Clutch slipping....

Steve_T

6th gear!
Reaction score
Website
www.chipshopqueue.co.uk
Over the last few days i have noticed that my clutch has started to slip. I was going to work this morning and put my foot down in 6th and it went up about 1000rpm normalily then hit the turbo and just flew up another 2000rpm without getting faster! So im guessing that the clutch now needs to be replaced.

I have also had a few strange problems with the clutch pedal going to the floor and staying there or not returning all the way after being pressed down.

So.......

Where should i get a new clutch? what am i looking to pay?

Should i go OEM? or what are the options?

i have also been told to get shot of the dual mass fly wheel and put in a solid one.

and that i will need to replace the slave cylinder.

anything else i should get done at the same time?

Cheers
Steve

alright steve,
i had the same problem a few weeks ago,,not an s3 but the same applies,it makes sence to do a clutch kit rather then just the clutch as pulling the box off just to do the thrust bearing in the future will be a pain in the ***,i put a solid fly wheel in mine and it feels alot better,not as smooth but more of a kick in the back what we like :),deffoooo recomended a solid,a dual mass wil just break down if your running high power or driving it like you stole it lol,i had a clutch kit fitted with solid fly wheel and i only paid 400 but i do only have a A3 turbo not an s3:( i no some 1 who had a clutch fitted to there s3 and it cost 800 i think so not good lol,

Have a read of http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...33-brake-problem-really-doin-my-head-now.html which I mentioned about clutch.

If you haven’t done high mileage, and haven’t been thrashing the car around, then it may be worth getting the brake/clutch fluid replaced and save yourself $$$. Best way of testing the clutch wear, is to lift the hand brake up, engage first gear, and then slowly lift up the clutch pedal. Car should creep forward, however if your engine revs and there doesn’t seem to be any resistance, then you clutch is knackered.

It turned out that it was the slave. there was brake fluid everywhere and clutch and flywheel were nackered! And it would appear that it was slipping more than i thought. When driving at 70mph it was at 3.5k now it sits at 2.8k. Even with that much slip it still went like stink!

Feels like a new car now! :)

how long did the job take? on axel stands? or ramp? I am guessing you didn't have to remove the engine? or did you! thanks

A friend done it for me. it was up on the ramp and aparently the whole gearbox had to come out. He's a pro and it took him (with and assistant for some bits) just over a day.

Thanks for the info. I know its a lengthy job.. glad you got it fixed. I bet it shows better MPG compared to what it was as well. did mine at summer but a few hard launches have ****** it again I think. :)

It turned out that it was the slave. there was brake fluid everywhere and clutch and flywheel were nackered! And it would appear that it was slipping more than i thought. When driving at 70mph it was at 3.5k now it sits at 2.8k. Even with that much slip it still went like stink!

Feels like a new car now! :)

70mph in what gear?

Thanks for the info. I know its a lengthy job.. glad you got it fixed. I bet it shows better MPG compared to what it was as well. did mine at summer but a few hard launches have ****** it again I think. :)

Yeah the MPG seems to be going up to now sitting at 33 ish instead of 30

Happy days!

70mph in what gear?

Cheers. Must test my car on the way home! Clutch is feeling a lot looser, but I don't seem to be getting any slipping. Tried all the usual methods, like letting the clutch out with the handbrake on, or dropping it into 5/6th gear when doing 30mph etc.

i just thought thats how it was untill i was on the dual doing about 50 in 6th and put my foot flat down and as soon at it got to 3k the revs just flew up! it was still pulling a bit but when you let the rev down you could feel it bite again.

i just thought thats how it was untill i was on the dual doing about 50 in 6th and put my foot flat down and as soon at it got to 3k the revs just flew up! it was still pulling a bit but when you let the rev down you could feel it bite again.

Ah, I've been there before on an older car, half way through 100 miles journey! Just checked my revs in 6th at 70mph, and it sits nicely at 2.8K revs. Happy days :)

Mind me asking, how much did your parts cost (clutch, flywheel, master cylinder) ?

Parts were best part of £400 and that was for a new DMF, Clutch Kit, Slave and master cylinders. and a wedge to get them all fitted. parts Supplied by GSF in Ipswich