Clutch slip on stage 1

CarlT777

Reaction score
Hi,
Is clutch slip common on a manual S3 300/310 at stage 1 remap?

Yes. the manual clutch is not up to the job and for quite a few owners (myself included) it doesnt last very long even when the car is standard.

Needs an updated clutch like Sachs. Quite a few on here have reported slippage from very low mileage. Mine started slipping at just over 23k.

Ok, also, there is a better exhaust note with semi -auto box compared to manual? Is this the case for all new shape S3's (8V)

Cant really comment on the difference, but if it noise your after, just fit a milltek non res non valved. Works a treat for a better exhaust note.

Last edited:
Its a 4 pot engine its never going to sound amazing, but they have done a fairly decent job with the exhaust tuning IMO and its fairly loud in standard form on full throttle. I believe you can get pops and bangs out of the autos.

Cheers, not looking to add custom exhaust, seems like the auto may suit me better then,

You get the dsg fart sounds on the autos.
Mine gets the odd pop and bang on overrun but not all the time.

Cheers, not looking to add custom exhaust, seems like the auto may suit me better then,

If you arent fussed either way and are planning on stage 1 tune then yes. It will save you shelling out 1300 quid or so on a new clutch. I didnt really like the auto when I test drove one but after being in an auto courtesy A5 for 2 months I did get use to its slight quirks and actually wouldn't mind one now tbh, as it makes general cruising around completely effortless. Happy in the manual also (after replacing the clutch).

Ok, so it isn't essential to get the DSG software when having a stage 1 remap from revo?

If I knew then what I know now about manual boxes on these cars I'd of definitely gone auto. Coming from an RS3 to this manual is a big disappointment. Stage 1 with clutch and DMF in May with awesome gti. Looking forward to using full throttle again.

Ok, so it isn't essential to get the DSG software when having a stage 1 remap from revo?

Revo Stage 1 here, no it’s not essential. I haven’t got it and a lot of people say for Stage 1 a TCU/DSG map isn’t needed. I’m going Stage 2 in a few weeks and will be adding a Stage 2 DSG map however.

Ps - Revo is a fanatasic map and worth the money.