Cobra Flush Parking Sensors, Footwell Lights and HHA

Jameze

James
Reaction score
Firstly, massive thanks again to Jonny (Jb0o) for some more outstanding work. It's always worth the 140 mile round trip to visit him!

I traveled up to see him on 22nd December for a last minute mod or 2 before Christmas.

He cracked on with removing the bumper and getting the sensors installed - it's a shame I didn't get any "work in progress" pictures. The result:

yKegr.jpg

QYQrn.jpg

Ft0Kk.jpg

ZBuvj.jpg

T9GeG.jpg

Also - a video to demonstrate the 'beeps'. They're a tad inconsistent at parts as I hesitated / slowed down so it wasn't a smooth reverse but you get the idea :) the initial beep is when you slip it into reverse to let you know it's working...

And before I forget - thanks to Robin (RobinA3) for the front and rear footwell looms, and Trups (t8ups) for the LED lights to match. I installed these prior to traveling up to see Jonny so that he could code them as I don't have VCDS - to my surprise they actually worked (I didn't have that much confidence in my work!).

Here they are on with the doors open...

cu03F.jpg

gCLqR.jpg

And with the headlights or sidelights on (brightness 10%)...

SF9S3.jpg

They can be programmed in DIS to be anywhere from 0%-100%.

Jonny also enabled Hill Hold Assist which I'm actually finding incredibly useful. For the sake of ticking a box, it's definitely worth it. We gave enabling the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System a bash but didn't have any luck :( When following the guide from the TPMS thread (thanks for the info Cruiser89), when we got to channel 37 in VCDS it would only store 2 values (as opposed to the required 4). Seems to be the same for a few other users trying this on MY2010's. If anyone with a MY2010 has this from factory I'd be very much interested to see what coding you have.

Next on the mod list for me is some puddle / warning lights in the doors to match the footwells and also some power fold mirrors.

Thanks again to Jonny, Robin, Trups and Tim :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great write up. I am due to get him to install a few mods next week so looking forward to the same result. I have the full interior light pack on the list including the map reading lights, door puddle and warning lights, footwell lights and the little lights behind the door handles.

i am looking at having the TPMS installed too but a bit worried now that a MY2010 cannot have it coded. When I spoke to him before he was confident that we could get it done but means a switch on the dash? Anyway great results.

Great write up. I am due to get him to install a few mods next week so looking forward to the same result. I have the full interior light pack on the list including the map reading lights, door puddle and warning lights, footwell lights and the little lights behind the door handles.

i am looking at having the TPMS installed too but a bit worried now that a MY2010 cannot have it coded. When I spoke to him before he was confident that we could get it done but means a switch on the dash? Anyway great results.

I swapped my interior lights for the map lights a couple of months ago... that was all I wanted to do, but then I got the interior light bug. After doing the footwell lights, I'm looking to do puddle / warning next and then maybe the door handles too (the joys of owning a Sportback means that'll be quite expensive!).

From what I know (only from reading various posts on this forum) the TPMS on 2010+ cars is done via DIS. Cars up to 2009 were done via a button on the dash. There was an instance recently of a girl that appeared on the forums with a 2010 A3 that had TPMS fitted from factory wondering how to reset the warning message and it turned out to be via DIS... http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/173941-how-do-i-reset-tpms.html

It may still work via a button, but for the sake of keeping costs down I'm hoping to find the solution to getting it done via DIS - ideally no buttons or wires, just a bit of coding.

Get some pics up when you've been to visit him mate :)

I'm really liking those flush fit cobras. I notice that they are black straight out of the box. Did they have to be painted or were they fitted as is? Curious as my A3 is black.

I'm thinking about getting these fitted as an alternative to sourcing OEM parts.

The footwell lights look great mate.

Sprayed to match the car mate :) they're designed to be painted to match the car's paint.

Also - forgot to mention. The distance between the car and the obstacle you're reversing against can be custom set when the sensors are installed which is useful if you've got a tow bar.

And before I forget - thanks to Robin (RobinA3) for the front and rear footwell looms, and Trups (t8ups) for the LED lights to match. I installed these prior to traveling up to see Jonny so that he could code them as I don't have VCDS - to my surprise they actually worked (I didn't have that much confidence in my work!).

