Cobra tracker

Bitzieee

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help here.

I'm set on either a cobra tracker 6, or 5. But struggling to find anywhere that looks 'competent' to be trusted with fitting something thats so important.

On the cobra website it lists a few places nearby but they're all just 'car audio' places and no where seems reputable.

So my question is, does anyone recommend somewhere to have it done in the north west England, or has anyone had one fitted around here?

Thanks

Audi fitted mine, you then have a 3- year parts warranty with Audi.

Hold onto your seat for the price; £1045 with a 12 month subscription.

My Audi dealer wont fit one, I asked when ordering the vehicle and again after that.

Where I work we fit a basic cobra tracker for £380 so that does sound extortionate

My Audi dealer wont fit one, I asked when ordering the vehicle and again after that.

Where I work we fit a basic cobra tracker for £380 so that does sound extortionate

Yes Audi will also fit a basic one for £600, but you have to track it yourself whereas the 5 has the driver detection.

By going to Audi you know you get good workmanship and a 3 year parts warranty with AUDI, any issues take it back to them.

Cardiff Audi fitted mine, they fit them all the time.

Yes Audi will also fit a basic one for £600, but you have to track it yourself whereas the 5 has the driver detection.

By going to Audi you know you get good workmanship and a 3 year parts warranty with AUDI, any issues take it back to them.

Cardiff Audi fitted mine, they fit them all the time.

I've done a little digging at work now my customers are all gone. We can fit a Cobra tracker 6, which is properly tracked and doesn't require the same license as the 5. So I've ordered one of those at cost price which I'm very happy with. 2 Years warranty with Volkswagen of course

I've done a little digging at work now my customers are all gone. We can fit a Cobra tracker 6, which is properly tracked and doesn't require the same license as the 5. So I've ordered one of those at cost price which I'm very happy with. 2 Years warranty with Volkswagen of course

I'm confused now, Cat 6 is higher rated than 5? But it offers less protection? Headshot haha.

I'm confused now, Cat 6 is higher rated than 5? But it offers less protection? Headshot haha.

Headshot? That explains my headache thismorning. Or maybe it was the BBQ last night, lack of sleep and excess of alcohol?

Either way, this is out of my expertise, I had a feeling the 5 is a 'cat 5' and is higher rated by insurance companies. And the 'cat 6' was lower rated although a higher number. The cat 6 is an advanced tracker with live tracking police support insurance approved all the usual stuff. But the 'cat 5' included an immobiliser if vehicle started without a unique card on you at the time? And is all wired into the electrics therefore requires a higher license?

Again not my expertise but that's what I gathered from the website, and too lazy to go back and make sure I'm right. Feel free to headshot me some more

Tracker types:

Cat 7 -radio beacon in vehicle. Can be detected by a nearby police officer equipped with a detection unit once activated.

Cat 6 - GPS tracker in car with 3G data uplink. Vehicle location transmitted in real time to a control centre once silent alarm triggered (car moved with engine off or battery disconnected) or manually activated by the control centre.

Car 5 - as cat 6 + must be disarmed with a secondary key every time the car is started otherwise it goes into silent alarm mode + remote controlled engine kill switch.

Tracker types:

Cat 7 -radio beacon in vehicle. Can be detected by a nearby police officer equipped with a detection unit once activated.

Cat 6 - GPS tracker in car with 3G data uplink. Vehicle location transmitted in real time to a control centre once silent alarm triggered (car moved with engine off or battery disconnected) or manually activated by the control centre.

Car 5 - as cat 6 + must be disarmed with a secondary key every time the car is started otherwise it goes into silent alarm mode + remote controlled engine kill switch.

I think this means I'm not going to be shot in the head again, result!

Headshot? That explains my headache thismorning. Or maybe it was the BBQ last night, lack of sleep and excess of alcohol?

Either way, this is out of my expertise, I had a feeling the 5 is a 'cat 5' and is higher rated by insurance companies. And the 'cat 6' was lower rated although a higher number. The cat 6 is an advanced tracker with live tracking police support insurance approved all the usual stuff. But the 'cat 5' included an immobiliser if vehicle started without a unique card on you at the time? And is all wired into the electrics therefore requires a higher license?

Again not my expertise but that's what I gathered from the website, and too lazy to go back and make sure I'm right. Feel free to headshot me some more

The Cat 5 doesn't have an instantly active immobiliser, it will only be immobilised once it has been recognised as stolen and then stopped again.

I read online yesterday that the "Cat 6 is the highest accredited tracking method by insurance companies to date".

The Cat 5 doesn't have an instantly active immobiliser, it will only be immobilised once it has been recognised as stolen and then stopped again.

I read online yesterday that the "Cat 6 is the highest accredited tracking method by insurance companies to date".

That contradicts the above message :)

Who's right? :eek:

The cat 5 immobiliser isn't activated while driving. The idea is that once the control centre confirm theft with the owner, the unit will not allow the vehicle to start.

