1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Code in Varta Battery with no BEM Code

Meemo Jan 9, 2020

1. Meemo

Meemo Well-Known Member Supercharged Audi S5 Black Edition

Hello,
    I have recently bought a replacement Varta F21 AGM battery for my 2015 S5.
    It was the recommended OE direct replacement by Varta, and the AH etc was pretty close to the original but not the same...
    Problem though is the bar code sticker does not have the traditional Serial number & part number on it which I need to code it into VCDS Battery Management.

Any one else coded in a battery without the BEM by just updating the battery specs alone? (80ah, 800cold crank etc), what did you do with the old serial and part number input?

New battery (12v, 80AH, 800SAE)
    [​IMG]

Old batter BEM code sticker I was expecting (12v, 75ah, 800SAE)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Meemo

Tempted to try
    080 VAO 4F2191023K
    First bit being the AH, second the manufacturer code and the serial being just the 10 last digits on the sticker.

4. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

They expect you to buy from Audi this the serial & part number wouldn't be an issue, but if course Audi charge too much for the same or lesser battery you can buy from others.

I'm surprised you need a new battery already.

Did you ask Varta to advise which data is correct to use, I'd give them a call, they're usually very good on the tech line.

Meemo likes this.
  5. Meemo

Thank you @NHN , I have emailed them a few times and the retailer I got it from who is trying their best to get an answer from Varta, but nothing back from Varta yet to either of us.

extra security is installed on the car plus dash cams with parking mode etc, all of which drain it. And it isn't used every day so tends to sit a week or 2, battery has inevitably been over exercised as a result.
    I do have a solar battery maintainer now that connects to the ODB, but the battery is dropping to 11v soon as it is switched off even after a 150mile trip, then 10v when left for a few days, so does seem a little sad and a bit late with the maintainer, will use the maintainer with the new battery though to keep it topped up.

If I do not get something from Varta support I will try the above code and just update the specs in VCDS. I have seen others claim theirs auto detected the new battery but would rather not risk it and kill the battery before its time.... again.

Bit of extra bad luck, DPD's 5 a side team played football with the battery in transit and it is cracked on the top corner/ beat up on other edges, but battery mega store said it is still safe to use.

6. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Ring Varta, don't email, that's what I did.

If it stands for week or 2, just use a ctek, great units & they've fixed batteries for me that appeared dead.

7. Dadar

Dadar Member

If it helps I changed my battery last year with a Varta AGM and all I changed was 1 number using VCDS.
    Choose any number in your existing serial number and change it for a different one,save and exit.
    I have had no issues since doing this and have all battery monitoring functions working correctly

8. Meemo

that's fab to hear @Dadar,
    Did you update the AH and Crank rating as well or was your battery identically specked to the old one?
    I have still not done mine which is pretty bad of me with the current one being less than 50% charged as soon as the car is switched off, despite getting 3 hour drive :S

9. Dadar

Dadar Member

My new battery was the exact spec of the old one and by changing 1 number in the serial the car sees it as a replacement and manages it accordingly.

10. Meemo

no sooner than I see your reply, Varta have also replied with the same advice :)
    Hopefully mine is the battery management version where the specs are updated in a separate drop down to the serial number so that I can update the specs, as this is different from the OE.

"
    Dear Ms ***,

The BEM code will be 8KO915105F, the serial number should be taken from the original battery but change the last digit.

Best regards,

"