Here they are on with the doors open...

cu03F.jpg

gCLqR.jpg

And with the headlights or sidelights on (brightness 10%)...

SF9S3.jpg

They can be programmed in DIS to be anywhere from 0%-100%.

Can this be coded with MY09 cars too? So that the lights stay at 10% all the time instead of going completely off after the door slams?

Also - forgot to mention. The distance between the car and the obstacle you're reversing against can be custom set when the sensors are installed which is useful if you've got a tow bar.

Don't really need sensors if you have a tow-bar.......:undwech:

Can this be coded with MY09 cars too? So that the lights stay at 10% all the time instead of going completely off after the door slams?

Yeah I think it does. Try this in VCDS (sorry for the copy / paste)...

STG 09 (network control unit) select
STG coding -> function 07
Byte enable 12-bit 5

Forgot to mention - when you enable this you should get an option in your DIS menu to set the brightness of the footwell lights. I think default is 0% so you may not think it's worked at first until you change it.

Last edited:
Reactions: a6_chris
Thanks for the photo's of the parking sensors. I've just bought my A4 B8 at auction and was a bit surprised to find there are no *** (particularly as Parkers explicitly said the were) but never mind it's a cracking car otherwise. As our previous car had them and with it being the Avant too I'd like to add them on and the Cobra kit seems the way to go.

Do you know if those are the A0158 (25mm) or the A0258 (22mm) sensors? Just curious as Cobra do both and I'll probably buy the latest and greatest and fit them myself since Leeds is a long way from Southend but either way yours look great.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks for the photo's of the parking sensors. I've just bought my A4 B8 at auction and was a bit surprised to find there are no *** (particularly as Parkers explicitly said the were) but never mind it's a cracking car otherwise. As our previous car had them and with it being the Avant too I'd like to add them on and the Cobra kit seems the way to go.

Do you know if those are the A0158 (25mm) or the A0258 (22mm) sensors? Just curious as Cobra do both and I'll probably buy the latest and greatest and fit them myself since Leeds is a long way from Southend but either way yours look great.

Cheers,
Steve

I believe it was these ones...

Park Master A0356/358/359 17mm Flush Mount Sensors — Products — Cobra Vehicle Security

17mm.

Thanks Tempy/Jameze, Don't know how I missed those on the Cobra site but those are the ones, that link also does colour codes which is great and even better I get to buy from somewhere called the 'Vag Shop'! My wife is always telling me I need to grow up but, I'm sorry, that is awesome.

......I get to buy from somewhere called the 'Vag Shop'! My wife is always telling me I need to grow up but, I'm sorry, that is awesome.

:laugh: I can see a few guys trying to explain that one away to their partners when the credit card bill comes in. I wonder if they sell lubricant?

How difficult is it to install the reversing sensor kit? and anyone on the north side (the right side) :pof the boarder fitting such kits?

Last edited:
Jonny does some great work...rear parking sensors work a treat for me. Good lad as well!

How far North we talking? Get in touch with Jonny (jb0o), he might be able to accommodate. He fitted mine and did a great job as usual. It was fitted different to how I expected it would be, I thought the holes were drilled but Jonny used a special little tool that cuts through the bumper leaving a neat and tidy edge :)

How far North we talking? Get in touch with Jonny (jb0o), he might be able to accommodate. He fitted mine and did a great job as usual. It was fitted different to how I expected it would be, I thought the holes were drilled but Jonny used a special little tool that cuts through the bumper leaving a neat and tidy edge :)

Days of drilling are long gone now. Cutters all the way. Creates a very sexy looking beveled edge :D

Days of drilling are long gone now. Cutters all the way. Creates a very sexy looking beveled edge :D

Not that I'd ever have the nerve to, but I'm glad I didn't attempt it myself. Would have fallen at the first hurdle! Haha

Are these sensors directional? MY 3 series sensors only made a sound in the direction of the obstruction which was obviously very useful...

Any idea what that tool might be called? I was just going to use a drill with a corer on but if there's a new bit of kit to be bought then it sounds good to me. I watched a YouTube clip of someone fitting the ps to an A4 and he used the drill but then some kind of hand tool (almost looked like a little violin bow) to clean up the edges. Unfortunately it was in Polish or something so I couldn't understand what he was saying.

