Coding to turn on rear lights with front daytime running lights

TreborA4

Reaction score
I have read about this somewhere on the forum a while ago but despite searching I can't find the thread.

I took my car, new in January this year, A4 S-Line Avant, to my local dealer this week to get them to turn the rear lights on at the same time as the front LED DRLs. They could not code it to get this to work.

What is the code for this, please?

I will then go back to dealer with this information.

I think just having front LEDs as DRLs was a mistake by Audi.

BMWs and Volvos rightly have both front and rear lights on, IMHO.

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks.

I would be interested in this as well, and i totally agree that if the front LED's are on then the back should be on to. If the sun is low and bright and i know i am driving just on Auto DRL's i delibratly turn the headlights fully on.

You need to activate the Scandanavian settings for the lights, its very easy to do using a VDS lead. Look up a member in the VDS section and throw them a few beer tokens. I'd do it for you but I think your too far away. if you fancy a drive tho? PM me if interested, I'm in the Midlands

Neil

(A hex can lead is needed on an A4)

Last edited:
Reactions: Spiki_X
Would have thought it was the same as the S4, turn on side lights and you have front DRL's and rear lights.
What do you have on the S Line when you turn sidelights on ?

The LED's act as side lights when in the 'sidelight position' on the light switch but they are not as bright as the DRL's. You can override this with VDS (and alter light intensity of the LED's) but you loose the auto dimming function when you indicate.

Trev,
Turning on the side lights also puts the rear lights on but the front LEDs go dimmer (sidelight mode rather than DRL mode). I want to have the rear lights coming on automatically as well as the front DRLs (bright) at the same time.

Trebor

Trev,
Turning on the side lights also puts the rear lights on but the front LEDs go dimmer (sidelight mode rather than DRL mode). I want to have the rear lights coming on automatically as well as the front DRLs (bright) at the same time.

Trebor
Must admit I had not noticed the dimming down function, is it a big deal after all if the light is poor surely it's time to have the lot on.

Trev,

Trebor

I did it when I got my car. It's very quick and easy if you have VCDS.

I thought this was listed in VCDS:

Tailights active as DRL's
[09 – Cent. Elect.]
[Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 2: Bit 7 - (1 = active)

LEDs remain at full brightness with parking lights
[09 – Cent. Elect.]
[Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 3: Bit 2 - (1 = active)

i couldn't find this in byte 2? on my audi s3 2010

You can do it on Carista for a fraction on the cost a dealer would charge you just a thought

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Meemo
ditto on @Dsport , i see this option in Carista. If you are local to Kingston or Southampton, happy to switch it on with carista at any local meets.

Reactions: Dsport
Oh, something I can use Carista for on my S4, now that I've updated it to V3 I should really have another look to see if it accurately reflects which options are set in my car, V2 just turned up a lot of rubbish last and only time I used it with S4.

You can do it on Carista for a fraction on the cost a dealer would charge you just a thought
Yup did the rear lights as DRL's on my S4 via Carista
No dimming of front DRL's. The front DRL's still dim when you use the indicators altho' this can be changed via Carista

Reactions: Dsport
how do you do it in VCDS? I have VCDS but couldn't find out how to do it?

Thanks to pns2007 for the hint.

Here is how you do it, for those who get lost in the menus.

Attachments

• 2018-11-05_16-11-59.jpg
    2018-11-05_16-11-59.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 1,473