Coding Multi-function steering wheel 2004 4F saloon Bose

bentwenty

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2004 4F saloon with MMI high, DIS, Cruise control and tip-tronic.
I wanted the buttons on a MFSW, so I went and bought a steering wheel identical to my old one but with buttons. My old one was 4f0 419 091 g skr, the new one is 4f0 419 091 j 1kt.
I have fitted it, looks lovely and my air bag went straight in.
I went into the steering wheel module in VCDS, and changed the relevant bit for the MFSW, the lights then came on on the wheel.
Now the horn works, the tip-tronic buttons work, but no multi function buttons. When I go to advanced measure blocks to see if they are working, all the buttons say error - not installed.
What have I missed?
Do i need a new steering wheel control module?
Ben

You may need a new slip ring & steering wheel control module.

Reactions: bentwenty
You may need a new slip ring & steering wheel control module.
I suspected that might be the case. Any idea how I would find out what part numbers are compatible with my requirements? That way I can check mine, and perhaps order the right one.
Is there any other coding I might have missed? For example in the navigation section?

Not sure to be fair, I never retrofitted mfsw on a C6 but coding on the control head would have no affect on the measuring blocks of the SCSM. on the A3/A4 there was a low line version & high line version of the SCSM & slip ring but not sure on the A6. Have a search on the A4 forum about MFSW retrofit, it will give you idea's of what coould be wrong & show the pinout of the slip ring as you can see if there are missing pins

Not sure to be fair, I never retrofitted mfsw on a C6 but coding on the control head would have no affect on the measuring blocks of the SCSM. on the A3/A4 there was a low line version & high line version of the SCSM & slip ring but not sure on the A6. Have a search on the A4 forum about MFSW retrofit, it will give you idea's of what coould be wrong & show the pinout of the slip ring as you can see if there are missing pins
I will have a good trawl of the forum and see what I can come up with. That's a good point about the coding!
Sounds like I may need to take the wheel off and check pins and part numbers.

Did your new wheel come with the little wiring loom in the wheel? (The one you connect the airbag too)

This is how the new wheel came
f26f565284d95ebebc061b469795773a.jpg

I re-used my airbag as it was the same style, so I also re-used my old airbag wiring loom (the one with the yellow plug that coin extra to the steering wheel and the slip ring.

@bentwenty

I'll check a couple of things on mine this afternoon, but generally, if a car has cruise control it will usually have the supporting hard ware for the MF and tiptronic

The other thing I am thinking is that possibly the MF buttons are faulty ?!!
Where did you buy it from ?

@bentwenty

I'll check a couple of things on mine this afternoon, but generally, if a car has cruise control it will usually have the supporting hard ware for the MF and tiptronic

The other thing I am thinking is that possibly the MF buttons are faulty ?!!
Where did you buy it from ?
Yeah that was my understanding, especially as the factory fitted wheel on my car was the sport wheel with tip-tronic buttons.
I bought the wheel second hand on eBay, but I'd be surprised if all the buttons where faulty, as they light up and the tip-tronic buttons work fine. Seems very unlikely.
I will beep the buttons out with my multi-meter later though to be sure.

If you have cruise and tip tronic then I'm sure youd have the high module but scan it and post up the part number of the module so we can check
And seeing as everything else works plus the buttons are lighting up then you must be close

Double check coding

Double check all the coding

If you have cruise and tip tronic then you have the high module
And seeing as everything else works plus the buttons are lighting up then you must be close

Double check coding

Double check all the coding
I only did the steering wheel control module, I think it was bit 4 that it changed from 2 (for sport steering wheel) to 3 (for multifunctional steering wheel).
Are there other coding changes I need to make?
I tried the navigation module, but I couldn't change anything as I don't have the security access code :(

Security access code isn't required to code a rns-e mate

Can you post up which version of steering module you have so we can be 100% on that before we look further into it

Security access code isn't required to code a rns-e mate

Can you post up which version of steering module you have so we can be 100% on that before we look further into it
It's an A6 4F, so no RNS-E, it's got MMI high. It wouldn't let me in to the Navigation module without the security code.
I'll scan the control module in a few minutes to the the part no. :)

Your module is high so it's correct for mfsw mate

Not done a a6 mate so can't advise 100% but I'd assume the regular things like nav and phone etc would need coding

Ross tech shows this mate

0xx?xxx: Steering Wheel
0 = Standard Steering Wheel
1 = Sport Steering Wheel
2 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel

Ross tech shows this mate

0xx?xxx: Steering Wheel
0 = Standard Steering Wheel
1 = Sport Steering Wheel
2 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel
Yep, that's what I did, mine was 1, changed it to 2 (I think I said 2 and 3 earlier lol). The module accepted the coding, and that turned on the backlighting for the buttons. But they don't work :/

In 07 control head
Adaption ch 001

+04096 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel installed

4f714be619c370a4cc1465f798699608.jpg

All working! Old value in 07 - control head was 266, saved 4362 to it and then did an MMi restart. All buttons work now :)
Thanks all for your help, especially 1wheelonly for the solution!
Ben