Ive tried googling but it's tricky when you don't have a name to start from.

Cheers

Are these sensors directional? MY 3 series sensors only made a sound in the direction of the obstruction which was obviously very useful...

They don't know, that would be useful though! I assume that's through the speakers? These aftermarket sensors have a little speaker that Jonny positioned within the boot (behind the cover on the left hand side which covers the subwoofer - ideal as there's a grille just where the boot light is so the sound isn't muffled).

Any idea what that tool might be called? I was just going to use a drill with a corer on but if there's a new bit of kit to be bought then it sounds good to me. I watched a YouTube clip of someone fitting the ps to an A4 and he used the drill but then some kind of hand tool (almost looked like a little violin bow) to clean up the edges. Unfortunately it was in Polish or something so I couldn't understand what he was saying.

Ive tried googling but it's tricky when you don't have a name to start from.

Cheers

No idea mate, I merely watched the magic happen. I'm sure there'll be someone on here who installs sensors and will be able to advise you though.

Loving the oem look of these....

Does anyone know how they fix to the rear of the bumper? Just looking at these or original Audi ones and can't decide :-(

Loving the oem look of these....

Does anyone know how they fix to the rear of the bumper? Just looking at these or original Audi ones and can't decide :-(

From what I can remember when it was fitted it's just a very sticky pad shaped like a 'O'. It sticks around the hole to the inside of the bumper, and then you stick the sensor to the sticky pad.

Thanks for the response,

How are you liking them after having them for a while? Any issues and do you think they will last a good while with the sticky pad?

They're excellent. I honestly don't know how I've lasted so long without them and if my next car doesn't have them already then this will be my first mod on the list.

The pads seemed pretty sticky so I can't see them ever coming off - probably similar to the stuff used on the boot badges. The pack came with alcohol wipes to clean the surface for maximum adhesion so I can't see it ever being a problem.

They don't know, that would be useful though! I assume that's through the speakers? These aftermarket sensors have a little speaker that Jonny positioned within the boot (behind the cover on the left hand side which covers the subwoofer - ideal as there's a grille just where the boot light is so the sound isn't muffled).

Yeah, the BMW system was really good, it used the radio speakers to pinpoint the direction. I'd guess a single speaker is less effective although still handy. It shold be fitted as standard if you ask me... is it an expensive job?

Yeah, the BMW system was really good, it used the radio speakers to pinpoint the direction. I'd guess a single speaker is less effective although still handy. It shold be fitted as standard if you ask me... is it an expensive job?

It would be handy to know if the obstruction was left, right or centre. It's a shame the set doesn't come with 2 speakers to have either side. Just being aware that there's something behind me is good enough for me though (having reversed into a post prior to getting these fitted!), or how close I am to something when reverse parking.

Jonny supplied and fitted them, colour coded to match, for £159 which seemed a pretty decent deal. If you're confident enough to do it yourself though then you'd probably save a few quid as with any mod.

That is a really good price, ebay seem around £95 for just the bits and seen a few sites at £80. Painted and fitted for £159 is an absolute bargain.

He's based in Hartlepool but it's not a bad drive from Leeds. If I'm not mistake though, I think it was a special offer he was running throughout December. It can't hurt to drop him a PM though and see what the current going rate is (jb0o).

Yeah I think it does. Try this in VCDS (sorry for the copy / paste)...

Byte enable 12-bit 5

Forgot to mention - when you enable this you should get an option in your DIS menu to set the brightness of the footwell lights. I think default is 0% so you may not think it's worked at first until you change it.

Does the lights stay on while driving ?

Does the lights stay on while driving ?

Only when the sidelights or headlights are switched on. Brightness of 0-100% can be selected, I find 10% to be perfect with Trups' LED's.

Only when the sidelights or headlights are switched on. Brightness of 0-100% can be selected, I find 10% to be perfect with Trups' LED's.

Where in VCDS do I do this ?

Byte enable 12-bit 5

Car is looking nice!

Digzz that looks like a 2009 onwards coding thing as im pretty sure we don't have that on our year car. On mine I have an oem led bar (red ambient light) connected to the interior ambient system that comes on when the lights are on.

What is the part number for the footwell looms and how much did they set you back?