Clutch upgrade

Buckie

Reaction score
Hi all I’ve an A3 2.0 TDI BKD 2008 and I’m running around 220/240 bhp and I need to upgrade the clutch. The DMF makes a terrible noise on start up and even worse on shut down and judders bad when accelerating from 50mph in 5th/6th.
what upgrade would you guys recommend please?
Been told to do the solid flywheel conversion so what’s peoples experience with this and what’s a good quality make etc?
Thank you.

We have just changed the clutch on our Mk 4 GTi 1.8T. Rather than replace like with like using a DMF, we have gone with the SMF from a G60 Corrado plus a friction and pressure plate from a VR6. Excellent torque holding capabilities and no rattling. With a SMF conversion it is important to use a flywheel of a similar mass to the DMF to avoid rattling. If you are anywhere near the Midlands, give Midland VW a call as they fitted our clutch and are quite innovative with component combinations to produce a good clutch.

Reactions: Buckie and desertstorm
I will be upgrading the clutch soon. Open to suggestions but it'll be a sachs performance clutch

I will be upgrading the clutch soon. Open to suggestions but it'll be a sachs performance clutch
Assuming that you have a TFSI engine Midland VW are exploring using a TTRS flywheel and presssure plate combined with a TDI friction plate. Apparently good for 400 lb ft at least. Maybe less pedal effort than the Sachs and also smoother operation. We have the Sachs in a TT FSI and it can be a bit on and off.

unfortunately no, its a 2.0 tdi fwd (8PA). Idea is to take it from 190bhp to 260-280 (?!??). Sachs performance clutch + Quaife LSD