Clutch slip.... Grrrrrr

P

PaulMc

I have an Oct 2008 (58) S3 8P and owned from new. The car was serviced approx 3-4 weeks ago and maybe just coincidently, a week after the service I was getting what appeared to be clutch slip in 4th, 5th and 6th gears and from 4000RPM to about 4500RPM. I wasn't sure what it was at first and really noticed only on WOT joining motorways etc.
The car has nothing more than a full Milltek (incl cats) exhaust fitted.

I have always driven with repsect to transmission, clutch etc and never give it full beans from a standstill, no track days or drag runs. AND the annoying thing is the car had only just done 19k miles!

The 'slip' was not consistent but did take me by surprise on a car with so few miles. I have owned many high performance cars and NEVER had to replace a clutch!

With a long trip to Cornwall and back the car has done just over 20k miles. During that trip I didn't really notice any clutch slip.

So, lastweek took the car to Backdraft Motorsport in MK for a Revo Stage 2 remap. Superb outfit and really know their stuff with the TFSI engine as they are the prime tuners for the KTM Xbow.

Immediately after the remap the clutch slip is back all the time with WOT from 4k rpm in 4th, 5th gears. Strangley WOT from low revs doesn't give any symptoms.
Reading through many posts here, I see that the clutch is an issue and seems to be made of cheese.

So, with low mileage, and with 7 months remaining on the warranty I am going to get BDM to remove the remap and take the car to a dealer and get them to replace that standard clutch. Or at least come to some agreement on cost and payment.

How long will the standard clutch last for with the remap back on, 10k miles? Worst case I will try and arrange for audi to supply the DMF and labour free of charge and under waranty and I will pay for the Sachs upgrade clutch kit.

Comments and advice welcomed.

unfortunately the OEM clutches are made of paper on these cars!

you generally dont get clutch slip at low revs even on WOT because thats not where max torque is achieved, its slipping at 4k+ as thats when the car is on full boost & producing max torque

at stage 2 you should get a good few thousand miles out of it, if your kind to it, but id put a little money aside each month to cover you for the day when it does give up as you will need about £1200 for everything, parts & labour

Thanks for the reply. I have seen a few of your posts and comments on other threads on this subject. Very dissapointed with Audi quality on certain items with these cars. A clutch should last longer than 20k miles!

Next stop Audi dealer. I'll let you know how I get on. If at all. :whistle2:

its just them penny pinching, thinking they can get away with a clutch thats designed for a standard 2.0T, save a couple hundred pounds per car and soon enough your looking at an extra couple hundred thousand pounds worth of profit

good luck tho with the dealer, from what some people have said you stand a good chance with getting it resolved

Car booked in to Wayside MK Audi for them to have a look and decide if they will honour a warranty claim.

Who here HAS had this as a successful warranty calim and have you a job number or dealer that did it? I can use this to back up my claim and prove that a clutch should last more than 19k miles.

Make a fuss that you feel vibration from your flywheel - they will not replace (officially) the clutch under warrenty if its just the clutch that is the problem as it is considered as a wear and tear item.

Mine went around 23k but l had been running stg 2+ for about 7k, mind you not a revo map.

Is this now sorted on newer cars ?

Also ...how well does DSG stand up to remap on these S3 type contraptions once you sort the mapping out for Audi :)

Last edited:
There is a remap for the DSG software but l dont think you will end up with the same figures as a manual.

Thats odd because the DSG should be quicker. I just wondered about the clutches.

Would be good to find out, they put a DSG in the 3ltr d A5 and thats putting down 500lb/ft

The DSG box on the 2.0TFSI can actually handle much much more then the manual car's clutch can-around 370-380 with the right software.
Steve Jnr @Statller has been thru 2 however but hes pushin over 400 lb ft and has water meth injection!

I'm going to ask the Audi technician(s) if the latest S3's have a stronger clutch or if it the same part number, spec etc. I'll let you know. Wonder what the RS3 clutch looks like compared to ours. I know it is DSG, but obviously can handle a bit more power.

How did you get on with this claim? Did they replace the clutch?