Clutch slip?

batwad

Reaction score
Driving home last night I thought I detected my clutch slipping :sob: I was in 4th gear and put my foot down and thought I heard the revs surge but not in line with my acceleration.

This morning I thought I'd do some testing, so when presented with some clear opportunities I put my foot down. I found that when trundling along doing a little over 2,000rpm (~45mph in 4th gear) if I buried my right foot the revs would surge to about 3,000rpm before dropping slightly. My speed did not increase in line with the increase in revs, and this effect was less noticeable in 3rd gear and more so in 5th. It seemed far more dependent on revs rather than speed. There was no wheelspin in any of the tests.

Does this sound like a clutch on its way out to you? The car's three years old and has done just over 40k miles. I bought it four months ago as an Audi Approved Used. Do Audi warranty clutches for any length of time?

id say its time for a new clutch, and wouldnt usually be covered under warranty, its a wear and tear item.

just learn to use the throttle a little more gently, not just on and off, it will preserve the life of your clutch :)

Classic slipping clutch behaviour. I doubt it will be covered under warranty as it's wear and tear. Worth seeing what the dealer says though as you've only had it three months, they may give you a discount at least.

Darn, I feared as much. Any idea how much longer it's likely to last before becoming seriously crock?

Mine worked for several months with this problem, and at times it went away completely, only to return a week later (weather related?). It started to get worse and I got it replaced. I guess it could fail completely at any time though.

Good point, it has been awfully cold of late. Maybe I won't put the RNS-E on hold just yet and see how things fair :)

Its normal for a slight bit of hesistance which is down to the Dual Mass flywheel but for the rev's to surge up quite a bit usually points to clutch. Get it done before it leads to other problems.