Insurance companies don't certify trackers. Thatcham do the certification to the various standards (5, 6 and the largely obsolete 7).

Insurers may insist on a particular Thatcham category or they may not. This is up to the individual underwriter. For example, LV only ask for a working tracker and do not insist on any Thatcham category (at least for S3s).

Other insurers may insist on a cat 6 or cat 5 depending on circumstances. As a rough rule if thumb, most insurers would accept a cat 6 for vehicles worth less than £90k. Above £90k many will insist on cat 5.

In general, you should speak to your intended insurer to find out their underwriting requirements prior to purchasing a system.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Wondering if anyone can help here.

I'm set on either a cobra tracker 6, or 5. But struggling to find anywhere that looks 'competent' to be trusted with fitting something thats so important.

On the cobra website it lists a few places nearby but they're all just 'car audio' places and no where seems reputable.

So my question is, does anyone recommend somewhere to have it done in the north west England, or has anyone had one fitted around here?

Thanks
Bit late now, but Daz on here had an Autowatch ghost fitted by these guys https://www.pl-autotek.com/ who are based in St Helens. He said they have a great reputation.

Audi reading can do the vodafone cat 5 and cat 6 (which is cobra as they bought them) but its £495 and £999 respectively with 1 years sub, you can prepay the sub to 3 years (extra £235) or 5 years (extra £336) on the cat 6 and 3 years on the cat 5 (extra £545). Not cheap but i guess it saves messing about and they fit it. May do my rs3, but only if they can discount it

Bit late now, but Daz on here had an Autowatch ghost fitted by these guys https://www.pl-autotek.com/ who are based in St Helens. He said they have a great reputation.
issue with the ghost is they arent insurance approved yet, the crooks may come back and batter the code out of you, no android app, still not clear about the service mode - apparently can only drive for 2-3 mins at 30 mph - wtf! not sure if thats true - tempting though

Last edited:
issue with the ghost is they arent insurance approved yet, the crooks may come back and batter the code out of you, no android app, still not clear about the service mode - apparently can only drive for 2-3 mins at 30 mph - wtf! not sure if thats true - tempting though
Just change the code when you take it for a service, then change it back again.
You don't need the app, that just saves you entering the code each time you get in the car.

That's what I read off when I made my statement. So the Vodafone protect 6 is second highest, and 5 is the highest?

Sorry its 1st of September my head is everywhere

Cat 5 is higher spec to cat 6 - the vodafone ones; the cat 5 contains everything cat 6 has plus:
auto driver recognition with a card
ignition lock activated by vodafone with police authorisaton

i will upload the info sheet from audi for the vodafone ones a bit later

Just change the code when you take it for a service, then change it back again.
You don't need the app, that just saves you entering the code each time you get in the car.
how do you change it

After some research and speaking to some experts, I think vodafone protect/cobra cat 6 or meta trak cat 6 PLUS ghost together are the best option rather than the Vodafone or meta trak cat 5 which seems mostly pointless, auto recognition seems convenient but will make it easier for thieves and the engine kill will never happen.only issue is I'm sure audi will put them in the same place. Plus cat 5 trackers are crazy money for not much more benefit. According to my local car security expert the ghost has not been defeated. The only way it can be defeated is if it's badly installed

Last edited:
Issue either trackers trackers is they use radio so can be found by thieves fairly easily as they used radio whether it be vhf, GPS, mobile

After some research and speaking to some experts, I think vodafone protect/cobra cat 6 or meta trak cat 6 PLUS ghost together are the best option rather than the Vodafone or meta trak cat 5 which seems mostly pointless, auto recognition seems convenient but will make it easier for thieves and the engine kill will never happen.only issue is I'm sure audi will put them in the same place. Plus cat 5 trackers are crazy money for not much more benefit. According to my local car security expert the ghost has not been defeated. The only way it can be defeated is if it's badly installed

The only thing that's putting me off is it hasn't got the ability to tell you when the car is stolen? If for example I am away from the house and the car is here (rare) and it gets stolen I may not find out for days!

The only thing that's putting me off is it hasn't got the ability to tell you when the car is stolen? If for example I am away from the house and the car is here (rare) and it gets stolen I may not find out for days!
You mean the ghost. It's an immobiliser, that's why adding the cat 6 tracker is best as both provide the ultimate security. The ghost was about 600 2 years ago, now it's 400

You mean the ghost. It's an immobiliser, that's why adding the cat 6 tracker is best as both provide the ultimate security. The ghost was about 600 2 years ago, now it's 400

I meant the Cat 6 tracker, sorry. The Cat 5 will trigger and you will find out when it's gone, but that system is expensive (I paid £1045 for the S3). The Cat 6 system relies on you knowing the car is stolen, which is no good if you are abroad for a week.