Clutch Slave cylinder gone again

Ian W

Reaction score
Right, not sure where I stand with this with regards to the garage who did the work on my car.

Just under two years ago my clutch slave cylinder went so I ended up with a new clutch, slave, dual mass flywheel etc which cost the best part of a £1000.

Now, 20k later looks like the slave has gone again, same symptons as last time, spongy, low pedal, not much rebound on it.

Its back in the place that did the job today getting the fault confirmed but im no sure where I stand with regards to paying to get it all done again. I know parts fail over time and with wear and tear but a £1000 job that only lasts two years is bad news.

What would you guys do? I'm fully expecting them to come back and say its only covered by 12 months warrenty.

Tough one to call really, you shouldnt need a new flywheel this time round, and it doesnt sound like its completly failed as when my slave cylinder failed i had no pedal at all as there was no presure so the pedal went to floor. If no fluid has got on to the clutch this wont need replacing either you'll just have to fork out for the labour (1 day) and the cost of the new slave cylinder and wheel alignment. If its just spongey it could be air in the system or possibly the master cylinder on its way out which will be a lot less to fix.

id take it else where and make sure they fit decent parts.

the parts will only have a warrenty for 1 year, covering the cost of the part only. as a gesture of good will they may deduct some labour cost, but i wouldnt hold my breath waiting for them to offer it

just do your best to make sure decent quality parts are going in

Update - Master Cylinder this time.

Should get it back tomorrow.

****** cars, no wonder I never have any money :sadlike:

Would you know how to test to see if it the master cylinder as my clutch is spongy and low sometime then goes back to normal if I give the clutch pedal a hard press

Nathan

Can't help you with testing it mate.

Only difference between the slave and the master going from what have seen is that when my slave went it was leaking from the box.

I'm sure there is a better way to test it though lol

Ye that would make sense. I have some dirt etc at the bottom of my box so will clean it off and watch it for the next few weeks.

Nathan

Update - Master Cylinder this time.

Should get it back tomorrow.

****** cars, no wonder I never have any money :sadlike:

Personally, I'm surprised they did not replace the Master cylinder last time. I was advised to get mine changed at the same time when my slave went last year.

At least the master swap is a quick job with no engine & box drop required, so minimal labour costs...

Cheers,

Right, not sure where I stand with this with regards to the garage who did the work on my car.

Just under two years ago my clutch slave cylinder went so I ended up with a new clutch, slave, dual mass flywheel etc which cost the best part of a £1000.

Now, 20k later looks like the slave has gone again, same symptons as last time, spongy, low pedal, not much rebound on it.

Its back in the place that did the job today getting the fault confirmed but im no sure where I stand with regards to paying to get it all done again. I know parts fail over time and with wear and tear but a £1000 job that only lasts two years is bad news.

What would you guys do? I'm fully expecting them to come back and say its only covered by 12 months warrenty.

yep, 12 month parts warranty only, and that would be the part not the labour fitting it at best
suky thing I know..
shyte design part and crap manufacture

friends S3 went through 3 of these in 2 years - done by audi, and they picked up "some" of the bill as they did fail within 12 months on one occasion

Get my car back later.

Whoever says there isn't a difference between VAG brands needs to give there head a wobble, been driving an Octavia the last few days, same age as my S3 with 8k more on the clock and its awful. Not a patch on the Audi !