clutch question

mattm

BLACK EDITION
Reaction score
so i start my car, put it in 1st and without putting my foot on the accelerator, release my foot from clutch and it drives away? what are the causes????

cheers

Normally when you take your foot off the clutch the car moves. its called being in gear. Try putting it in 2nd, if it stalls it means you need to give it a few more beans.

LMAO yeah thanks for pointing the obvious.

As ive never experienced "clutch slip" I thought I mine was slipping.....

Oh and I asked because most petrol cars I drive, you have to give it gas or else it will stall.

only small power - low CC engines should stall when you gently let the clutch out with no gas. Doesnt sound like there is anything wrong with your clutch - if you want to check, put it in 4th realese the clutch and if it doesnt stall straight away then your clutch is shot. I stand to be corrected if this isnt the preferred method. ;)

Perfectly normal behaviour for a car with a fair sized engine and enough torque to drive itself at a slow speed.

I can remember what happened when a mate of mine accidentally started his 540 BMW in gear by leaning in through the door - that thing shifted! Fortunately we all managed to get out of the way and the car stopped itself by ramming firstly into my Ibiza (which it pushed out of the way, despite it having the handbrake on!) and came to rest in a wall. That was just at tickover!

Diesels are notorious for pulling on tickover, but as everyone else has said completely normal, big engines can pull the car without putting your foot down.

Even low CC cars pull away as long you go slow enough on the clutch, such as my old fiesta 1.2 ghia, gem of a car until the clutch fluid starting leaking :( What I didnt expect was pulling away on the clutch in 1st and shifting into second still with clutch only and the car speeding up rather than straining, I guess its built enough speed up in first to happily go in second.