1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clutch pedal to floor - dont believe it is brake leak

Stuart B Dec 20, 2017

1. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

so I pressurised the clutch at the weekend after being towed last Thursday - the clutch held pressure well for 4 days and I drove around the block without any issues.
    yesterday I drove 17 miles to work and 16 miles in the clutch lost some pressure, topped up and re-pressurised the pedal last 2 miles.
    re-pressurised in the office it last 1 hour standing without engine running - managed to get home stuck in gear and re-pressurising once clear of the motorway.

so essentially I can still get some pressure in the clutch by it soon loses the pressure - I am sure this is not a brake line issue and limited to the clutch - maybe ruined after air getting into the system?
    either way whatever.. is my first point of call the clutch master cylinder in the footwell? I still have no idea where the fluid has gone I have lost nearly a litre? surely not all from bleeding!

Audi S3 2001 AMK

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Stuart B

Hi, So I can see some brake fluid around the master cylinder - it is actually leaking inside the car but down behind a bit of raised from the driver foot.
    I assume this is definitely the clutch master cylinder, rather than a seal connecting to the master cylinder and trickling around it?

mastercylinder1.jpg

4. Silva bullet

Silva bullet Member

Hello mate did u get your pedal sorted.
    From your pics does seem like your master cylinder is slightly weeping bur but don't know if it's suppose to appear abit oily as when I did my clutch pedal I remember seeing the master abit oily.
    Functionality seems 100 % so all good there then..
    Low oil as you've mentioned before maybe?
    All in all may well be a winter related like my bams prone to lol

5. Stuart B

there is a puddle underneath the car about there and I have used 1 litre of brake fluid in getting the pedal pressure and then driving to work re-bleeding after 15 miles and then re-bleeding twice at the office and then re-bleeding half way home.

it must be the master cylinder - even with fluid in and bled the pedal needed pumping as it naturally lost some pressure. the engine running makes the pressure drop quite quickly I reckon vacuum makes it leak quicker.

I was wondering whether the master cylinder connector or o-ring might have been leaking and was travelling into the car through the bulk-head.

do you know if it is possible to change the clutch master cylinder o-ring without removing the pedal?

6. mrsingh2u

mrsingh2u Member

just change the master cylinder - they're cheap enough

pig of a job though - interwebs is misleading on how easy it is... or maybe i just had rotten luck with it lol

7. Stuart B

Thanks I know they are only ~ £35
    My concern is the effort involved in getting under the dash and behind the manifold to undo the pipes. Pretty sure it's the master cylinder - weekend I suppose

8. mrsingh2u

mrsingh2u Member

My advice is to start as early as possible in the day so you still have daylight left by the time you finish, and have a helper on the ready, as sometimes the master cylinder fitting can be a pain in the backside to get in

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

9. Stuart B

does anyone know where I can get this bit of clutch plastic from?

upload_2017-12-30_20-20-20.png

I reckon it got lost and meant that the clutch pedal pulled on the master cylinder causing the damage leading to the leak as my new master cylinder keeps pulling out of the pedal and there is no way that Audi would have designed a clutch pedal resting metal on metal.

Thanks

10. Stuart B

scrap that I just bought one for a tenner on fleabay

11. Stuart B

grrrr - I found where my clutch fluid was going, slave cylinder knackered by the looks of it. I assume this is gearbox off? may as well change the clutch at the same time if that's the case, at least it had replacement driveshafts last year so they wont be seized on. I'm surprised the oil hasn't contaminated the clutch.

clutchslaveissue.jpg

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Stuart B

grasping at straws here - but is it possibly the o-ring where the t -piece joins the S3 slave cylinder / release bearing connector and if so is that reachable leaving the transmission etc all connected still, and it is simply trickling down the inside of the bell-housing?

14. antwan64og

antwan64og Active Member

Does the box need to come out on the 02m?

I got to the top bolt taking the air box out and the bottom bolt from underneath with it jacked up on the 02j

15. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

slave is in the bell housing so if dripping/leaking its box off job

16. Stuart B

Thanks Bill - decisions decisions