Clutch slip

george forbes

Reaction score
Ever since I purchased my 2015 S3 about a year ago I have occasionally suffered from clutch slip under hard acceleration in high gears . Day to day driving and quick acceleration in lower gears have never been an issue. I understand the theory behind it all and have read all the posts about replacing clutches but my question is if I avoid loading the clutch in higher gears to the extreme could this clutch last a long time yet or will it still deteriorate quite quickly and cause further damage to other components. I don't really fancy spending nigh on a grand to replace when it is never really given a lot of abuse.

Ever since I purchased my 2015 S3 about a year ago I have occasionally suffered from clutch slip under hard acceleration in high gears . Day to day driving and quick acceleration in lower gears have never been an issue. I understand the theory behind it all and have read all the posts about replacing clutches but my question is if I avoid loading the clutch in higher gears to the extreme could this clutch last a long time yet or will it still deteriorate quite quickly and cause further damage to other components. I don't really fancy spending nigh on a grand to replace when it is never really given a lot of abuse.
It won't cause damage to anything. Think the friction plates just wear out over time. Like with anything that's on its way out, the more gentle you are, the more life you'll get from it.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: george forbes
When mine was removed at 25K it was evident that only a small portion of the friction material had actually been clamped and had been wearing. You could still see the writing on the faces of the friction plate. Normal driving and spirited driving in low gears is unaffected, I'm assuming due to the torque difference. So in short the clutch should last for quite some time with no detriment. Just avoid heavy foot in higher gears.

Reactions: george forbes
mine didnt last long at all once it started slipping. As others have said any slipping at all accelerates the wear. I too thought I could put up with it but mine went from only slipping a bit between aggressive gear changes to borderline undriveable in the space of a few months.

Mine started with a little flutter but I just got it in and a new clutch installed @ 8k.

That was with some performance mods haha.

My FL was slipping at 20k, 2 yrs old. Audi replaced under warranty thankfully, no quibbles but a bit of a saga. They didn't know it was a wet clutch? Had to order tools from Germany....took them near 2 weeks to complete, admittedly this was over the christmas break though.

20,800 miles - clutch slip in 5th,6th, Lake District Audi- wanting to charge £500 j7st to check if there's a defect!
If so warranty would cover it -
If not £1,400 for a clutch- flywheel if needed- another £600 - £2000 - I just laughed at that !
Looks at Indie garage- £750 - 800 fitted - extra £300 if flywheel is needed.
This is for Sachs Performance Clutch- sadly my last Audi.

Poole Audi send you out with a technician, found that flooring it in 7th set on manual would make it slip almost 1.5k revs up and down, was pretty indisputable... shame they didn't torque the steering rack back on correctly, and when the knocking didn't cease they hadn't secured the top bracket on the gearbox either!

- sadly my last Audi.

Yes, quite. My car has developed quite a few annoying rattles when going over bumps now as well. It seems that the quality of their product and service has gone down the toilet. Premium brand yeah right, beyond the fancy franchise showrooms the rest of it sucks.
As much as Id love lets say a new RS3 or something I don't think Id buy another Audi, especially since BMW have xdrive in their M cars I think I'd be tempted to go for an M4 instead. (realistically my next car will probably be electric though)