ll give me a good driveable ride height but still gives me that good stance I will be putting spacers on when this happens cus that spacered clean ride height look is just stunning. I want them to provide the same if not better performance than what I have now and I would imagine the ride quality would probably be better anyhow.

The issue I’m having is that there’s not much out there about what’s good for what and what set of shocks are good what type of driving you do, I will never track the car but give me a good B road and I’ll bash that B road all day long.

Can anyone shed some light on some suggestions as to what I’m after and potentially make some recommendations for me?

Someone on here mentioned Koni Active shocks recently. Apparently they transformed the driving experience for the better.
Might be worth a look ?

What's your budget? You'll need a delete kit for the mag ride unless you get a kit that incorporates it but then the price rockets.

Damian @ DPM Performance
Probably about £1500, that doesn’t include the delete kit I could probably make my own for a fraction of the price I do electrical stuff for a job

I’ve been looking at st xta but don’t know much about about them and I’ve obviously considered builstein b14 cus I probably don’t need rebound adjustment I imagine the b14 kit is pretty respectable for comfort/performance ratio.

Someone on here mentioned Koni Active shocks recently. Apparently they transformed the driving experience for the better.
Might be worth a look ?
I have looked at them, I am interested. as seen in my other reply I’ve Got a couple in mind, like the st xta I haven’t heard too much about them.

Probably about £1500, that doesn’t include the delete kit I could probably make my own for a fraction of the price I do electrical stuff for a job

I’ve been looking at st xta but don’t know much about about them and I’ve obviously considered builstein b14 cus I probably don’t need rebound adjustment I imagine the b14 kit is pretty respectable for comfort/performance ratio.

If you're wanting comfort then I wouldn't say the Bilstein kit is the best option, this is very much a handling orientated kit so firm on the road especially for everyday road use.
If the car is mainly used for the road then something like the ST X or KW V1 kits are both excellent options.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Reactions: Sandra
If you're wanting comfort then I wouldn't say the Bilstein kit is the best option, this is very much a handling orientated kit so firm on the road especially for everyday road use.
If the car is mainly used for the road then something like the ST X or KW V1 kits are both excellent options.

Damian @ DPM Performance
the car will never be tracked, it is a b road basher and i think its great for that, its stage one mapped so fast enough, it is a daily so comfort perfomrnace ratio needs to be about right will either of those options give better handling characteristics than standard? and are there any other supporting handling mods i could do to aid that?

Anti roll bars would also be a worth while upgrade.

Damian @ DPM Performance
Happy days I might look into them, interestingly I think the time may have come, I’ve had a suspension system fault light come on two weekends in a row now, so I think it’s time to really look into the market and see what’s out there I’m heavily considering kwv1 with the delete kit based on your opinion and me having expressed my needs.

Do you know at all if the kwv1 kit is less crashy than the mag ride system? cus the ride is pretty crashy to the point where my partner has said she’s noticed it’s particularly bumpy

Happy days I might look into them, interestingly I think the time may have come, I’ve had a suspension system fault light come on two weekends in a row now, so I think it’s time to really look into the market and see what’s out there I’m heavily considering kwv1 with the delete kit based on your opinion and me having expressed my needs.

Do you know at all if the kwv1 kit is less crashy than the mag ride system? cus the ride is pretty crashy to the point where my partner has said she’s noticed it’s particularly bumpy

It'll depend how low you're looking to go but it'll definitely give you a more refined ride that's for sure!

Damian @ DPM Performance

It'll depend how low you're looking to go but it'll definitely give you a more refined ride that's for sure!

Damian @ DPM Performance
I’m not really planning on lowering it too much if anything I think the rear will probably raise slightly from the position it’s in at the moment as the rears sit quite low and are considerably lower than the front. And the front will probably be just the 5mil.